Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test drove the Chevy SS today

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-14, 04:01 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
H,$47K is affordable?
Add in it's an ugly high performance Malibu.
Yes it's good value for money actually. How much does the equivalent C63 AMG or M5 cost?
Old 05-10-14, 04:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That's not true at all. My CT was borderline crap, but I tone it down as this is a Lexus forum.
The CT I reviewed had decent interior materials (especially the nice NuLuxe upholstery, which I was impressed with), and, overall, was well-assembled with good fit/finish. But I agree that its firm noisy ride and overall lack of refinement was more worthy of a Toyota badge than a Lexus.

GM on the other hand should focus on reliability, affordability, and interior materials.
GM does interiors (and materials) that, IMO, run the whole gamut from superb to just plain junk. One of the reasons (among many) that I bought a Verano was that I was impressed with its Opel-Astra-derived solid interior materials, strong solid construction, Germanc ride/handling balance, and lots of Buick-added sound-insulation for a quiet ride. But, even in the Buick showroom (I may own a Verano, but I'm not necessarily a Buick-fanboy) there are some models that I am clearly not impressed with. And the Cadillac XTS, IMO, though with a nice interior and an AWD option, is otherwise a joke and not worthy of a flagship-designation.

Making a $47k Chevy SS is just stupid.
Is it dumb, then, for Chrysler to make SRT Chargers and 300s that sell the same general price range......or more? A few years ago, I did a special end-of-year review of a Chrysler SRT 300 that listed above 60K.
Old 05-10-14, 06:39 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think anyone would actually pay $46K for one.....see link ----

$7000 off MSRP before haggle!
Old 05-10-14, 06:48 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

There might be one or two nuts out there.
Old 05-11-14, 08:26 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

see you at the gas pump! make sure you get a CC with high % rewards for gas station purchases
Old 05-11-14, 09:43 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 89 Posts

Yeah, I saw the place in Miami that's selling them for $7k off MSRP. Pretty crazy. These cars didn't come out that long ago.

They're somewhat appealing to me but they really do look like a slightly bigger Malibu. I think the G8 looked much better.
Old 05-11-14, 09:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Yeah, I saw the place in Miami that's selling them for $7k off MSRP. Pretty crazy. These cars didn't come out that long ago.

They're somewhat appealing to me but they really do look like a slightly bigger Malibu. I think the G8 looked much better.

I think GM made a mistake with the Malibu look.
Yes,the G8 did look so much better.
Another GM stupid thing was coming out with the new GTO they though would sell because of the name.
How'd that make out?
Old 05-11-14, 09:54 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I think GM made a mistake with the Malibu look.
Yes,the G8 did look so much better.
Another GM stupid thing was coming out with the new GTO they though would sell because of the name.
How'd that make out?
GM has teased me too many times. I was intrigued by the GTO when they first announced it and then I saw it. It's the same thing with this SS [which is horribly overpriced] and the ATS. I really want to try to like GM stuff but...
Old 05-11-14, 10:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The price is approaching the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300 SRT8. I think I would splurge the extra bucks for more power and better mpg. Not that I would care about mpg if I were to buy these cars..
Old 05-11-14, 11:05 AM
LexFather

How many useless GM products have we seen like this in the past. Total waste IMO
Just wow

That's not true at all. My CT was borderline crap, but I tone it down as this is a Lexus forum.

GM on the other hand should focus on reliability, affordability, and interior materials. Making a $47k Chevy SS is just stupid. The Corvette is fine but this is just dumb.
No one believes you. You need more people.

Old 05-11-14, 11:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
Just wow

No one believes you. You need more people.
Haha nice one Mike.

With that said, I think this vehicle is great and it's a great addition to the segment............which is needed now that Chrysler has announced that the 300C SRT will be discontinued
Old 05-11-14, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JOEB427

There might be one or two nuts out there.
Well, guys, there seem to be a fair number of so-called "nuts" out there buying Chargers and 300s in the same general price range.

You also have to look at who these cars are generally aimed at...primarily people of my generation, who still fondly remember the big-engined American sedans and coupes from the 1960s. Those people were (and, to an extent, still are) quite strong in their brand-loyalties. If someone liked the Impala SS in the early/mid 60s (along with the Mustang, arguably that decade's most popular car), he or she is likely to still be somewhat pro-GM today..... especially after the recent return to some decent quality after a lot of the junk of the last 40 years. These are the people that (May?) have just been waiting for a new SS, and previously passed on the Charger and 300.
Old 05-12-14, 04:03 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

39 grand seems like a heck of a value imo

GM on the other hand should focus on reliability, affordability, and interior materials. Making a $47k Chevy SS is just stupid. The Corvette is fine but this is just dumb.
Having spent close to an hour inside the SS , I can assure you the interior materials are mostly nice. There is some plastic trim that I was not crazy about but overall the interior is very sexy
Old 05-12-14, 05:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd take a Charger SRT-8 over the Chevy SS any day of the week. Main thing is the Charger is something interesting to look at. The Chevy, man it looks dated and horribly bland. It harkens back to the 1990's IMO, where everything had to be rounded, bubbly, there isn't a good crease or sharp edge on that car.

The way the wheel arches intersect with the top of the fenders, it makes the body look too tall, like its some sort of pickup truck with the wheel gap, even though its running an aggressive 19" wheel, the way the body is designed it makes the wheels look tiny IMO.
Old 05-12-14, 08:53 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just think it's amazing GM can take an interior like this

And turn it into this

The satin trim switched for chrome. The carbon fiber, of which was already minimal, switched out for some bland piano black. The smooth plastic trim switched for some bumpy crap. The smooth leather steering wheel, switched out to a frumpy looking coarse leather. The consistent red lighting theme turn into a red/blue superman abomination.

This car was phenomenal as the HS-V. All GM had to do was put a Chevy badge on it and leave the rest alone.

Quick Reply: Test drove the Chevy SS today