Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Cadillac ATS-V

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-14, 12:56 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Cadillac ATS-V

Details about the hotly anticipated 2016 Cadillac ATS-V are tumbling out, and they look to be everything we could ask for in a high-performance Caddy coupe.

According to Road & Track, the ATS-V will use a version of the twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6 from the CTS Vsport, but the wick will be turned up to 450 horsepower and 445 pound-feet of torque. In glorious news for driving enthusiasts everywhere, that potent mill will be available with either a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic.

According to R&T, the engine has a heap of high-performance tech to let it make the extra ponies, including titanium connecting rods, two water-to-air intercoolers, titanium turbines for the turbos and an additional radiator dedicated to cooling the gearbox and electronically locking differential. Keeping it all planted are a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, and a suspension with 50 percent more roll stiffness.

The exterior looks practically identical to an uncamouflaged tester that was recently spied. However, these leaked official Cadillac studio shots certainly lend a much meaner look, with a black mesh grille at the front and the heat extractor in the hood offset with some black trim. If the stock ATS-V look isn't enough for you, Cadillac will reportedly offer an optional package to add a different front, splitter, side skirts and rear spoiler to produce extra downforce at speed.

With 450 hp on tap and a weight of around 3,600 pounds, the ATS-V looks to have the 425-hp BMW M3/M4 siblings directly in its sights. However, the Caddy is a bit off the 469 hp or 503 hp offered by the upcoming Mercedes-AMG C63, but the numbers are close, and weight, gearing and traction will all be big factors in figuring out which is quickest around a track.

We can't wait to get a good look at this luxury rocket ship when it debuts at next week's LA Auto Show.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/11/2...-hp-pics-leak/
It looks like a worthy competitor of M4 that comes from American brand.
Old 11-11-14, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Not bad.

That grill looks like it's morphing into a spindle.
Old 11-11-14, 01:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at the specs on paper, this looks to be the most promising of the group with regard to performance.

With that said, I just don't really like how this car looks from any angle. The front end looks like a tacky body kit add-on and borderline ricey, IMO. Way overdone. The side profile looks very slab sided and a bit boring. The rear end is too many creases for my liking, and the exhaust seems placed 4-5 inches too close to the middle of the car on either side.

IMO, Cadillac has done a great job with some of the finishes inside their cars, but now it's time to up the ante with some of the other details like the font and lighting used for gauges, and the steering wheel, which looks like the same one that is shared with countless other GM products.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 11-11-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-11-14, 01:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm a little bit underwhelmed but I still really like this. We all knew the powertrain would be a VSport tuned V

Man this upcoming shootout of the C63, M4, ATS-V, RC F and RS5 should be one for the books
Old 11-11-14, 02:50 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Looking at the specs on paper, this looks to be the most promising of the group with regard to performance.

With that said, I just don't really like how this car looks from any angle. The front end looks like a tacky body kit add-on and borderline ricey, IMO. Way overdone. The side profile looks very slab sided and a bit boring. The rear end is too many creases for my liking, and the exhaust seems placed 4-5 inches too close to the middle of the car on either side.

IMO, Cadillac has done a great job with some of the finishes inside their cars, but now it's time to up the ante with some of the other details like the font and lighting used for gauges, and the steering wheel, which looks like the same one that is shared with countless other GM products.
This post has perfectly captured my thoughts. I respect your taste and judgment sir.
Old 11-11-14, 03:48 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Yup, there is much of tackiness can be lost. I mean WTF with chrome on top of front grill?
Old 11-11-14, 04:17 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the ATS-V definitely needs, at least as an option, the full digital upgraded gauge cluster. I think they've actually done a great job with getting a unique steering wheel from the rest of GM. Most notably they were able to put this new corporate Cadillac one into the Escalade, which before shared steering wheel with the Tahoe/Suburban/Pickup Trucks.

But yes, Cadillac has gotten to maybe 1st and Goal, now they need to punch a car into the end zone with some of the more detailed refinements that you mention.
Old 11-11-14, 05:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Yup, there is much of tackiness can be lost. I mean WTF with chrome on top of front grill?
Lol, that image is probably just autoblog's rendering / guess...

Methinks you guys protest too much.
Old 11-11-14, 05:55 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Cool. Love the 6 speed option.
Old 11-12-14, 12:56 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

With this new front end, Cadillac is SLOWLY getting out of their dated and harsh eggcrate, blocky front ends that have brought down their desing for the last ten years. If only they's soften up the front and let go of the 80's squares and rectangles, the design and style would mesh far better with modern-day competitors such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and the rest. While not super attractive here, what we see is the last gen Mercedes C-Class front intakes. They are finally getting the message to let go of the past with the dated, blocky styling and join the current decade like every one else.
Old 11-12-14, 06:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Lol, that image is probably just autoblog's rendering / guess...
Nope, these are the "unofficially official" leaked pics, so this is the real deal.
Old 11-12-14, 08:23 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Nope, these are the "unofficially official" leaked pics, so this is the real deal.
It is the real deal. Picture made it to official LA Auto Show website.
Old 11-12-14, 09:49 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
With this new front end, Cadillac is SLOWLY getting out of their dated and harsh eggcrate, blocky front ends that have brought down their desing for the last ten years. If only they's soften up the front and let go of the 80's squares and rectangles, the design and style would mesh far better with modern-day competitors such as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and the rest. While not super attractive here, what we see is the last gen Mercedes C-Class front intakes. They are finally getting the message to let go of the past with the dated, blocky styling and join the current decade like every one else.
Lol, that's their Art & Science design language and it isn't going away anytime soon. I for one love it and i think it works well, its original and it isn't trying to imitate anyone.
Old 11-14-14, 01:09 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love this design. The V cars have always been a bit brash and cartoony. The regular ATS is pretty classy and not overdone and this is a pretty good evolution of the V. The original CTS-V was pretty crazy looking. Can't wait to see the other V cars.
Old 11-14-14, 08:03 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

front looks good, but sides and rear get a bit bland

Quick Reply: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V