Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

April 2014 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 11:30 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Thank you for that amazing insight and excuses from a green perspective..
You're welcome. Glad I could help clear up your somewhat misleading post.

The IS and ES are COMPLETELY different. The Q50 is the new G37. The IS outsold the Q50 again and this time by over 1,000 units. The Q50 has an aggressive lease program too. Really surprised to see it selling under 3k units.
Ok. And I never said the IS/ES weren't "completely different". Maybe you should re-read my post again and comprehend what I wrote. I said there's nothing wrong with offering two entry level sedans as long as there is enough differences to differentiate between the two - and then I used the IS & ES as an example. Understand? As far as the Q50/G37 is concerned, the Q50 is obviously a step above the G37. Yes, of course it was initially supposed to be its replacement, but there's still people who prefer the looks and sportier nature of the G (clearly) and there's obviously room for both in their lineup. Could they improve on differentiating the two models? Sure. IMO, they should put a turbo 4 in the G and refresh the exterior the same way they are doing with the Q70 so its more in line with their current styling.

But to expand on your other comment, in the month of April:

Infiniti sold 4,151 RWD biased entry levels sedans (Q50 & G37 combined)
Lexus sold 3,790 RWD biased entry levels sedans (IS)

So you can make the argument that the G37 is cannibalizing some Q50 sales (could be), but at the end of the day Infiniti is still selling more entry level RWD biased sedans than Lexus.
Old 05-02-14, 11:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
But really- are you THAT surprised? The G37 has the exact same powertrain as the non-hybrid Q50 and comes with a solid standard equipment list and cheap options. The Q50 sold 2626 units and the G37 netted 1525. It's 80% of the Q50 for cheaper, imo, and its sitting right next to the Q50 in the show room. Infiniti is basically giving potential Q50 customers a reason to be cheap and not feel bad about it.

It's Infiniti's fault and they seem to be strangely OK with it. I think a similar situation would happen even for Lexus is they decided the last-gen IS250 or IS350 could chill in the dealer showroom next to the new model.
i doubt Infiniti is OK with their sales being the way they are... there is simply not much they could do about it right now.
Old 05-02-14, 12:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
You're welcome. Glad I could help clear up your somewhat misleading post.

Ok. And I never said the IS/ES weren't "completely different". Maybe you should re-read my post again and comprehend what I wrote. I said there's nothing wrong with offering two entry level sedans as long as there is enough differences to differentiate between the two - and then I used the IS & ES as an example. Understand? As far as the Q50/G37 is concerned, the Q50 is obviously a step above the G37. Yes, of course it was initially supposed to be its replacement, but there's still people who prefer the looks and sportier nature of the G (clearly) and there's obviously room for both in their lineup. Could they improve on differentiating the two models? Sure. IMO, they should put a turbo 4 in the G and refresh the exterior the same way they are doing with the Q70 so its more in line with their current styling.

But to expand on your other comment, in the month of April:

Infiniti sold 4,151 RWD biased entry levels sedans (Q50 & G37 combined)
Lexus sold 3,790 RWD biased entry levels sedans (IS)

So you can make the argument that the G37 is cannibalizing some Q50 sales (could be), but at the end of the day Infiniti is still selling more entry level RWD biased sedans than Lexus.
I assume you are joking? Are you really trying to sound like some authority here lol.

"Glad you can clear up"
"Comprehend what you wrote"
"Understand"

hahahahahahhahahahahha

Originally Posted by TangoRed
But really- are you THAT surprised? The G37 has the exact same powertrain as the non-hybrid Q50 and comes with a solid standard equipment list and cheap options. The Q50 sold 2626 units and the G37 netted 1525. It's 80% of the Q50 for cheaper, imo, and its sitting right next to the Q50 in the show room. Infiniti is basically giving potential Q50 customers a reason to be cheap and not feel bad about it.

