Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

DOT and IIHS announce historic commitment from 10 automakers

Old 09-11-15, 11:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default DOT and IIHS announce historic commitment from 10 automakers

DOT and IIHS announce historic commitment from 10 automakers to include automatic emergency braking on all new vehicles

RUCKERSVILLE, Va. – Ten major vehicle manufacturers have committed to making automatic emergency braking (AEB) a standard feature on all new vehicles built, the U.S. Department of Transportation, its National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) announced today.

“We are entering a new era of vehicle safety, focused on preventing crashes from ever occurring, rather than just protecting occupants when crashes happen,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. "But if technologies such as automatic emergency braking are only available as options or on the most expensive models, too few Americans will see the benefits of this new era. These 10 companies are committing to making AEB available to all new-car buyers.”

The announcement, made at the dedication of IIHS’s newly expanded Vehicle Research Center, represents a major step toward making crash-prevention technologies more widely available to consumers. The 10 companies – Audi, BMW, Ford, General Motors, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Tesla, Toyota, Volkswagen and Volvo – will work with IIHS and NHTSA in the coming months on the details of implementing their historic commitment, including the timeline for making AEB a standard feature. The Department and IIHS encourage all other light-vehicle and trucking manufacturers to bring automated vehicle technology to all vehicles on U.S. roadways as soon as possible.

Automatic emergency braking includes a range of systems designed to address the large number of crashes, especially rear-end crashes, in which drivers do not apply the brakes or fail to apply sufficient braking power to avoid or mitigate a crash. AEB systems use on-vehicle sensors such as radar, cameras or lasers to detect an imminent crash, warn the driver and, if the driver does not take sufficient action, engage the brakes.

“The evidence is mounting that AEB is making a difference,” said IIHS President Adrian Lund. “Most crashes involve driver error. This technology can compensate for the mistakes every driver makes because the systems are always on alert, monitoring the road ahead and never getting tired or distracted.”

AEB technology is already showing benefits in the real world. Several studies, including a recent report from IIHS, show that AEB technology can reduce insurance injury claims by as much as 35 percent. The 10 manufacturers committing to across-the-board AEB represented 57 percent of U.S. light-duty vehicle sales in 2014.

The expanded IIHS facility opened today, made possible by special funding provided by IIHS’s insurance company sponsors, provides IIHS with the capabilities needed to test evolving crash-avoidance technology.

In January, NHTSA announced its proposal to add automatic emergency braking to the list of recommended advanced safety features included in its New Car Assessment Program. In May, Secretary Foxx announced a series of steps DOT and NHTSA will take to accelerate the development of advanced safety technologies such as vehicle-to-vehicle communications and autonomous driving.

“Secretary Foxx’s direction to NHTSA is clear: We must work to expedite the implementation of advanced technologies to save lives at every opportunity,” said NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind. “These 10 manufacturers have committed to an important principle: AEB is a life-saving technology that should be available to every vehicle owner. In the months ahead, NHTSA will work closely with IIHS and the auto industry to carry out that commitment, and we encourage every other manufacturer to join this effort.”

The DOT and IIHS have long-standing commitments to promoting life-saving technology innovations. Moving forward, IIHS and NHTSA will set specific performance criteria for manufacturers to meet their commitment, and will determine how soon consumers can expect to see AEB technology as standard equipment. In order for a vehicle to earn IIHS’s highest safety award, ‘Top Safety Pick’, IIHS requires the vehicle to have an automatic braking system.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...n-aeb-09112015
Old 09-11-15, 01:08 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to hear.

Such safety standards have more benefit than its cost to implement it.

I've been rear ended four times, in my car and on a motorcycle. This would surely help significantly and save lives and prevent injuries
Old 09-11-15, 01:14 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Texters rejoice!
Old 09-11-15, 01:29 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Notable omissions: Fiat-Chrysler, Honda
Old 09-11-15, 01:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Subaru as well. They have a good system with EyeSight
Old 09-11-15, 01:53 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Nissan: and I'm not even notable anymore...
Old 09-13-15, 02:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Subaru as well. They have a good system with EyeSight
I am sure Subaru will be in, might have been too small to be included from the start.

As to this - great initiative. Gotta say that US has came back from the rear to take over 1st place as most progressive market with good legislation... Europe had started well long time ago, but now automakers are able to lobby against anything that can increase the cost of cars, especially German ones... so now we have very outdated MPG standards and lesser eco and safety standars than USA.
Old 09-13-15, 03:34 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it doesn't add too much weight and can be disabled on the track, I'm cool with it I guess...
Old 09-13-15, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This a pretty good announcement. I'm glad they are working together.
Old 09-13-15, 06:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

good stuff - and those not 'in' already will have no choice.
Old 09-13-15, 07:19 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome the electronic co-pilot!
Redundant situational awareness systems are good!
I like it.
Old 09-13-15, 07:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Wonder why the Koreans (Hyundai, Kia) aren't in. Perhaps they know something that other automakers don't. Might also be the case with Subie, F-C, and Honda....though, as Hoovey correctly points out, Subaru already has a system of their own.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-13-15, 09:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

Good news for sure. One of those things we'll look back on and say "why didn't we have this a long time ago?"
However, the whole thing is quite sad when you analyze it. We've become so involved with texting and in-car distractions, that it's come down to having a computer do what we should have been doing all along. Pathetic. But I'll take it.
Old 09-14-15, 11:32 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I WANT to hit that idiot!

Seriously, this is great news. I hope it also works in reverse as well. Low speed backing up in parking lots, driveways tight squeezes. I would have saved a scrapped bumper or two.
Old 09-14-15, 12:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wonder why the Koreans (Hyundai, Kia) aren't in. Perhaps they know something that other automakers don't. Might also be the case with Subie, F-C, and Honda....though, as Hoovey correctly points out, Subaru already has a system of their own.
Koreans and FCA dont have a good system right now. Subbie does though and I am sure they will be in.