Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one do you think looks better?
Honda Pilot
36.36%
Toyota Highlander
54.55%
Nissan Pathfinder
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

2016 Honda Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 07:12 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dig the new look!
Old 02-12-15, 07:23 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice evolution, and the interior is such a (desperately needed) huge leap forward.

I'm not sure why Honda has been so chrome-happy lately, but the extra chrome eye brows on this and the CR-V are rather ridiculous looking. Cut them off and keep it clean.

To Paul's point, it looks like a CR-V on steroids.
Old 02-12-15, 07:29 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like a raised odyssey with less space and no sliding doors
Old 02-12-15, 07:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Lobster claw.. yuck.
Old 02-12-15, 07:51 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like they took the front end of my CR-V and connected to a Audi Q7 or Mercedes-Benz GL. The interior is looks much improved from the current generation. They took the shifter and made it the same as the Acura TLX and RL. Overall not too shabby, looks quite bigger like a Mazda CX-9 or Nissan Pathfinder.
Old 02-12-15, 07:55 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm for sure it will sell. But daaaang it's looks are not the best. A stretched CRV and a bloated MDX in one. The interior is a big improvement.

I can't help but feel it just looks like really boring homely upper aged parents or grandparents will be driving this. Personally not my taste.
Old 02-12-15, 08:14 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, a blend of crv, odyssey, and mdx. No more dual screens?
Old 02-12-15, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
looks like a crv on steroids.
More so in the front than in the back. The CR-V still has those Volvo-style high-mounted taillights...the new Pilot doesn't follow suit. But, up front, yes, you're right. Honda does seem to be going to a more or less standardized grille-design.

On the shifter-issue, from what I remember, Honda had at least one or two vehicles at the D.C. show with this new console-button shift system (I don't remember if it included the new Pilot or not). I sampled it myself (not on the road, of course), and I found it rather awkward.......more so than the dash-mounted buttons on the Lincoln MKC/MKZ, because the Honda system depresses one or two of the buttons down in a partial-well where you pull up on them. Given a choice between the two, I'd take the stubby T-handle on your JGC over Honda's new design.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-12-15 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 08:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This looks like a CR-V that's carrying a reluctant load. I assume it'll sell well.
Old 02-12-15, 08:59 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Add in a dash of CR-V, a bit of Odyssey, some Hyundai Santa Fe and Chevy Traverse... bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees and voila!

The Pilot was seemingly overdue for this update, and I'm sure this will be quite successful for Honda. Can fit a large cooler behind the 3rd row, which you can't do in a Highlander. 300 pound weight savings similar to the achievements on MDX. Should add up to a nice overall package.
Old 02-12-15, 09:36 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Honda Pilot Gains New Features, Loses About 300 Pounds

The third-generation, 2016 Honda Pilot catches up with the key players in the three-row midsize crossover class, of which it is a founding member.

High on the list of improvements to the new Pilot, unveiled Thursday at the Chicago Auto Show, is to the style of Honda's mainstream SUV. The company emphasizes words such as "modern," "sleek" and "premium," making sure you forget all about the blocky old model. It clearly takes inspiration from the Honda CR-V and HR-V from the front, to good effect. Newly available LED projector lights and daytime running lights class things up, too.

The real story with the Pilot has always come from inside, though, where there are a number of changes to keep it competitive with what rivals such as the Toyota Highlander and Ford Explorer offer. Uplevel Pilot models will feature second-row captains chairs, which admittedly reduce total capacity from 8 people to 7. Those models will also benefit from niceties never before found in a Pilot, such as a panoramic moonroof (more of a two sunroof deal like you used to get on a Toyota Previa), ventilated front seats, heated second-row seats and a heated steering wheel. Keen observers might notice pieces taken from Acura products, like a TLX-ish push-button gear selector and the second-row seat-slide system from the MDX. There are five USB ports, along with a 115-volt outlet and an HDMI port, so clearly Honda knows its customers will have every electronic imaginable.

An 8-inch touchscreen powered by Android comes up front, a similar unit to what's already been shown in the newer Civic, CR-V and HR-V models (and earning scorn for lack of physical controls), while a 9-inch rear entertainment system will be available. Safety tech also improves with Honda's first "Road Departure Mitigation" system, along with the now-typical blind-spot monitoring and lane departure prevention features.

Honda put the third-generation Pilot on a diet, shedding roughly 300 pounds over the outgoing model, according to the company. The car will use the latest version of the company's ubiquitous 3.5-liter V6 engine, now badged Earth Dreams, with base cars getting a 6-speed automatic and more expensive models earning a 9-speed automatic – both replacing the previous 5-speed unit.

The Pilot will also boast from start-stop technology. The 2016 Pilot is expected to go on sale this summer and become a staple in suburban housing communities shortly after.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/02/201...-features.html

Old 02-12-15, 09:39 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Old 02-12-15, 09:41 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Old 02-12-15, 10:07 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

This just sent shudders up the spines of Toyota and it's Highlander designers. The 300lb weight loss is impressive combined with better fuel economy and a more solid body as opposed to Toyota resting on it's laurels. It's funny how Hondas were stuck with ancient 5spds but now leapfrogged Toyota and sprinkled their lineup with advanced 9speeds, while Toyota is introducing new ancient 6speeds in the NX. Yes yes the amount of gears aren't really important, but try selling that to the average non-techie Joe.
Old 02-12-15, 10:16 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

To each their own, but I think Highlander looks better.

Quick Reply: 2016 Honda Pilot