Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2015 Kia K900

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-14, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2015 Kia K900

A Review of the all-new 2015 Kia K900.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/k90...ce?story=hello

IN A NUTSHELL: Kia joins the Big Boys in the large V8 rear-drive class.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Hyundai Equus, Lexus LS460, BMW 740i/750i, Mercedes S550, Infiniti RWD Q70 5.6L/Q70L. The S550, however, costs considerably more.

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

;

OVERVIEW:

Kia, South Korea's oldest auto manufacturer, was originally founded in 1944, during World War II and the Japanese occupation, as a maker of steel tubing and bicycle parts, using hand labor. From those humble beginnings, the company advanced to the production of complete bicycles, motorcycles, trucks and passenger cars. For years, many of the vehicles they produced were actually under contract for other companies, such as Ford and Mazda (Ford actually owned part of Kia at the time). The company first moved into the American market under its own brand-name in 1992, selling a line of basically entry-level, inexpensive vehicles that were often poorly-built, and declared bankruptcy in 1997. In 1998, rival Hyundai, a much larger corporation also headquartered in South Korea, bought a controlling interest in Kia (outbidding Ford in the process), and Kia has remained a Hyundai division ever since.

And, of course, like with Hyundai products themselves, the quality and engineering of Kia's line-up has increased enormously since then, though, IMO, the greatest improvement was in the mid-2000s. The interiors on their lower-priced vehicles are still a little stark for my tastes (not so for their more upmarket vehicles), but they are well-built, reasonably reliable, have good fit/finish, and excellent warranty coverage. Prices, especially in the last couple of years, have also risen with the improvements in the vehicles, but are still somewhat on the bargain side compared to much of their competition. Overall, Kia's engineering and quality have gotten to the point where a number of automotive reviewers choose their vehicles over comparable Hyundai-badged ones. The Kia Optima mid-size sedan, lately, has gotten a particularly good reputation, and are often preferred in magazine or independent reviews (as is the larger Kia Cadenza full-size sedan) over their Hyundai Sonata and Azera counterparts.

Lately, though, Kia, perhaps due to its lower position in Hyundai's pecking-order, has lagged behind its master's position in the introduction of larger, more complex and more luxurious vehicles....particularly in sedans. For a while, the front-drive Optima was the company's largest American-market sedan, but, though very well-designed and built, was obviously not the answer to those who wanted a large, refined, luxury car. Last year, the larger front-drive Cadenza sedan, which was done on the same platform/drivetrain as Hyundai's Azera, was introduced (I did a full-review on the Cadenza, which more or less occupies the same position as the earlier ill-fated Kia Amanti, and was generally impressed with it). But even the Cadenza still remained somewhat in the shadow of Hyundai's large rear-drive V8 Equus (which, though with comparatively low-sales, competes with upmarket Lexus sedans), and the rear-drive Genesis V8 sedan, which has generally been a success in the American market.

For 2015, that changes with the introduction of the all-new full-size, V8 rear-drive Kia K900....Kia's first true luxury vehicle of this type in the American market, though it has been marketed in South Korea and other countries as the K9/Quoris since 2012. The American-market K900, for the first time, truly brings Kia into the bigger-leagues in the luxury-car business.....at a (relatively) bargain price. Though slightly shorter than the Hyundai Equus, it was derived from a derivative of the same general BH-L platform used by the Equus and Genesis. For now, at least, one trim-version of the new K900 is offered in the American market....the Luxury. Base price starts at $59,500. One engine is offered...... a 5.0L V8 of 420 HP and 376 ft-lbs.of torque. Likewise, one transmission.....an 8-speed Sport-Shift automatic. This is, essentially, with some very minor differences and tweaking, the same drivetrain found in the Hyundai Equus and 5.0L Genesis. Only rear-drive (RWD) is offered, as Hyundai does not offer AWD in those models either.

