Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Buick LaCrosse

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 03:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I don't see how slowing the wipers down at the end of their movement would make them quieter. As far as I've ever heard, the noises come from like what Mike said.... dry windshield or old blades. In the overall picture of windshield wiper operation, faster speed is wanted to get more water off the glass as soon as possible. Slowing them down is a step backward.
If it's too fast, though, we get right back to the problem at Square One...drying off the glass too quick for the amount of water on it, and then having the noise and wear issues on the blades.
Old 10-04-16, 04:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

My cousins new Civic has wipers that slow down as they reach the bottom of the windshield. Definitely catches your attention. More quiet? Don't know about that.
Old 10-04-16, 09:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My cousins new Civic has wipers that slow down as they reach the bottom of the windshield. Definitely catches your attention. More quiet? Don't know about that.
<br /><br /><br />

Is that just when they are being turned off or all the time when on?

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 10-04-16 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 09:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
<br /><br /><br />

Is that just when they are being turned off or all the time when on?
no, every swipe.
Old 10-04-16, 09:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wiper noise in most vehicles is usually not a problem as long as the wiper blades are kept changed at least once a year, and/or if the wipers themselves are used properly...which means NOT wiping them on dry glass (or glass that is not wet enough for their use, such as a too-rapid intermittent or continuous action in very light rain). Unfortunately, many drivers neglect both.
How often do you change the blades in your Verano? I usually get at least 2-3 years with the original wiper rubber insert.
Old 10-04-16, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How often do you change the blades in your Verano? I usually get at least 2-3 years with the original wiper rubber insert.
Once a year. Conditions here in the D.C. area much different than in Toronto, where you live. It is further south, the sun is more intense, there is far more traffic, and more ozone and pollution in the air......all of which affects the life of rubber blades.
Old 10-05-16, 06:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
​​​​​​​I can easily get 2-3 years on wiper blades andd we have traffic, pollution, ozone and sun.
Old 10-05-16, 06:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Once a year. Conditions here in the D.C. area much different than in Toronto, where you live. It is further south, the sun is more intense, there is far more traffic, and more ozone and pollution in the air......all of which affects the life of rubber blades.
do you use gm blades or after market?
Old 10-05-16, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do you use gm blades or after market?
The stock blades work fine, as long as you change them about once a year or so.

One thing I wish more manufacturers did, like on Subaru's Winter Package, is heat the lower part of the windshield electrically, on a grid, to thaw out frozen blades. That is a very handy device (I had it on my former Outback)
Old 10-05-16, 07:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

One thing I wish more manufacturers did, like on Subaru's Winter Package, is heat the lower part of the windshield electrically, on a grid, to thaw out frozen blades. That is a very handy device (I had it on my former Outback)
My Highlander has this, but in our climate here I doubt I'll ever use it.
Old 10-05-16, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My recent Lexus cars have had this too.
Old 10-08-16, 02:05 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If its going to snow/ice, just swing your wiper arms out the night before. I've found wiper blades last about 12-18 months around where I live. Of course I can't stand wipers that streak, so maybe I replace them before some people who wait for the wiper blade to fall apart before replacing.
Old 10-08-16, 06:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
My Highlander has this, but in our climate here I doubt I'll ever use it.
Even without snow or ice, though, it might help get that notorious Seattle fog and moisture off the window a little quicker.
Old 10-09-16, 08:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Now that I'm recovering from the initial (pleasant) shock, I'll add that this is EXACTLY the car that Buick has been lacking for several years.....(and needed)......a conservatively-styled, wood-trimmed, hush-hush-quiet luxo-cruiser with traditional Buick trim features. The folks that wanted and liked this type of car were essentially pushed out of the market when the Lucerne, DTS, and Town Car were discontinued several years ago. This new LaCrosse doesn't look quite as big in physical size as those former vehicles (nor does it have a V8)....but the fit/finish, even in these preliminary images, looks outstanding, and the interior is finally back to what Buick should have been doing all along. My only real concern is the reliability of the dual-clutch transmission....those twin-clutch transmissions have tended to be troublesome in some other American-badged vehicles.

Buick dealerships had better order and keep plenty of these in stock. They are going to go out the door like Super Bowl pizzas LOL.
Something that rarely happens in CAR CHAT..............

I'm speechless.
Do you still feel the same way? Or have to calmed down a little since you have seen, sat, and drove in the new car.
Old 10-09-16, 09:06 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm checking in on CB (Club Buick to report on an article in this morning's paper. Buick will be launching a new "Avenir" sub-brand. "Buick will launch a sub-brand, Avenir, to highlight higher trim levels of each model, much as GMC has done with Denali". The article goes on to say it will include interior and exterior design elements to set the models apart from other (lower trim levels). It will be interesting to see what they do with the Lacrosse.

Quick Reply: 2017 Buick LaCrosse