Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Texas DMV working to avoid sticker shock of single-tag system in 2015

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 11:20 AM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to get that ugly blue registration sticker lower on the windshield when Texas only requires one sticker starting next year. It really annoys me to see that thing constantly in my field of vision, as I'm sure it does many other people.
Old 06-26-14, 11:27 AM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GXtoGStoLS
I can't wait to get that ugly blue registration sticker lower on the windshield when Texas only requires one sticker starting next year. It really annoys me to see that thing constantly in my field of vision, as I'm sure it does many other people.
I say do away with both and put a sticker on the license plate like California. If you're worried about theft, just razor blade the sticker like all residents in California do. Obstruction gone and improved visibility.
Old 06-26-14, 01:00 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I did Texas inspections till retiring recently. I took pride in a clean, neat and properly placed stickers. There was very little pressure to "push" repair business from inspections. There was always plenty of legitimate stuff needed. Stuff that was obviously illegal like grinding brakes, emissions tampering, too dark tint, smoked lamps, loose or visibly mis-aimed headlamps, ripped wipers, just to name a few, were the most common fails. Emission fails were fairly common. Very few people got upset when their vehicle failed if the problem was explained clearly. Some folks objected paying for a failed inspection. Only about 10% of vehicles failed.

These inspections were three parts, safety, emissions and gas cap. To fail all three parts was quite rare. When it did happen, we called it a Grand Slam.