Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche reviving 718 name for new Boxster and Cayman (Update Post #26)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 04:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Porsche reviving 718 name for new Boxster and Cayman (Update Post #26)

Press:

Boxster and Cayman to be branded as 718 model range next year
Porsche's mid-engine sports cars to receive new name

Atlanta, Georgia. The mid-engine sports cars from Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG will be named 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman, respectively, when the models are introduced over the course of 2016. The 718 designation is a reference to the ground-breaking sports car Porsche introduced back in 1957, which achieved great success in a number of renowned car races. The 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman will share more similarities than ever before – both visually and technically. In the future, both will have equally powerful turbocharged flat-four cylinder engines. The Roadster will be positioned at a higher price level than the Coupe – as is the case with the 911 models.

The 718 model range is driven by the four-cylinder concept and the history of distinguished Porsche sports cars. The latest example is the 919 Hybrid LMP1 race car, which is powered by a highly-efficient, turbocharged 2.0 liter four-cylinder engine. This powerplant not only helped Porsche finish first and second in the 24 hours of Le Mans, but it also helped win the manufacturer's and driver's championship titles in the World Endurance Championship (WEC) this year. With these victories, the 919 Hybrid has showcased the performance potential of future sports car engines from Porsche.

History of the 718: flat-four cylinder engine has achieved many racing victories

Flat-four cylinder engines have a long tradition at Porsche – and they have enjoyed incredible success. In the late 1950s, the 718 – a successor to the legendary Porsche 550 Spyder – represented the highest configuration level of the flat-four cylinder engine. Whether it was at the 12-hour race in Sebring in 1960 or the European Hill Climb Championship which ran between 1958 and 1961, the Porsche 718 prevailed against numerous competitors with its powerful and efficient flat-four cylinder engine. The 718 took first place twice between 1959 and 1960 at the legendary Italian Targa Florio race in Sicily. At the 24 Hours of Le Mans race in 1958, the 718 RSK with its 142-hp four-cylinder engine achieved a significant class victory.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/09/p...yman-official/
Old 12-09-15, 07:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Good post, Hoovey.

By sports-car standards, I've always liked how the Boxster drove.....and had great respect for its engineering. I did a full-review on one a couple of years ago, and, while it didn't have Corvette-style power, it was one of the most perfectly-balanced cars I've ever sampled on a sharp turn. You could say about the the same for the Mazda Miata, balance-wise, but the Boxster had noticeably better refinement (it probably should, at twice the Miata's price LOL).........and, though I didn't actually drive one, I'd suspect the Cayman had even better handling because of the more rigid body structure and closed-roof.

An retired friend of mine (who once owned a restaurant I regularly ate at...he and I would talk cars every time I was there) ordered a brand-new silver Boxster back in March of 1997 when the car was just released....the media-hype on it from the auto press (and for the also-new BMW Z3) back then was tremendous. Porsche had one plant going, in Germany, for its production. You know how long he waited for his new car?.....THIRTEEN months. It was delivered in April of 1998....even with Porsche opening up a second plant in Finland for addition production from the huge demand. By the time he actually got his car, it was one model year old, although Boxsters were in such high demand at that time that depreciation was not much of an issue.

The only thing I never liked about the Boxster (and, for many owners, this is probably not an issue, since most of them don't do their own work) is the fact that there is no hood at all to the engine compartment.....it is completely buried beneath the upper bodywork, with only a couple of dipsticks/filler-extensions to service the engine with, unless you are a technician and go in from underneath.
Old 12-09-15, 11:07 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

It'll be interesting to see what reviewers think of the new engine.
Old 12-10-15, 01:22 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

The pricing information is what got my attention

I participated in a focus group for the Cayman prior to initial release and it was surprising that they priced the coupe higher than the Boxster vert

Now things are being back to normalcy with the vert at the higher price point
Old 12-10-15, 01:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

I participated in a focus group for the Cayman prior to initial release and it was surprising that they priced the coupe higher than the Boxster vert

Didn't the Cayman, though, when it first debuted, have a larger engine and more power than the Boxster? Some of the pricing may (?) have been justified.
Old 12-10-15, 04:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I actually like that they are adding the '718' in front of Boxster and Cayman. It falls in line with the 911 Carrera
Old 12-10-15, 05:38 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

MM, yes, the HP for the Cayman is above the Boxster and that is part of the pricing play and that holds true today..

For their current base models the 265 HP Boxster is $52,100 and the 275 HP Cayman is $52,600.

Moving over to the 911 Carrera, both have coupe and cab have 370 HP but there is a big price difference, $89,400 for the coupe and $101,700 for the cab.
Old 12-10-15, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

MM, yes, the HP for the Cayman is above the Boxster and that is part of the pricing play and that holds true today..

For their current base models the 265 HP Boxster is $52,100 and the 275 HP Cayman is $52,600.

Moving over to the 911 Carrera, both have coupe and cab have 370 HP but there is a big price difference, $89,400 for the coupe and $101,700 for the cab.

Yes, on both with the same engine, you have a point. The convertible would cost more to produce.....especially with the expensive and sophisticated pop-up roll bars that Porsche convertibles use.
Old 12-11-15, 10:23 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Besides wanting to sell the Cayman for as much profit as possible, Porsche had to cover the cost of tooling a machine to bend the quarter panels. Previous machines could not make that bend.
Old 12-11-15, 10:31 AM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Didn't the Cayman, though, when it first debuted, have a larger engine and more power than the Boxster? Some of the pricing may (?) have been justified.
Always same engines with more power from ECM programming.

Pic of engine thru upper access panel of 1st & 2nd gen Boxster. Cayman is similar. Eliminated on 991/981.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche reviving 718 name for new Boxster and Cayman (Update Post #26)-dsc01126.jpg  
Old 12-13-15, 06:55 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, on both with the same engine, you have a point. The convertible would cost more to produce.....especially with the expensive and sophisticated pop-up roll bars that Porsche convertibles use.
The pop-up roll bars contribute a necessary cost on a per-vehicle basis, but the huge expense is the additional design cost involved in chassis strengthening to make up for the loss of the fixed roof. For the 997, Porsche actually designed the convertible first under the theory that the coupe could just be pared down structurally, so it was better to figure out the more difficult design first. Not sure if they did this for the 991 also.
Old 12-13-15, 03:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
The pop-up roll bars contribute a necessary cost on a per-vehicle basis, but the huge expense is the additional design cost involved in chassis strengthening to make up for the loss of the fixed roof. For the 997, Porsche actually designed the convertible first under the theory that the coupe could just be pared down structurally, so it was better to figure out the more difficult design first. Not sure if they did this for the 991 also.
I know that's the way Ferrari has designed the 458 Italia and new 488 GTB. Same thing with the C7 Corvette, the convertible weighs within 100lbs of the coupe on the new Vette.
Old 12-13-15, 04:30 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminds me of Mazda changing the Miata to MX-5.
Old 12-13-15, 10:03 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I adore Porsche. Drove the new Boxster S recently and it was amazing. Only letdown was the electric steering which plagues all cars nowadays. Makes me want to never get rid of my E90 3-series BMW which had telepathic steering.
Old 12-14-15, 01:49 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Boxsters have always had fixed in place, fully functioning roll bars. Mine has the painted body color option.
Attached Thumbnails Porsche reviving 718 name for new Boxster and Cayman (Update Post #26)-gopr0636.jpg  

Quick Reply: Porsche reviving 718 name for new Boxster and Cayman (Update Post #26)