Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda's Future Plans

Old 08-28-14, 02:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mazda's Future Plans

Mazda making big changes fast

Mazda continues to roll out product changes at a pace that's more associated with the world of apps than autos.

The company is working to make significant product updates quickly, with some vehicles undergoing major changes in back-to-back years, such as the Mazda6, which gets a new interior in 2015 and new sheet metal in 2016. It was redesigned in 2013 for the 2014 model year.

Right now, Mazda is in the middle of what it calls its "sixth generation" product, defined by the initial deployment of its Skyactiv vehicle platform architecture and powertrain portfolio and its "kodo" design language.

Kodo is Japanese for "soul of motion."

The seventh generation, for which Mazda will roll out all-new platforms and sheet metal for all of its products over five to six years, starts in 2018 with the redesigned Mazda3.

Here's a look at what Mazda has planned until then.

Mazda2: U.S.-bound production of the redesigned Mazda2 begins in November. The subcompact rides on an all-new platform using the Skyactiv architecture and powertrains. Base models will get power from a 1.5-liter four-cylinder Skyactiv engine; Mazda also will offer a sportier Mazda2 with a 1.5-liter modified with a freer-breathing intake and exhaust for increased power as Mazda seeks class-leading performance among subcompacts.

Mazda3: The Mazda3's next major change is a 2017 model year re-engineering that will give the sedan new sheet metal in the second half of 2016. The new metal will be underpinned by a revamped version of the car's existing Skyactiv platform.

The change is expected to coincide with the return of the Mazdaspeed3 high-performance version to the lineup. Under the hood of the go-fast Mazda3 will be a turbocharged 2.5-liter Skyactiv engine -- also appearing in the redesigned CX-9 launching that year -- that will produce more than 300 hp in the Mazdaspeed3. The usual Mazdaspeed exterior touches -- such as a unique fascia, body kit and bigger wheels with low-profile, high-performance tires -- are expected to differentiate the car from mainstream Mazda3 models.

Mazda also may equip the Mazdaspeed3 with all-wheel drive, making it a worthy competitor to the Subaru WRX STI and filling a void in the fast-compact segment created by the impending cancellation of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

Then, in 2018, the Mazda3 will be redesigned on an all-new platform.

Mazda5: With the small-van segment shrinking as customers migrate to small crossovers, the six-passenger Mazda5 will be phased out of Mazda's U.S. lineup in 2015.

Mazda6: The interior of Mazda's midsize sedan will undergo major changes when its re-engineered 2016 model arrives in the first quarter next year. The sedan gets a new center console and a thinner dashboard that sits lower in the cabin -- a change allowed by the use of a thin infotainment screen that will sit atop the dash rather than within it. The overall layout will be similar to the Mazda3's and more upscale than the current Mazda6 interior.

The Mazda Connect infotainment system that debuted on the Mazda3 also will be added for the 2016 model year. The car will get a new front fascia, and LED headlights will be added to some trims, with sheet metal updates coming the following year.

MX-5 Miata: The fourth generation of the venerable MX-5 Miata debuts at a media event next month before going on sale next summer for the 2016 model year. The redesigned MX-5 is expected to be close to the original Miata in terms of dimensions and the roadster's roughly 2,100-pound curb weight. Under the hood will be a Skyactiv 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission.

Roughly a year after the soft-top goes on sale, Mazda will release a hardtop MX-5 that will have a unique, fastback-style silhouette, Automotive News has been told.

Rotary-engine sports car: Work continues on the next generation of Mazda's rotary engine. If all goes well, the vehicle to house it is being imagined as a successor to the two-seat RX-7, not the four-seat RX-8. But it's still unclear when, if ever, such a car would hit the road.

CX-3: Mazda will join the burgeoning subcompact crossover segment when the new CX-3 goes on sale next June for the 2016 model year, Automotive News has learned.

Although Mazda hasn't said so publicly, the CX-3 has been confirmed for the U.S. It will be built on the new subcompact platform that underpins the redesigned Mazda2 and have upright, SUV-style proportions to differentiate it from the Mazda3 five-door hatchback. Under the hood will be a naturally aspirated 2.0-liter from Mazda's Skyactiv portfolio, mated to a six-speed automatic. A manual transmission also may be offered.

CX-5: The CX-5 compact crossover's interior will be freshened in the first quarter next year for the 2016 model year. A new front fascia and LED headlights also are included in the update. Then, in the first half of 2016, the CX-5 gets all-new sheet metal for its 2017 model year re-engineering.