Those of you who are interested in either a test-drive or lease/purchase of a K900 may (?) have to go some distance to find a Kia dealership that actually handles them. In my area, which includes maybe 6 or 7 Kia shops, only one of them had any in stock (3 were shown on their website as of last evening). Fortunately, for me, it was not a very long drive.....about 20-30 minutes. This morning, as I arrived at the dealership for the review, two had been sold (yes, that quick), and only one was left unsold.....a nice metallic Titanium Brown one (actually more brownish-gray in color) with Black Wood/Leather interior. The sales-guy was SUPER-nice, offered me a test-drive even though it was the last unsold one on the lot, told me didn't have to keep the miles down as long as I didn't get carried away (it already had 100 miles on it), did the usual drivers' license-Xerox, got the ignition fob and dealer-plate, and I was on my way. When I got back, the sales-manager greeted me and was anxious to get my opinion on the car. I remarked at how few Kia shops actually seemed to be carrying them, and he said that only two of them in the state of Virginia had been certified for the K900....which would explain the compile lack of them at other local Kia shops. And, to get that certification, he said the dealership had to spend $150,000 in renovations to the showroom and service facilities. I noticed several walls and room-additions/remodelings going on, so he seemed to be telling the truth....something that sales-managers, of course, don't always do. And, not surprisingly (as I expected), K900s are selling for list or very close to it..........no big discounts, at least, until the new-model hype is over and/or supply and demand stabilizes a little more. So, unfortunately, there goes at least some of the car's relatively bargain price compared to German and Japanese competitors.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2015 Kia K900 Luxury

BASE PRICE: $59,500

OPTIONS:

VIP Package: $6000 (as expected for the option-price, this includes a LOT of features...see the web site for details).

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $900 (about average for a car of this size and weight)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $66,400

DRIVETRAIN: RWD, Longitudinally-mounted 5.0L V8, 420 HP @ 6400 RPM, Torque 376 Ft-lbs. @ 5000 RPM, 8-speed Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 15 City, 23 Highway, 18 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Titanium Brown (Metallic)

INTERIOR: Black Nappa Leather/Wood

PLUSSES (+) :

A credible competitor to top-level German/Japanese RWD V8 rear-drive luxury cars at a lower price.

Excellent Kia 10/100 and 5/60 warranties....but parts of it are not transferable to second owners.

Strong, responsive engine.

Refined and flexible 8-speed automatic transmission.

Super-quiet ride and noise control approaches that of Lexus LS.

Excellent ride comfort over virtually all surfaces.

Superb paint job.

Strong, solid body sheet metal.

Well-done, high-quality exterior trim....with one exception (the fender portholes).

Power-adjustments for almost every conceivable function inside.

Relatively simple climate-control buttons/controls for a car this complex.

Multi-function dash-camera watches several directions at once.

Superb interior fit/finish.

Excellent quality interior trim materials and hardware.

Nice-feeling seat leather.

Comfortable front seats include cushion-extenders.

Superb stereo sound quality.

Nice, clear, easy-to-read gauge and shift-indicator graphics (in analog mode).

Unbelievably nice carpet for the trunk-floor.

MINUSES (-) :

Restricted dealership outlets.

Deals/discounts unlikely (for now) on a purchase.

(Possible) high depreciation for resale.

No AWD available as on some competitors.

Slow steering response.

Moderate body roll.

Somewhat jumpy throttle.

Underhood layout almost totally hidden from view.

Only five exterior paint colors.

Paint-color choices extremely dull.

Imitation Buick portholes on front fenders somewhat out of place on a Kia.

Body side moldings much too low for parking-lot protection.

Complex video screen/console ***** for stereo.

Multi-function rear seats compromise either headroom/legroom, depending on settings.

Quirky plastic electronic shift-lever..but not as quirky as in some BMWs.

No shift-paddles for the transmission.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the new K900 for the first time, there is no doubt, style-wise, that it is a member of the Kia sedan family.....the looks make it obvious. Though somewhat longer than its brother Cadenza, it is still close enough in both dimensions and looks that it can be difficult to tell one from the other on the lot. (Indeed, both the salesman and myself had to look very carefully this morning, in one of the largest Kia dealerships in the area, to find that last unsold Titanium Brown K900 in a sea of Cadenzas....it was not easy to spot). The K900 is unmistakably Kia all the way....the same tiger-nose grille, wide under-grille slots, horizontally-swept headlights, somewhat slab-sided bodysides, and humpback-roofline.

