Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Gen Ford Taurus Thread

Old 04-13-15, 08:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

we europeans just got the "current old" one, i cant believe they will do much to US model.
Old 04-13-15, 08:52 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
I drove a Fusion Energi and came away very impressed. The ride on that car was smooth, the handling (limited testing since I was downtown but managed to find an empty road in the industrial area) is more European than American. And the driver's seat was very comfortable.

As much as I like the Camry, I don't see why the Fusion can't be up there. In fact why isn't there a comparison between the Fusion and the Camry or the Fusion and the Accord? Aside from MyFordTouch (which will be replaced by SYNC3 soon), it doesn't really have any glaring faults.
The fusion is certainly up there is terms of the cars performance / comfort / handling etc. For that matter I don't think most mid size sedans have any glaring faults but that does not necessarily translate into sales. Look at Mazda 6 as an example. The mass market goes a lot by long term reputation, value, loyalty, perception of the brand etc in which the Camry is tough to beat.
Old 04-14-15, 02:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
The fusion is certainly up there is terms of the cars performance / comfort / handling etc. For that matter I don't think most mid size sedans have any glaring faults but that does not necessarily translate into sales. Look at Mazda 6 as an example. The mass market goes a lot by long term reputation, value, loyalty, perception of the brand etc in which the Camry is tough to beat.
True. I love the exterior design of the Mazda6 and, in Canada, all trim levels can be equipped with a 6-speed manual so the enthusiast who has a family can still enjoy a loaded mid-size sedan when not doing family duties. Also of note, I found the Mazda6' door sill to be rather wide. It's certainly wider than a normal FWD car, more akin to sports cars.

Edit: Oh and Soul Red matched with Off-White Leather looks amazing but the interior will be a pain to keep clean. No denim!
Old 04-14-15, 02:13 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
There's not really any reason the Fusion couldn't be a Camry beater. Granted, mine is a 2012, so it's not the current gen, but it's a spectacular vehicle so far. I love it. MPG could be a little better(I decided it was more important to have a 3.0 V6 over the better economy of a 4 cylinder), but I'm very happy.

Can't wait to see this new one.
Well--the EcoBoost 4 cylinder hasn't been getting good mpg either. If this refresh has HID headlights, then there is no reason to get the MKZ at all.
Old 04-14-15, 02:14 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

True. I love the exterior design of the Mazda6 and, in Canada, all trim levels can be equipped with a 6-speed manual so the enthusiast who has a family can still enjoy a loaded mid-size sedan when not doing family duties. Also of note, I found the Mazda6' door sill to be rather wide. It's certainly wider than a normal FWD car, more akin to sports cars.

Edit: Oh and Soul Red matched with Off-White Leather looks amazing but the interior will be a pain to keep clean. No denim!
You are lucky, don't think you can get the manual with the top trim here is the US. I wish however they had continued offering a V6
Old 04-14-15, 10:02 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

You are lucky, don't think you can get the manual with the top trim here is the US. I wish however they had continued offering a V6
Yeah that point has been made repeatedly in Canadian automotive media lol. One of rare "bonuses". It's usually the other way around where the U.S. gets a particular combination that we don't.

I wish they brought back the wagon as well. The 1G 6 Wagon was sharp. I saw one the other day with a family loading up the car seats and shopping. It was purple w/ beige interior (looks better than it sounds). Even the 2G Euro-spec Atenza estate looked pretty sharp when I saw one in Europe in 2011. The 3G is out there somewhere.

It's labelled as the Mazda6 but we still haven't seen it here.

Old 04-14-15, 10:18 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

You are right the wagon does look nice just like most of the current gen Mazda's - they have really nailed the design.

They were planning a diesel engine option for the US market not sure what happened to that.
Old 04-15-15, 10:10 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

They were planning a diesel engine option for the US market not sure what happened to that.
Mazda could not get the balance of emissions and power that they wanted. They originally wanted to produce a SkyActiv Diesel without selective catalytic reduction (SCR) emissions aftertreatment with AdBlue diesel exhaust fluid, but it seems they could not get the exhaust emissions low enough.
Old 04-15-15, 07:18 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Mazda does have a hybrid Mazda3 in Japan but I don't think they'll bring it over. It doesn't suit the marketing they have for the Mazda3 in North America.

A Mazda6 diesel wagon or CX-5 would be a great option.
Old 04-15-15, 08:04 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Mazda does have a hybrid Mazda3 in Japan but I don't think they'll bring it over. It doesn't suit the marketing they have for the Mazda3 in North America.

A Mazda6 diesel wagon or CX-5 would be a great option.
The Mazda3 Hybrid uses a licensed Toyota Hybrid system, I believe.

No, it would not suit Mazda North America marketing, but as it is a licensed system, perhaps the agreement with Toyota did not allow Mazda to sell it in North America.
Old 08-13-15, 05:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Possible leaked 2017 Fusion

http://corporate.ford.com/content/da...s-20150812.pdf

And to reiterate the interior spied months ago

Old 08-13-15, 08:00 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

http://corporate.ford.com/content/da...s-20150812.pdf

And to reiterate the interior spied months ago

That interior photo is none other than the one for the next Taurus (revealed in Shanghai), as that prototype appeared too early. Prototypes of the updated Fusion just started appearing recently. I really wonder how Ford is going to manage the life-cycle in tandem with the Mondeo, as I barely saw my first Mondeo in Milton Keynes several months ago. Maybe the Fusion gets a redesign in 2019, then Mondeo in 2020?
Old 08-13-15, 08:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
That interior photo is none other than the one for the next Taurus (revealed in Shanghai), as that prototype appeared too early. Prototypes of the updated Fusion just started appearing recently. I really wonder how Ford is going to manage the life-cycle in tandem with the Mondeo, as I barely saw my first Mondeo in Milton Keynes several months ago. Maybe the Fusion gets a redesign in 2019, then Mondeo in 2020?
I had to take a look at the side picture again and plain as day that C-Pillar is huge (like the current Taurus). You're right cmk1. Editing thread title from Fusion to Taurus

Old 08-14-15, 01:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The easiest way to make the Taurus look better is to cut off it's huge azz. It has to have one of the biggest rumps in the history of modern cars. Not only does it look awkward, it obstructs outward visibility.