Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 bmw m2

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 03:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Really?
M3 is softly styled now LOL
Weight is not everything?
M3/4 use more Carbon Fiber and Aluminum parts than all of their direct competitors hence why they weigh much less and are more agile on the track.
Please study up before you post!
Isn't the ATS-V very similar in weight and with more power?
Old 02-21-16, 04:41 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Isn't the ATS-V very similar in weight and with more power?
ATS-V beats M3 in almost every performance metrics from every reviews I see. The downsides of owning ATS-V are interior and infotainment system. Yes, it's about 150lb heavier.
Old 02-21-16, 05:23 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by cino
ATS-V beats M3 in almost every performance metrics from every reviews I see. The downsides of owning ATS-V are interior and infotainment system. Yes, it's about 150lb heavier.
I recently sat in a ATS-V at the SJ Auto Show, and didn't think the interior was all that bad. Had about the same amount of leather, plastic, cf, aluminum, and alcantara as other performance cars of this caliber. The CUE system I agree though needs a thorough update.
Old 02-21-16, 05:25 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Really?
M3 is softly styled now LOL
Weight is not everything?
M3/4 use more Carbon Fiber and Aluminum parts than all of their direct competitors hence why they weigh much less and are more agile on the track.
Please study up before you post!
I don't double M4's performance, and I even stated myself that it uses aluminum and exotic materials to keep the weight down. But size wise it is ridiculously bloated, and quite frankly looks soft. It is also the first time when M3/4 got beat by its competitors in many reviews.

It is no secret that M2, much like its M1 predecessor, is not a full blown M car like the M3/M4, but I'm just not feeling the M4 at all, and absolutely love the M2. Also, regarding weight there are different reports, for instance the site below claims 400lb difference?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/13/bm...cs-comparison/
Old 02-21-16, 05:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I recently sat in a ATS-V at the SJ Auto Show, and didn't think the interior was all that bad. Had about the same amount of leather, plastic, cf, aluminum, and alcantara as other performance cars of this caliber. The CUE system I agree though needs a thorough update.
No amount of leather, cf, aluminum or alcantara can make up for lake of taste. The interior design of the Caddy looks ugly, it's steering wheel with that huge ugly beak looks like it came out of a pick up truck, and the horrendous CUE system is as useless as an $40 android tablet.

Very capable car indeed, but completely ruined by tasteless design.
Old 02-21-16, 05:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I don't double M4's performance, and I even stated myself that it uses aluminum and exotic materials to keep the weight down. But size wise it is ridiculously bloated, and quite frankly looks soft. It is also the first time when M3/4 got beat by its competitors in many reviews.

It is no secret that M2, much like its M1 predecessor, is not a full blown M car like the M3/M4, but I'm just not feeling the M4 at all, and absolutely love the M2. Also, regarding weight there are different reports, for instance the site below claims 400lb difference?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/13/bm...cs-comparison/
That site is wrong.
Here is all the info on M2:

Official Specs = http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...4&d=1444784528
All the Info = http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1183416

I'm not a fan of M4 styling either - its ruined bec BMW made the GranCoupe version of the 4 series without modifying the chassis length, therefore the 4series coupe is longer than it should be.
The M3 is damn perfect IMO and thats why I just got one after long wait. They are made in much less #s compared to M4.

M2 is OK but to me the rear is ugly and I cant stand interior design of it.
It should be fun though as the M235i I drove was a blast. I need 4 door car anyway.....

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-21-16 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-21-16, 06:05 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Och
No amount of leather, cf, aluminum or alcantara can make up for lake of taste. The interior design of the Caddy looks ugly, it's steering wheel with that huge ugly beak looks like it came out of a pick up truck, and the horrendous CUE system is as useless as an $40 android tablet.

Very capable car indeed, but completely ruined by tasteless design.
I think we're thinking of two different things here. I'm talking about material quality. Design is subjective so I won't voice my opinion about that.

Of course at this level, it's still more about driving than outright opulence. M2 should be right at home.
Old 02-21-16, 10:45 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder what the lease will be after one year of release, I want a manual one to have fun.
Old 02-22-16, 12:11 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Someone over at Caddy hinted overhauled infotainment system is coming.
Old 02-22-16, 12:19 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

That site is wrong.
Here is all the info on M2:

Official Specs = http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...4&d=1444784528
All the Info = http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1183416

I'm not a fan of M4 styling either - its ruined bec BMW made the GranCoupe version of the 4 series without modifying the chassis length, therefore the 4series coupe is longer than it should be.
The M3 is damn perfect IMO and thats why I just got one after long wait. They are made in much less #s compared to M4.

M2 is OK but to me the rear is ugly and I cant stand interior design of it.
It should be fun though as the M235i I drove was a blast. I need 4 door car anyway.....
Beside the prestigious badge, Camaro 1LE SS will shat all over M2. 2 Series crappy interior shows even with cf panel. Camaro may not be as nice as M2 inside, but it's not far off like old gen. Save 15K, get a fully loaded Camaro 1LE with Recaro, 6 piston brake, forged wheels, MRC and active exhaust standard. And a big plus is that you can fit 2 "REAL" people back there.
Edit: Neither will fit real people.

Last edited by cino; 02-22-16 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-22-16, 05:20 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Mustang has more backseat space and headroom than a Camaro. V6 1LE is going to be very potent with its pretty lightweight if youre on a course that doesnt need a lot of power
Old 02-22-16, 08:31 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Mustang has more backseat space and headroom than a Camaro. V6 1LE is going to be very potent with its pretty lightweight if youre on a course that doesnt need a lot of power
Right. SS1LE is more of a bragging right, but MRC feature is really great if the car is rarely on the track.
Old 02-22-16, 11:54 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Originally Posted by cino
Someone over at Caddy hinted overhauled infotainment system is coming.
Andriod and apple car play is going into Cadi as this year.
Old 02-22-16, 12:18 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Andriod and apple car play is going into Cadi as this year.
CUE isn't the worst part of the interior. The capacitive touch centerstack is just the worse thing ever. Give me *****, I'll consider a Caddy.
Old 03-06-16, 08:11 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Initial test drives from MT, C&D, and etc. do suggest the M2 is the real driver's car compared to the M4. Wish BMW gave some of that carbon fiber magic to the M2 to save weight too.

Quick Reply: 2016 bmw m2