The body sheet metal, in solidness and strength, seemed at least a grade or two higher than that found on many other cars these days......(the new Toyota Avalon's thin sheet metal comes especially to mind). On many cars today, I can rather easily push the metal in with one finger or hand, but this was difficult to do on the K900. The doors, in general, had a solid heavy feel, but, for some reason, when they shut, the rear doors seemed to shut with a more solid-feeling sound than the fronts (power soft-touch door-closers are an option). All of the outside trim was smooth, solid-feeling, and well-attached, with excellent fit/finish....no rough edges. Three things, though, on the outside, I wasn't impressed with. First. the lack of a body-side moulding at the proper level for protection (the side chrome-moulding at the bottom of the doors is far too low for parking-lot protection). Second, though well-attached, the tacky-looking, Buick-like, twin portholes on the side of the fenders (this car may DRIVE like a classic big Buick, but, please.....save the portholes for actual Buicks). Third, the paint-color choice, which IMO, which was about as attractive as a landfill...I'll get to that next.

The exterior paint-color choice (6) for the K900 is not quite as insulting as the sister Hyundai Equus (5)....but, like the Equus, all are SUPER-dull except for the White Pearl (which would be my choice). And, when the Equus first debuted, there were only 4 colors......white, black, gray, and silver.....since adding Titanium Brown (also, of course, offered on the K900). Hyundai/Kia marketers, take a hint: a 60K luxury car, in my opinion, is NOT the place to economize on paint-selection. To compensate, though, the paint job, like on most upmarket cars these days, is superbly done....mirror-smooth and shiny.

UNDERHOOD:

Open up the rather large solid hood, and a nice insulation pad lines the underside of it. Two very solid and durable-feeling gas struts hold the hood up for you. Underneath, though, the general underhood layout, typical of luxury-grade cars these days with large engines, is a mess, unless all you want to do is the the very simplest of functions.....pull out a dipstick or unscrew a filler-cap. The big, longitudinally (fore/aft)-mounted 5.0L V8 fits in between the inner-fenders so tightly that there is virtually no space for air to circulate around the engine and pick up heat. Although the bulk of the heat in a liquid-cooled gasoline engine is dissipated by the radiator, coolant, and oil-circulation, air-flow around the engine block also can play a part. I was concerned about the engine running warm, and kept an eye on the temperature gauge on the test-drive. But the needle never went more than halfway, even with the A/C running on a warm sunny day and stalled in an unexpected traffic jam on a test-drive winding/twisty 2-lane road I often take that is almost never traffic-clogged. So, perhaps the engineers this time knew what they were doing.....but I've seen some tight-engine fits (like on some Nissans) result in cooling problems in heavy traffic.

Anyhow, in my opinion, the underhood layout is a mess. EVERYTHING is covered up with big plastic covers or shields, except for the bare essentials.....dipstick, filler-caps, and a couple of fluid-reservoir caps. Sometimes I'm glad I'm not a Technician trying to work on today's luxury cars....or, obviously, a DIY'er.

INTERIOR:

The interior of the K900, as expected, is a very impressive, though, IMO not quite as plush-looking as that of the sister Hyundai Equus and its greater amount of (and more natural-looking) wood trim. Still, it's clear that Kia used Class-A materials for this car inside, even down to the jewel-like center-analog clock...as more and more upmarket cars these days seem to be copying that from Infiniti, who first used that type of clock. Almost none of the interior materials (except the plastic shift-lever, which I'll get to later), from the nice headliner all the way down to the carpets, had a cheap look or feel to them. The Nappa seat leather looked and felt nice, and the seats were comfortable for a person of my size to sit on. The 14-way power-adjustable drivers' seat (12-way for the passengers' seat) even included a power thigh-cushion extender and a power headrest. Not just the seats, but almost everything imaginable inside had some sort of power-adjustment or operation. This is truly a car for people who don't want to (or can't) do anything for themselves. The wood paneling, especially in the center-dash, was a little dark and too heavily-polished for my tastes (the Hyundai Equus clearly beats it in that department), but. as with the bright/brushed-metal trim, was of high quality and extremely well-applied. headroom was fine up front under the power-sunroof housing if the seat cushion was adjusted down. in the rear, headroom and legroom were both affected by the seat position. The rear seats power-adjust for both setback-rake and lower-cushion fore/aft position. But adjusting one affects the other. Power-lowering the seatback-rake, while increasing headroom, tightens up the available legroom because it automatically forces the cushion forward to allow room for the back-rake (the setback obviously can't realign through the rear shelf or window). So, with this kind of a set-up, getting both adequate legroom AND headroom in back for tall people could be a little dicey in some cases. But, this is a rather large car inside (by today's standards), so it's still not like being in a small cramped economy-car.

