Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gas prices...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 07:11 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
1. You realize that people aren't flocking to dealers to trade in their cars. Otherwise GM would be much closer to paying off their debt. If anything, people are keeping cars longer given the economy. Nevertheless, the fact remains that higher gas prices have resulted in the more efficient options available today when one does choose to replace their car.

2. I never said that the government wouldn't get their tax money elsewhere. But at the present time, the cost of goods go up because of the price of gas. That's more that the government can make revenue off of...unless you live in Delaware.

3. We all suffer with inefficient cars. Especially with OPEC at the wheel. Cost is based on demand. With oil, as we see demand go higher we see prices go higher. Because they can charge more. Especially with other countries, like China, increasing their demand. More can be charged for a barrel of oil.
1. And in the meantime everyone else has to suffer with higher prices. Higher prices shouldn't be the factor pushing us to develop alternative sources of energy, but its typical American nature to be reactive in ANYTHING we do.

2. And that's a sad truth . But what makes Delaware different? I'm not familiar with them?

3. I thought modern day cost was based on speculation (hence that article mmarshall posted earlier), which alone can possibly drive the cost by 60%. But it has me question if we get most of our oil from this side of the pond, why are our prices fluctuating so much based on whats going on on the other side of the pond?
Old 04-04-11, 07:17 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
But it has me question if we get most of our oil from this side of the pond, why are our prices fluctuating so much based on whats going on on the other side of the pond?
It's crappy. Which is why I wholeheartedly believe in more efficient vehicles so that we can rely on domestic sources. I doubt that we will ever become efficient enough. More likely another source of energy will be developed first.

Delaware has tax free shopping.
Old 04-04-11, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
$4.059 to $4.099 for Chevron regular here today in Silicon Valley, with uplift on premium in range of $0.18 to $0.20.
We're close, but not quite, on name-brand Premium......$4.14 in my neighborhood for Shell the last couple of days. Either you guys are getting a little break, or we're getting screwed (perhaps both)......it's not often that our local gas prices are in the same range as those of CA.
Old 04-04-11, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jewcano
3. I thought modern day cost was based on speculation (hence that article mmarshall posted earlier), which alone can possibly drive the cost by 60%. But it has me question if we get most of our oil from this side of the pond, why are our prices fluctuating so much based on whats going on on the other side of the pond?
"Most" is a relative term. We still don't get enough of what we need from this side of the pond (the Gulf BP oil-spill last year, and all that wasted oil that leaked out) didn't help either. We're not as dependent on OPEC and Middle-East oil as we were decades ago, but they still provide more than is healthy for us.
Old 04-04-11, 09:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
to drive more fuel efficient vehicles.

Maybe this is the catalyst they have been waiting for. Maybe the government wants people to dump their cars and buy new fuel efficient cars from GM and Chrysler.
You mean maybe Cash-For-Clunkers, Round 2? Unlike two years ago, I don't think that would happen today. A program that commits that many Federal dollars to subsidizing new-car sales would probably not get through today's Republican and Tea-Party-controlled House.
Old 04-04-11, 09:30 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It would be great if the Obama administration did another Cash For Clunkers program. It definitely spurred the auto industry and provided some great car options for those who would not have otherwise been able to purchase them at the time without the rebate. But, I'm with mmarshall- I doubt it will happen again.
Old 04-04-11, 09:48 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
It would be great if the Obama administration did another Cash For Clunkers program. It definitely spurred the auto industry and provided some great car options for those who would not have otherwise been able to purchase them at the time without the rebate. But, I'm with mmarshall- I doubt it will happen again.
Off topic, but wasn't it an incredibly wasteful program as well? Didn't they estimate it cost them over 10K per car to dispose of? I swear I can remember reading each car cost a good $25k, but I'm not sure on those figures.
Old 04-05-11, 12:10 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

When gas prices get this high, I don't think the first thing people think is why doesn't my car get better mileage? The first complaint is why are oil companies making record profits during this "crisis."

So, since these recent high prices are being driven by speculation and not by a true shortage, does that mean the oil companies are going to refund our money for charging extra when there was really no shortage afterall? I'd like my payment in cash please.
It's pure robbery! They are going to post even higher record profits after having enough oil to go around. No one on top has the smarts or ***** to put a stop to this raping.
Old 04-05-11, 12:22 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Premium was $3.99/gallon in Moses Lake, WA today. Only $3.85 in Bonners Ferry, ID.
Old 04-05-11, 12:23 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We're close, but not quite, on name-brand Premium......$4.14 in my neighborhood for Shell the last couple of days. Either you guys are getting a little break, or we're getting screwed (perhaps both)......it's not often that our local gas prices are in the same range as those of CA.
Maybe it's close to Silicon Valley, but in the LA area (i live 15 miles away from LA), it's much higher.

Your premium is $4.14, the premium at a 76 gas station in Pasadena is $4.45.

The 76 gast station in Beverly Hills, has $4.48 for Regular, $4.88 for Midgrade, and I assume $5.28 for Premium (don't see numbers on it online).

I find it disturbing how the entire CA state is in RED, while everything else is in orange/yellow/green:

http://www.losangelesgasprices.com/Price_By_County.aspx
Old 04-05-11, 01:15 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Paid 4.27 for premium today at the Hickey Blvd. (Daly City) Chevron.
Old 04-05-11, 08:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I paid $3.89 for premium in my SC300. It went up by twenty cents in just two days. I put a gallon in the car and took it back home. I'm not driving it around with these insane prices.
Old 04-05-11, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
When gas prices get this high, I don't think the first thing people think is why doesn't my car get better mileage?
Clean the unnecessary weight out the trunk, make sure tire PSis are correct, consolidate trips to keep the engine warm, try to keep steady speeds, turn off the A/C compressor if it is not needed, and of course, don't press the gas pedal down as hard. THEN, if it doesn't get better mileage, maybe people can complain.

The first complaint is why are oil companies making record profits during this "crisis."

So, since these recent high prices are being driven by speculation and not by a true shortage, does that mean the oil companies are going to refund our money for charging extra when there was really no shortage afterall? I'd like my payment in cash please.
It's pure robbery! They are going to post even higher record profits after having enough oil to go around. No one on top has the smarts or ***** to put a stop to this raping.
Oil companies don't necessarily make big profits when the price goes up. When that happens, they have to pay more, out of their pockets, for the crude they buy and refine, too...it's not a free lunch for them. Oftentimes, if the prices rise significantly, they don't sell as much gas either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-05-11 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-05-11, 09:06 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
When gas prices get this high, I don't think the first thing people think is why doesn't my car get better mileage? The first complaint is why are oil companies making record profits during this "crisis."
Best one I ever heard. A had a friend who bought an Expedition in '07 based on the logic that gas prices would come down because of all the people purchasing Prii. Then in 2008 gas was over $4.00. D'oh!
Old 04-05-11, 09:25 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Best one I ever heard. A had a friend who bought an Expedition in '07 based on the logic that gas prices would come down because of all the people purchasing Prii. Then in 2008 gas was over $4.00. D'oh!
It was also 1.50 a gallon in 2008

Quick Reply: Gas prices...