Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should the next LS go after?
Something traditional like the Mercedes S Class.
75.32%
Something more sporty like the Jaguar XJ.
24.68%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Next Lexus LS (2018 model)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 06:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,546 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Several other brands have pedestrian detection, and the Mercedes E-class will move the steering wheel the required amount to avoid said pedestrian as long as it feels you beginning to steer that direction. I guess it's nice the LS will do the entire song and dance automatically, if that's how I'm understanding it works.
Its funny when it comes to these automated driving aids. Each manufacturer has one piece of the puzzle...MB does one thing that Tesla doesn't do, and the argument has always been low speed maneuvering and reacting to unexpected things, such as a pedestrian walking out. Well, now Lexus has that piece. Put them all together at some point and you'll have a self driving car lol
Old 01-09-17, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
CAFE only effects Lexus with the new LS?
No, of course not.....but your question seemed to specifically address the LS.
Old 01-09-17, 06:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its funny when it comes to these automated driving aids. Each manufacturer has one piece of the puzzle...MB does one thing that Tesla doesn't do, and the argument has always been low speed maneuvering and reacting to unexpected things, such as a pedestrian walking out. Well, now Lexus has that piece. Put them all together at some point and you'll have a self driving car lol
Totally agree that it's amusing to watch unfold, especially given the hardware and software for these systems are frequently coming from the exact same suppliers. Mobileye works with 25 different automakers, believe it or not.
Old 01-09-17, 06:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Totally agree that it's amusing to watch unfold, especially given the hardware and software for these systems are frequently coming from the exact same suppliers. Mobileye works with 25 different automakers, believe it or not.
Its almost like they're doing it this way by design...perhaps so no one automaker takes on all the potential for liability if it all goes wrong lol
Old 01-09-17, 06:24 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I am just happy that we now have the 3.5 turbo V6 and that can find it's way into the GS and IS
I am inclined to think if this engine makes it to the next gen IS/GS, they will de-tune it to 350hp for those models...what do you think?
Old 01-09-17, 06:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
I am inclined to think if this engine makes it to the next gen IS/GS, they will de-tune it to 350hp for those models...what do you think?
More likely it will be engine in next gen GS F / RC F and standard cars have a 2.0 4cyl turbo with about 300hp plus hybrid options that make 350-400hp.
Old 01-09-17, 06:30 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Recently Toyota spent quite some time during their Concept-i unveiling, educating the audience of media on the official standards and levels of self-driving technology. They said the highest level is 5 which is true autonomous driving with zero concerns, and that we (all auto manufacturers and technology) are still many decades away from that. We are currently at level 3 or something with our highest tech. I thought it was very interesting and probably deserves its own thread here.

Old 01-09-17, 06:34 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone know when the current 5.0 V8 will be retired - in 10 to 15 years the GSF, RCF, and LC500 will be awesome cars as long as gas price stay cheap. Last of the great NA V8s!
Old 01-09-17, 06:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Seeing that they just put it into the LC, its going to be a while.

I wonder what the thought process was there, why not put the TTV6 in the LC as well...I'd say it wasn't ready, but its not like the LC is at dealers either...
Old 01-09-17, 06:37 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Seeing that they just put it into the LC, its going to be a while.

I wonder what the thought process was there, why not put the TTV6 in the LC as well...I'd say it wasn't ready, but its not like the LC is at dealers either...
I think the LC needed an "emotional" powerplant and the V8 was the best solution.
Old 01-09-17, 06:38 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm disappointed. I loved the current generation car the minute I first saw it. I really WANT to like any Lexus because they make very refined vehicles. Note the vehicles we own now in my signature, and I have owned two GS 350s. But the new LS just doesn't move the needle far enough forward for me. In fairness, neither have some of the new BMWs and Audis, and I have/do own some of those brands.

Based upon what im seeing I'd be more inclined to save $20k and buy the new Genesis G90.
Old 01-09-17, 06:39 PM
Lead Lap

Received 761 Likes on 511 Posts

Disappointed. The tail looks like it came from a Camry. The interior fins looks a bit off. I guess I will keep my v8 lexus for another 10 years.
Old 01-09-17, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think the car looks better in videos, check out this video from TFL Car:

Two things of interest:

1. No more power seat belt anchors (you'll see in the pictures). The LS is the only flagship car that has these, S Class doesn't even. LS has always had these and they're memory linked which I have always liked a lot. (FFWD to 2:22)

2. This is a biggie....they are studying AWD, but at launch it is only RWD. Very interesting. If this is true I think this is a huge deal, customers here and elsewhere really have become accustomed to AWD luxury cars, and it will be the only car in the segment that doesn't come AWD. (FFWD to 1:43).

I really have gotten used to the AWD, RWD only would be another huge roadblock to me purchasing one.

Old 01-09-17, 06:51 PM
Lead Lap

Received 761 Likes on 511 Posts

EV Mode! So they show the photo without announcing the power plant for the Hybrid LS.
Old 01-09-17, 06:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I don't see this being as smooth and/or refined as the outgoing UR V8, let alone the UZ 4.3 and 4.0. If there was one defining characteristic of the older LS cars, it was the smooth and refined engines.
And you have not even tried it out yet. Wait until it is released. There is a trade off between a driving experience that is sporty and fun lots of power from a Twin Turbo V6. This new engine will be refined, quiet but yet very powerful and thrilling.

Lexus is going after the Porsche Panemara crowd while also going after S-class, 7series and the usual suspects. The current LS460 is not in that category and a super quiet no thrill V8 is not enough for this crowd. Performance also is going to increase with a V6 as it will be lighter, but yet more powerful.

Originally Posted by CleanSC

Everything being identical, a naturally aspirated powertrain will give less problems than a turbocharged one. The plumbing alone required for a turbo car complicates things a lot and introduces many potential problem areas as the car ages.

It's simple. The less parts you have, they less chance they have to fail.
You are correct but you are also incorrect. Parts, design life, engineering, and design life all go a long way. Like I said, Toyota has be making Turbos for a very long time, it is nothing new. The Toyota diesel engines in the Africa use turbo for their trucks and SUVs. There is no evidence to suggest that those diesel engines are any less reliable than the V8 from your Lexus. In theory, they could even be "more" reliable.

I am fully confident that this new Lexus LS V6 with Twin Turbo will be perfectly fine.

Quick Reply: Next Lexus LS (2018 model)