The electronic-generated gauges are clear and easy to read, especially in the traditional analog format. Switching the drive-mode from Sport to Normal back and forth changes the dash-gauges from a back-lit, traditional analog to a digital format (I clearly prefer the analog, but that is objective). One feature on the graphics that I especially liked was the way they did the little window to show you which transmisison-gear you are in. Instead of just a digital figure, in an unlit box, that counts up or down like with most cars, it shows a framed window and the figure, on a light-colored background, that literally rolls up or down out of the box...a nice little touch (but still keep your eyes on the road). The center-dash buttons inside, for the climate control and volume/tune, were nice-feeling and rather easy to use considering the car's complexity. But the solid-feeling **** and controls on the console were much more complex and difficult to use (sort of like BMW's I-Drive), and the dash screen's stereo readouts were complex. Some of those functions were also covered by buttons on the nice leather-covered and polished-wood steering wheel. The stereo sound quality itself, while excellent, was not quite up to the level of the Mark Levinson unit in the Lexus LS460....which is arguably the most impressive auto stereo I've ever sampled.

One thing interesting on the video-screen that was interesting was how the cameras worked. You not only had the usual back-up view with the brightly-colored sight-lines, but also, on the right, in a large inset, a complete overhead view around the car for obstacles anywhere around it. How they did this without actually having a camera above the car, I don't know......uness it was done by a combination of front/rear and side cameras. The video-screen could also be programmed to show a view out the drone of the car, if desired.....say, if a small child or pet were below the hood/sight-line of the driver looking forward. I must say that the ultra-nice salesperson was extremely helpful in setting up and demonstrating all of these camera-features.

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open the wide, solid trunk lid (my test-car had both power-opening/closing) and, though the steeply-rated roof line cuts into some of the trunk lid's depth, there is still room to load most largish items through its opening. Inside, as expected in a car of this size, you are treated to a large, roomy, and generally well-shaped trunk-compartment. On the floor, the packages and luggage get to TRULY ride in style.......it has some of the most plush, velvet-like, luxurious gray-black carpeting I've ever seen in a production trunk this side of a Rolls Royce. The carpet's napp must have been close to an inch thick (but not like regular ****-carpet), and soft enough to feel almost like a cat's fur. There obviously was no cost-cutting on this grade of carpet.......or with the polished-chrome (yes, real metal-chrome, not plastic) tie-down ring. The bean-counters, though, did strike under the trunk floor, with the usual temporary spare tire instead of a real one. Since the rear seat-backs have the built-in power rake and fore/aft adjustments, they don't seem to be able to fold down in the usual manner for added cargo space......but, of course, this is a pretty good-size trunk to start with (by today's sedan standards). A nice first-aid kit is mounted on the left inside wall of the trunk....which is pretty much standard in this class of car.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the big 5.0L V8 with a push-button and ignition fob (standard for this class of car), and the engine comes to life with, well, Lexus smoothness and refinement....not surprising considering that Kia targeted this car to the Lexus LS460. The V8, of course, remains super-smooth and quiet on the road, with only a faint amount of exhaust noise under acceleration. The acceleration level is not quite as muscle-car like as in the lighter, more sport-oriented Hyundai Genesis 5.0L with the same drivetrain, but, under power, still has enough spunk to give you a noticeable shove in the back. The 8-speed Sport-shift automatic can be shifted manually with the lever, but lacks the steering-column shift-paddles found on the more sport-oriented Genesis. Both manual and automatic shifts reflected the smooth, quiet, seamless nature of the engine itself. I didn't particularly care for the design of the shift lever itself....a rather small, plastic stub-lever on the console that, like similar BMW designs, barely fit the palm of my big hand. The lever has a couple of very small release-buttons you must also push to get out of Park or into Reverse, but, overall, operates a little better and more intuitively than the BMW stub-levers. The Sport-mode, compared to Normal, is supposed to raise the transmission's shift points for added engine response, and I did notice a little difference using it. But the throttle, starting up from rest, seemed jumpy in both modes unless carefully pressed. There is also an ECO mode to lessen the performance a little and save on gas.