CX-9: Mazda's family-hauling midsize crossover will be redesigned for the 2017 model year and will go on sale in the first quarter of 2016. The CX-9's new sheet metal will reflect the kodo design language used in recent Mazda redesigns. The V-6 engine powering the current CX-9 will be replaced by a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder from Mazda's Skyactiv portfolio.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...EM04/308259975
Old 08-28-14, 02:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice to see this activity from Mazda, the little guy. I wish them well
Old 08-29-14, 05:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Mazda is doing everything right... I hope their sales continue to go up significantly to match their vehicle progress.
Old 08-29-14, 06:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The CX-5 has a lot of tech for a good price.Much of the tech in my GS.
Nice looking and handling CUV.Pretty quick too.
Really the only knock I have is the infotainment system is a bit slow but a firmware update rumor is said to be coming this Fall.
Texting works with the S5 and not much anything else.
Still a great bang for the buck.

I wonder what the reliability of the Skyactiv set up will be long term.Though not a big concern as I usually don't keep a vehicle long.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-29-14 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 07:24 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The CX-5 has a lot of tech for a good price.Much of the tech in my GS.
Nice looking and handling CUV.Pretty quick too.
Really the only knock I have is the infotainment system is a bit slow but a firmware update rumor is said to be coming this Fall.
Texting works with the S5 and not much anything else.
Still a great bang for the buck.

I wonder what the reliability of the Skyactiv set up will be long term.Though not a big concern as I usually don't keep a vehicle long.
Hi Joe. Looking at CR from their Owner Surveys they rate the Reliability of the 2013 CX-5 and 3 as Above Average. SkyActive is still new but at least for the short term the reliability looks pretty good.
Old 08-29-14, 08:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Hi Joe. Looking at CR from their Owner Surveys they rate the Reliability of the 2013 CX-5 and 3 as Above Average. SkyActive is still new but at least for the short term the reliability looks pretty good.
Old 08-29-14, 10:17 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The sad thing is that most mazda owners are very much car-people, and they tend to find stuff and complain more.

I have owned 2 mazdas over 12 years, and same for my 2 Lexus. From a problem and reliability perspective, they are almost equal in favor of Mazda.

My friends & colleagues who own Hon/Toy have had more visits than I ever had when I had my Mazdas.
Old 08-29-14, 11:07 AM
Hoovey689

I'm excited for them. Doing some good things
Old 08-30-14, 05:58 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mazdaspeed3 drivetrain + mazda 3 sedan body = profit

so foolish they won't even consider this
Old 08-30-14, 07:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The sad thing is that most mazda owners are very much car-people, and they tend to find stuff and complain more.

I have owned 2 mazdas over 12 years, and same for my 2 Lexus. From a problem and reliability perspective, they are almost equal in favor of Mazda.

My friends & colleagues who own Hon/Toy have had more visits than I ever had when I had my Mazdas.
Euro-wise, up to 3-4 years ago Mazda was topping most surveys (better than Toyota)... now they are in the top 5. New diesels had issues when introduced few years back, not sure if thats solved.

Always found it interesting how Euro surveys have Mazda and Mitsubishi at the top :-)
Old 08-30-14, 10:05 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
Euro-wise, up to 3-4 years ago Mazda was topping most surveys (better than Toyota)... now they are in the top 5. New diesels had issues when introduced few years back, not sure if thats solved.

Always found it interesting how Euro surveys have Mazda and Mitsubishi at the top :-)
Perhaps the reason the Mazda6 diesel has been pushed back the time table multiple times (the ones slated Stateside)
Old 08-30-14, 10:25 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Been a Mazda fan for a long time and as for reliability I was impressed with getting 170k from my 1988 RX-7 convertible. Not bad for a rotary. Setting that aside all the interior parts were still in excellent shape for having been exposed to the hard elements of top down driving. While the top was the mist impressive if all. Made in 1988 when it died with 170k mile the top didn't leak, fade, or have a tear in it. Once I came out to find foot prints from the trunk to the hood as it was parked outside. Someone had walked on the verts hard top and it still held up.
Only issue was getting in and out on the last Mazda 6. Man what a PIA. Always hitting my head. Everything else about it was great.
Old 08-30-14, 12:10 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

The little guy that could. They have a good management leading them and I'm glad that they're not losing their core values of "zoom, zoom" in their bid to grow.
Old 08-30-14, 02:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Mazda is doing everything right... I hope their sales continue to go up significantly to match their vehicle progress.
The CX-9 is going to get killed with no 6 cylinder option. And it won't matter if the SkyActive engine is as good or better--perception is reality, and when all the competitor 3-row mid-sized SUVs have V6s, Mazda is going to get left behind.
Old 08-30-14, 02:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
The CX-9 is going to get killed with no 6 cylinder option. And it won't matter if the SkyActive engine is as good or better--perception is reality, and when all the competitor 3-row mid-sized SUVs have V6s, Mazda is going to get left behind.
Maybe by the 2017 model year some other brands will offer a 4 cylinder boosted engine in their 3 row suvs. If not, I agree, it might be a tough sell for Mazda.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mazda's Future Plans