Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
mmarshall, the Cruze, Verano, and Opel models that are based on the Delta II platform are more than just a little related. Just like the GX470/FJ/4Runner are all very much similar vehicles, the Cruze and Verano are as well.
You have yet to provide any real evidence, however, to back up that statement. I've showed you factual data where the Cruze/Verano drivetrains and interiors are vastly different and the Verano/Astra are almost rebadged twins except for the engines. And this is probably not the forum to keep going on and on about it, either, since the thread topic is the new LaCrosse.
Old 11-23-15, 09:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You have yet to provide any real evidence, however, to back up that statement. I've showed you factual data where the Cruze/Verano drivetrains and interiors are vastly different and the Verano/Astra are almost rebadged twins except for the engines. And this is probably not the forum to keep going on and on about it, either, since the thread topic is the new LaCrosse.
Seriously mmarshall, I expect more from you, you already admitted it a few posts ago. Just the fact that they are both built on the Delta II platform is enough. I would not say that the Verano is a rebadged Cruze (nor would I say that they ES is a rebadged Avalon). BUT, the simple fact that the Verano/Cruze/Opel all share transmissions, engines (YES Astra models use the same Cruze engines). And the Excelle used the Cruze engines. Many of the part numbers underneath are the same, especially the part numbers for the beam rear axle. The Verano, Opel, and Cruze all even share the exact same 105.7 in wheelbase.

Even Consumer Reports flat out says that the Varano is based on the Cruze.

What more do you want?
Old 11-23-15, 09:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Seriously mmarshall, I expect more from you, you already admitted it a few posts ago. Just the fact that they are both built on the Delta II platform is enough. I would not say that the Verano is a rebadged Cruze (nor would I say that they ES is a rebadged Avalon). BUT, the simple fact that the Verano/Cruze/Opel all share transmissions, engines (YES Astra models use the same Cruze engines). And the Excelle used the Cruze engines. Many of the part numbers underneath are the same, especially the part numbers for the beam rear axle. The Verano, Opel, and Cruze all even share the exact same 105.7 in wheelbase.
OK, Jill, whatever you say.

I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only owned a Verano almost four years, so I have no idea how it's built.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 10:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

OK, Jill, whatever you say.

I don't know what I'm talking about. I've only owned a Verano almost four years, so I have no idea how it's built.
Ok, until another day!

Let's talk LaCrosse.
Old 09-21-16, 04:12 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CR Takes The 2017 Buick LaCrosse For A Quick Spin

Even though the redesigned 2017 LaCrosse is competitively priced at $32,990 in base spec, some people might find a few practical things wrong with it.

This short review by Consumer Reportssuggests that the LaCrosse is sort of a mixed bag, with good styling, solid comfort and plenty of power coming from the V6.

However, according to Michelle Naranjo, the 2017 LaCrosse can prove a bit difficult for some people to get in and out of the car, while it also doesn't do all that well when it comes to potholes and absorbing the eventual bump on the road.

In terms of performance, the 3.6-liter V6 power unit mentioned earlier produces 305 HP and 268 lb-ft (363 Nm), all going to either the front or optionally, all four wheels, with the help of an 8-speed automatic gearbox that may or may not prove a bit confusing to some drivers - the review also explains why that is.

Even in base spec, the 2017 LaCrosse comes well equipped with an 8" touchscreen display, Apple CarPlay & Android Auto compatibility, GM's 4G LTE Wi-Fi and HID headlights.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/09/cr-...for-quick.html
Old 09-24-16, 04:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Here's a good video describing its road manners.

Old 09-24-16, 09:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

We saw the new LaCrosse today at the GM dealer. Overall, it's a nice looking car. Looks premium or near luxury but I don't think it really is a luxury car. I would say near luxury.

The LaCrosse competes most with the Toyota Avalon. I still think the Lexus ES is a cut above, at least in styling. The biggest issue we found was that the exterior does not cause a reaction or excite any emotion.

Through the window, it has a lot of black GM style buttons. And the steering wheel looked like it came off a low end Chevy.

Please not that we did not sit inside.

Overall, from the looks of it, GM has a good product that will appeal to the GM faithful. Nothing wrong with that. GM also has a lot of modems that hit a lot of different price points. So good for them on this one.

mmarshall will love these.

Old 09-25-16, 03:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

mmarshall will love these.
Well, they are nice pictures. Thanks.

Looks like, as with the new Continental, you got the new Lacrosse there in Canada before we did. My local dealer has a few listed now, but it's unclear whether they are still on order or have arrived. If so, I'll check one out tomorrow.

The overall looks, at least from pictures, are pretty nice...but there are also several things that turn me off. First, the 20" wheels (I'd definitely have to go for the smaller 18" ones...twenty-inchers usually ride too firm). Second, the same electronic joy-stick shifter that I wasn't impressed with on the Cadillac XT5. Third, the engine stop/start feature that, according to Buick, cannot be turned off (also taken from the XT5). I agree with you on the steering wheel...they should have used a nice three-spoke instead of the awkward-looking four-spoke. But it is not a parts-bin Chevy wheel like you suggest....I don't know of any American-market Chevy product that uses it.