The chassis, overall, is done just the way I like it.......despite the large wheels and very low-profile tires, clearly oriented more toward comfort rather then handling. (Sorry, aggressive drivers, if it's a sports-sedan you want, look elsewhere). The specs say the power steering is electro-hydraulic, rather than the more common electric on most new cars. And, at very low speeds, the slow-response effort is firm but with a somewhat artificial feel. Effort lessens as road speed increases, but steering response remains on the slow side, though reasonable for this class of car. Body roll is significant, as expected from a heavy car (4500+ lbs empty) and comfort-oriented underpinnings, but still nothing like the original Kia Amanti years ago, which plowed straight ahead like a battleship and rolled like a beach ball. (The Amanti was too much of a handling-boat for even my conservative tastes). The Sport mode is also supposed to firm up the underpinnings a little, but I didn't notice much of a difference in either ride comfort (which remained good) or handling response between the two modes. Both road/tire and wind noise, as expected from a Lexus LS-460 competitor, were very low...Kia certainly didn't skimp on sound-insulation. From what I remember on my last LS460 test-drive, though, the LS did seem slightly quieter on porous/grainy road surfaces, where the K900 had just a very faint rumble. The LS460's sound-isolation, at least without the F-Sport package, is admittedly close to perfection....though I haven't sampled the F-Sport version. The brakes, though not German-sedan-firm, didn't seem to have any problems. Response was not totally free of mush, but was up to the job, and my big size-15 clown-shoes had only a minor hang-up on the brake pedal moving from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

Since the majority of those reading this review will probably be from a Lexus forum (CL), the most obvious question that will come up........is the new K900 a credible competitor to the LS460? In my honest opinion, (mostly) yes....especially considering the roughly 13K difference in base price between the K900 and the entry-version of the LS. The LS is slightly quieter on road noise on grainy surfaces...otherwise, not much difference in noise level. Of course, the LS probably will, at least for now, sell at more of a discount off list price than the K900, which commands list or near it.....so some of the price-difference could be narrowed down in the deal itself. The LS is also likely to depreciate less in the next few years (hard to say beyond that)....so that could also affect 2-4 year lease-deals, as higher projected depreciation usually means higher lease rates. But, even so, that still is a significant difference in price, and, given the right dealership, salespeople, or circumstances, that still could mean the K900 being significantly less money for a comparable luxury car. But the LS still has one other thing going for it in its favor....it is sold and serviced anywhere you have a Lexus dealership, whereas you may have to travel some distance to find a Kia shop that is certified to handle the K900. For me, that was only about 10-12 miles, but that may not be the case in more sparsely-populated areas or where most of the Kia dealerships are small.

OK....so much for the K900 vs. the LS. What's the best way to describe the K900 itself? Based on my experience with the car, I'd say a classic Korean version of a traditional large RWD Buick or Cadillac.....only with FAR better fit/finish and interior materials. It is also likely to be more reliable, with a far better warranty, than traditional American luxury cars of the past, which were comfortable but sometimes shoddily-built. Kia has done an excellent job with this car for the price, if you discount things like the annoying cost-cutting on the paint colors and tacky Buick portholes on a car that is not a Buick, even if it drives more or less like an older Buick. I'd also like to see AWD offered on the K900, as surveys show that this is going to be more and more a requirement for luxury cars in the future if the want to sell. Hyundai does offer AWD on the Genesis with the 3.8L V6, but not with the 5.0L V8....or on the Equus at all. That needs to be addressed. But, is the K900, as it is, worth what what it costs? 60K+ is more money than I personally care to spend on a new car. But, for those who have the cash, can afford it, and want a nice well-built traditional big luxo-cruiser, yes, IMO, this would be money well-spent.

