Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Study finds nine models with zero driver fatalities

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 02:23 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Study finds nine models with zero driver fatalities

As a clinician, I see it more morbidly with disfigured disabled people that continue to live with feeding tubes and respirators.

But, HEY! They're alive!!

Yahoo News Link

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the research arm of the nation's auto insurance companies, studied driver deaths between 2009 and 2012 for mass-market vehicles. (It did not examine passenger deaths due to unreliable data.) Overall, it found that new models with newer technology, especially stability control, had cut the overall death rate in vehicles by a third in the three years since it had last run the numbers.

DEATHPROOF CARS:
Audi A4 4WD
Honda Odyssey
Kia Sorento
Lexus RX 350 4WD
Mercedes-Benz GL-Class 4WD
Subaru Legacy 4WD
Toyota Highlander hybrid 4WD
Toyota Sequoia 4WD
Volvo XC90 4WD

But the IIHS also gave out a warning that the gap betwen the best and the worst cars at preventing fatal crashes had widened. The rates in the IIHS study are corrected for demographics (young drivers who typically buy smaller vehicles tend to crash more frequently) but even after that adjustment, small cars dominate the most lethal list:

CARS OF DEATH! (Top Ten)
Kia Rio
Nissan Versa sedan & hatchback
Hyundai Accent
Chevrolet Aveo
Hyundai Accent
Chevrolet Camaro coupe
Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew 4WD
Honda Civic
Ford Focus
Nissan Cube

Drive safe everybody.

Old 01-29-15, 02:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Interesting that the Smart-for-Two and Scion iQ aren't in the Top Ten. True, the iQ has had very low sales, and (perhaps) not enough of a data-base to have any meaningful data. But the Smart has been on the market for several years, and should have a substantial database by now. And, of course, it goes without saying that these two vehicles are so small that, even with up to date Federally-required safety gear on them, in real-world crashes with larger vehicles, these two vehicles (and their occupants) are likely to come out on the short end.

Old 01-29-15, 03:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Many interesting things we can extrapolate from this study. I would think more "beginner" drivers or teenagers would purchase the cheaper cars, either due to experience or finances, in the death trap list and are thus more likely to have fatalities.
Old 01-29-15, 04:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Interesting that the Smart-for-Two and Scion iQ aren't in the Top Ten.
Both models have "Good" ratings with the IIHS, but only three/four stars (out of five) on various tests with the NHTSA.

Although small, they are engineered to take an impact. More engineering to suppress the false idea that they are unsafe was done to make this point.
Old 01-29-15, 04:21 PM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm most surprised that the Camaro is one of the highest with 80 deaths/million, yet the Mustang is not on the highest deaths list at all, meaning likely less than 49 deaths/million. I would expect the buying demographics to be very similar, which makes me wonder if the Mustang really is that much safer than the Camaro, especially considering that the Camaro has better safety ratings. Maybe the drivers are more different than they seem, or maybe the numbers are so low as to not be significant either way. As I said, I'm just surprised.
Old 01-29-15, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Both models have "Good" ratings with the IIHS, but only three/four stars (out of five) on various tests with the NHTSA.

Although small, they are engineered to take an impact. More engineering to suppress the false idea that they are unsafe was done to make this point.
True, good engineering helps. I'll agree with that. Still, even with the best-designed crumple-zones and roll-cages, with cars this small, there is only so much space around the car's occupants that can be used for crash-protection. And, mathematically, one cannot overrule the basic laws of physics and kinetic energy.....all else equal, in an impact, a larger, heavier vehicle will be deflected less and deformed less.
Old 01-29-15, 05:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That Odyssey gif is great. Tesla's S should also be a pick. The engineer that did some special cell structure for the 2004-2006 Ford GT did the Model S
Old 01-29-15, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That Odyssey gif is great. Tesla's S should also be a pick. The engineer that did some special cell structure for the 2004-2006 Ford GT did the Model S
Although the Model S sells in significant numbers here in the D.C. area (where many incomes are high enough to afford it) it may not (?) have sufficient numbers nationally to have an accident-related database yet.
Old 01-30-15, 03:17 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

LOL at the Odyssey gif! It's like that little cartoon of the guy destroying his keyboard. Maybe Beavis or Butthead should be behind the wheel.

I've lived next to a college campus for 11 years and the two most raced cars I see at night after parties get out are late model Mustangs and Camaros. I would say the age of the drivers definitely has something to do with these stats.

These two cars also happen to be the louder of the bunch, keeping me up at night (and you all wonder why I'm such a grouch).
Old 01-30-15, 04:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Many interesting things we can extrapolate from this study. I would think more "beginner" drivers or teenagers would purchase the cheaper cars, either due to experience or finances, in the death trap list and are thus more likely to have fatalities.
yes many factors at play. i noticed that most of the 'less deaths' list were suv/cuvs and many on the 'more deaths' list were tiny econoboxes. for years it's been debated it tiny cars are less safe simply because there's less vehicle between the occupants and the outside to absorb impacts.

but the suv/cuv finding doesn't necessarily make them safe (although i think they are), it might also indicate people driving those types of vehicles just tend to drive less aggressively and more cautiously/defensively.

i'd say overall it's the DRIVERS of the vehicles that are the biggest factor.
Old 01-30-15, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i'd say overall it's the DRIVERS of the vehicles that are the biggest factor.
If that were the case, then V8 Mustangs would probably be on top. Though not all my any means, as a group, they have more classic idiots behind the wheel than just about any other single vehicle model I've seen. I've seen (or heard about) many teens and young adults injured or killed in them while drag-racing.
Old 01-30-15, 08:44 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand that Volvos are safe and I'm not saying they aren't but the only way the XC90 is on that list has to be because nobody owns one! They're old as dirt.

And did this remind anyone else of that Subaru commercial "they lived"?
Old 01-30-15, 09:45 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting to note, 7 of the top nine are 4WD.

Also, having been in the highway business for 30 years improvements in hardware safety(breakaway designs, crash cushions etc.) and adoption of the clear zone principle has saved many lives.
Old 01-30-15, 10:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha I could just stare watching at this gif all-day xD
Old 01-31-15, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sick21
I understand that Volvos are safe and I'm not saying they aren't but the only way the XC90 is on that list has to be because nobody owns one! They're old as dirt.

And did this remind anyone else of that Subaru commercial "they lived"?
Yes....that was an interesting commercial. And Subarus, in general, ARE known for good safety features for their class...especially in the strength of their unibody frames. But, as I see it, what that commercial didn't point out was that most Subarus, aside from maybe the Boy-Racer WRX and STI, Subarus also tend to be driven by a generally safety-oriented, somewhat conservative class of driver that doesn't take needless chances or risks on the road.

Quick Reply: Study finds nine models with zero driver fatalities