I like the fact that they have (finally) gone back to the traditional red/white/blue Buick logo (my Verano doesn't have it) instead of the chrome-outlines. American-market Buicks lacked it for a number of years. They also kept the small fender-porthole trim, a nice longstanding Buick tradition (the Cascada convertible, I noticed, got rid of the portholes). And the interior looks considerably more Buick-like than on its rather odd-looking predecessor (let's hope the interior materials are better than on its predecessor, too, which was a weak point).

Buick marketers are still on my **** -list for dumping the American-market Verano...we'll see if they redeem themselves with this car LOL.
Old 09-25-16, 06:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Through the window, it has a lot of black GM style buttons.

Interesting comment. I distinctly remember a conversation with you about the new Cadillacs where you said buttons didn't matter, and GM's buttons were just like everybody else's...
Old 09-25-16, 06:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

^ I don't recall saying that the Cadillac buttons resembled GM parts bin items. I think you did and I think I said that it didn't matter if some people think they did.

But feel free to take a look through my past posts and post what I said. I really do not remember.
Old 09-25-16, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

^ I don't recall saying that the Cadillac buttons resembled GM parts bin items. I think you did and I think I said that it didn't matter if some people think they did.

But feel free to take a look through my past posts and post what I said. I really do not remember.
Several people commented on it, and you said that the buttons and what they're made of and look like doesn't matter. Why should it matter here?
Old 09-25-16, 02:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I like the fact that they have (finally) gone back to the traditional red/white/blue Buick logo (my Verano doesn't have it) instead of the chrome-outlines.
I surprised Buick did not go back to the color on the logo sooner than later.
Old 09-25-16, 02:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I surprised Buick did not go back to the color on the logo sooner than later.
Form what I understand, they never got rid of the traditional logo in China, but that was perhaps (?) because of the brand's cult-like status there.
Old 09-26-16, 05:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Checked out a couple of new LaCrosses today myself in the showroom and sitting on the lot (they are finally arriving locally). I didn't bother with a test-drive today (I'll get to it later) because the dealership was in a miserable location for one, with congestion and shopping-malls on all sides of it.

In most areas, a massive improvement over the old one, which, in comparison, is like a tin can. Much better and more solid sheet metal on the new one, despite the several-hundred-pound weight-loss. Doors and door-handles are now far more solid-feeling. Trunk has the same "clink" sound while closing that the Verano's does, but the sheet metal feels more solid. Dash much more conventionally-styled now then the odd space-ship looks of the previous generation. Huge improvement in the quality of the interior hardware (locks, latches, switches, etc.....), though a couple of weak-feeling and cheap-looking controls are on, and to the left of, the steering wheel. Best interior fit/finish and interior trim-quality materials I've seen on a Buick since the well-done models of the late 1960s, though some black plastic trim on the upper console and lower-dash could be improved. Good headroom and legroom, even with the sunroof housing. Decently-padded leather seats (better than the ones in the new Envision), but, unlike the BIG seats in the Verano, a little narrow and flat for big rumps like mine (the Verano's seats are really remarkable for large persons...that one of the reasons I bought one). The new LaCrosse seats felt just about the same as the front seats I recently tried out in the new Lincoln MKZ refreshment. I agree with Jill, though, that I don't care for the four-spoke steering wheel, and the new electronic joy-stick shifter is awkward compared to the simple, fore/aft shifter still found in other Buicks. I won't know for sure until the test-drive (coming up soon), but I don't think I'll care for the engine's start/stop system (which can't be shut off)......haven't found one yet that I like.

(Oh.....and the new video Intellink system in the middle of the dash seems a more difficult to set up and use than the system in other Buicks, including my Verano).

But......except for the few (IMO) goof-ups in the new design (shifter, video-system, steering-wheel), a tremendously improved car from the last version. This is what the 2010 LaCrosse should have been, and wasn't....at least with the 18" wheels (I suspect the 20s will ride too firm)
Old 09-26-16, 05:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Got to finally sit in the new LaCrosse. Below are my thoughts:

Overall, good effort by General Motors and the Buick division, but it's not quite up to a Lexus ES and it's more in line of a Toyota Avalon.

The good:
Good solid materials inside
The iinfotainment system is eady to use
Really nice door panels and materials
Decent leather (but not as smooth as Lexus, more in line of an Avalon)
Power adjustable steering wheel
Awesome Cadillac Escalade or some other Cadillac gauges
Roomier than I expected.
Decent layout

The bad:
WTF Buick, you make a big deal of telling us that you logo has gone back to color, but you don't have color on the steering wheel logo
$46,000 and there is no locking glove compartment
Interior styling is a little on the bland side
Absence of a solid thud when closing doors
When closing the drivers door, I thought the outside noise would of been more muted
No door courtesy llights
Steering is bland, No wood, needs something
No sunroof at $46,000
Most paint choices are extra cost

So, overall the new Buick Lacrosse is nice, I am not convinced that it should be considered a luxury car. It's a premium interior that is closer to an Avalon than it is to a Lexus ES.

It's a very good effort.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-26-16 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Buick LaCrosse