And, as always......Happy car-shopping.

MM
Old 10-18-14, 05:01 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Great review. Been waiting for it.

Personally I can't get past the Kia name. I also would not spend 60k for one when a Lexus or Mercedes canbe had at that price that is slightly used. Personally I think they need to make a few changes before they can compete.
Old 10-18-14, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg3852
Great review. Been waiting for it.
Thanks. Hoovey has also posted some other K900 press-reviews here in CAR CHAT.

Personally I can't get past the Kia name.
I couldn't ether....until about 8-10 years ago. Seeing is believing.

I also would not spend 60k for one when a Lexus or Mercedes can be had at that price that is slightly used.
That's probably why Kia aimed this car at the LS460, more than anything else......because of the LS reputation for excellence and its success in the marketplace. There are still advantages to buying a Kia brand-new.....the somewhat lower price for a brand-new car and the 10/100 drivetrain warranty. But those who prefer to do as you would (a used LS or S550) certainly have a valid point. The main problem with a Mercedes, though, if the work is not warranty or done free, is they they can eat you up in service/repair costs. Lexus, not as much, because of the better reliability and (somewhat) lower cost of service.

Personally I think they need to make a few changes before they can compete.
Yes, an AWD option would probably be the most important. But the paint choices are also a mess. I truly think that one reason why the Equus has not done a lot better than it has is the insultingly low number of super-dull paint-color voices. Those who cough up 60K or more for a new car are, IMO, entitled to more than gray, silver, white, black, and (recently Titanium Brown). A funeral home can do better than that.
Old 10-18-14, 06:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I dig the BMW shifter

Great vehicle. Will it sell well? Probably not, but this is a great exercise in what a brand known for building sub $10,000 cars and value vehicles can achieve
Old 10-18-14, 06:08 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent review sir!

Personally I don't like the style of the interior & exterior of this car. But I like what this car stands for, as cars like these are increasingly becoming harder & harder to find.

Every brands these days is into 'SPORTS', enough of that!!!
Old 10-18-14, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I dig the BMW shifter
The K900's shifter, style and material-wise, is actually more or less a copy of the BMW console-shifter you like, but is somewhat more fluid, simple, and less-confusing in its operation.

I respect the fact that you may like the BMW shifter. But, like with the I-Drive, it has been the subject of a number of pans with press-reviewers and Consumer Reports.

Great vehicle.
Close to an LS, but not quite.

Will it sell well? Probably not, but this is a great exercise in what a brand known for building sub $10,000 cars and value vehicles can achieve
Right now, it does seem to be selling in the short run, but that is because of new-model hype and the fact that only certain Kia shops are handling it. It's selling well at a few dealerships...and nowhere else.

If it doesn't sell in the long run (and I agree with you...that's going to be iffy), greg3852 probably put the finger on a more likely reason....some people just can't get past the Kia nameplate. Living in the past (though I've sometimes been guilty of it myself) is not always a good thing...sometimes it can prevent someone from recognizing positive changes in the marketplace.
Old 10-18-14, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
Excellent review sir!
Thanks. Like with the Genesis 5.0L I also recently reviewed, it was a pleasure to drive this car. Though a luxo-cruiser and not the type of aggressive-driving machine that would be popular with a lot of guys on forums like this, it drives the way I like a car to drive....quiet, comfortable, and relaxing. Like the Genesis (though to a lesser extent), it has a good enough power-to-weight ratio to more than get out of its own way.

Personally I don't like the style of the interior & exterior of this car. But I like what this car stands for, as cars like these are increasingly becoming harder & harder to find.
You might (?) like the interior of the Hyundai Equus a little more. It has substantially more wood-trim inside and is more characteristic of a traditional American or British luxury-car.

Every brands these days is into 'SPORTS', enough of that!!!
Yep. Couldn't agree more. Enough is enough.
Old 10-19-14, 01:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think Kia did a great job with this, just as Hyundai did on the Equus. However, some interior bits seem quite off. What's with the dark color trim at the bottom of the steering wheel hub and at the top of the rim? Is that supposed to be wood? Piano black? If so, it doesn't even come close to matching the modern wood on the center console. Also, there's a lot of plain, black plastic surrounding the clock area. This could have been finished nicer and made to match other high quality areas inside.
Old 10-19-14, 03:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I think Kia did a great job with this, just as Hyundai did on the Equus. However, some interior bits seem quite off. What's with the dark color trim at the bottom of the steering wheel hub and at the top of the rim? Is that supposed to be wood? Piano black? If so, it doesn't even come close to matching the modern wood on the center console. Also, there's a lot of plain, black plastic surrounding the clock area. This could have been finished nicer and made to match other high quality areas inside.
On the steering wheel rim, it's highly-polished brown wood on top and dash-color-matching leather wrap on the rest of it. That's more or less constant with other luxury cars, except that some of them also have a small area of polished wood on the bottom. I agree with you on the center-dash area trim. The salesman said it was dark wood, but, like you, it looks and feels to me like piano-black plastic. Still, it doesn't actually look that bad in person.
Old 10-19-14, 04:47 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Another great review MM!

Saw one of these at the car show last January (pic below) so its especially nice to read your thoughts on it now to complete the picture. My assessment is the same though, Not for me but there is no denying this is a really nice effort.
Attached Thumbnails MM Full-Review: 2015 Kia K900-dsc_0082-kia-900.jpg  
Old 10-19-14, 09:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Another great review MM!
Thanks. I enjoyed doing it.

Saw one of these at the car show last January (pic below) so its especially nice to read your thoughts on it now to complete the picture. My assessment is the same though,
At the big shows last January (including the one here in D.C. I attend every year) Kia had a black K900 on the turntable with the doors open so you could see inside.......although I see that the one you posted was silver. But, in most cases, that was about as close as non-press/non-corporate viewers could get to it. I am strongly opposed to that. (IMO, if a company is going to display their cars, let people sit in them and judge for themselves.....that's the whole reason you have auto shows to start with). But the majority of auto firms just don't think that way......if it hasn't been formally released in the market, and especially if it is a pre-production model, most people don't get a chance to sit in it....period.

Not for me but there is no denying this is a really nice effort.
No, it won't be for you if you like a sharp-handling sports-sedan. Despite the large wheels and low-profile tires (and the engine's abundant power), this is far more of a cruiser than a bruiser.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-19-14, 09:42 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You might (?) like the interior of the Hyundai Equus a little more. It has substantially more wood-trim inside and is more characteristic of a traditional American or British luxury-car.

=)
Just a note, the Equus' interior was updated last year.

Old 10-19-14, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just a note, the Equus' interior was updated last year.
Thanks. I had been responding to the comment from about yowps3 about him not feeling the interior of the new K900. I pointed out that he might (?) like the interior of the Equus more than the K900 because of the more extensive wood-paneling and overall cozier look to it. But that seems to be the case with both the former and the latest Equus interior....not really that much difference between the two.
Old 10-19-14, 10:08 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice review. I think they did a nice job with this car, interior looks much better then the original Genesis/Equus. I could see picking up one of these used in a couple of years in the mid 20K range and getting a really nice under the radar luxury car. Pricing a new KIA in the 60's is really reaching though, they are not going to find many buyers at all especially when you can negotiate a new LS to the 60's or get a used German flagship sedan in the 60's.
Old 10-19-14, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Nice review.
Thanks.

I think they did a nice job with this car, interior looks much better then the original Genesis/Equus. I could see picking up one of these used in a couple of years in the mid 20K range and getting a really nice under the radar luxury car. Pricing a new KIA in the 60's is really reaching though, they are not going to find many buyers at all especially when you can negotiate a new LS to the 60's or get a used German flagship sedan in the 60's.
Yes, the K900 can be expected to depreciate, but, even by Kia standards, I don't see its residual price on the used-car market dropping from 60K+ to 25K in just two years. If it WAS projected to depreciate that much, that quickly, monthly lease deals would probably be very expensive unless you put a lot down to start.

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2015 Kia K900