It's Infiniti's fault and they seem to be strangely OK with it. I think a similar situation would happen even for Lexus is they decided the last-gen IS250 or IS350 could chill in the dealer showroom next to the new model.
I talk to many Infiniti dealers, they are not happy at all, the margins are razor thin and its already a very price sensitive customer. Did anyone expect the IS to outsell the Q50 multiple months? I sure didn't, the Q50 is their volume sedan ,the IS is not. Its hard to figure it out exactly without a sales target.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-02-14 at 12:17 PM.

Old 05-02-14, 12:27 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

I assume you are joking?
nope.

Are you really trying to sound like some authority here lol.
On this subject, yes.

(ouch, that hurt)

I talk to many Infiniti dealers, they are not happy at all, the margins are razor thin and its already a very price sensitive customer. Did anyone expect the IS to outsell the Q50 multiple months? I sure didn't, the Q50 is their volume sedan ,the IS is not. Its hard to figure it out exactly without a sales target.
The first part of your post is complete hearsay and I doubt its authenticity. And sales goals are great to track success internally, but means absolutely nothing in the real world. By the way, what were Lexus' sales goals for the HS again?
Old 05-02-14, 12:32 PM
LexFather

nope.

On this subject, yes.

(ouch, that hurt)

The first part of your post is complete hearsay and I doubt its authenticity. And sales goals are great to track success internally, but means absolutely nothing in the real world. By the way, what were Lexus' sales goals for the HS again?
So you act like some some authority, insult my intelligence, you have maybe 80 posts here, 78 about Infinitni and now insult the HS? You want to go that route? We said in the other thread don't go there, its bringing a slingshot to a gun battle.
G20
J30
Q45
QX4
I30
I35
yadda yadda

You cannot be serious at all. I think what you should do are say words like

"thanks"
"you are right"
"I see what you are saying"
"thanks for the insight"

Weird, but this is par the course in the sales thread. Probably a re-joiner.

FYI, the HS had a sales goal of I think 20 or 24k. I never hit it, clearly flopped in America but sells very well in Japan. My family had a loaded one, back in 2010 with features that the 2014 Q50 is just now bragging about It was a complete miss in the states and I guess Lexus is allowed 1 or 2 in 25 years compared to a 25 year miss.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-02-14 at 12:37 PM.

Old 05-02-14, 12:53 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

So you act like some some authority, insult my intelligence,
Not insulting your intelligence, but when you make blanket statements about a 4 year old model and using that as an example to compare to a model that's a year old, I'm going to step in and respond. Because it's an unfair comparison. The RLX is probably the biggest flop Acura has ever put out (outside of the ZDX of course). For you to insinuate that the Q70 (M) is similar because its current sales numbers are similar is a weak attempt at a comparison. In its 2nd year, the Q70 (M) was selling roughly 1100 units/month. The RLX in its 2nd year is selling roughly 350-400 units/month. That's a direct comparison. Nuff said.

you have maybe 80 posts here, 78 about Infinitni and now insult the HS?
I didn't insult the HS, simply making a point that sales goals mean nothing in the real world. Lexus had lofty sales aspirations with the HS. The public responded despite those sales goals and the model was discontinued. That pretty much sums up the importance of sales goals.

You want to go that route? We said in the other thread don't go there, its bringing a slingshot to a gun battle.
G20
J30
Q45
QX4
I30
I35
yadda yadda
The G20 became the G35/G37. The QX4 became the QX56/QX80. The others were discontinued though, yes.

"thanks"
"you are right"
"thanks for the insight"
Hmm, I'll ponder that.
Old 05-02-14, 12:58 PM
LexFather

Not insulting your intelligence, but when you make blanket statements about a 4 year old model and using that as an example to compare to a model that's a year old, I'm going to step in and respond. Because it's an unfair comparison. The RLX is probably the biggest flop Acura has ever put out (outside of the ZDX of course). For you to insinuate that the Q70 (M) is similar because its current sales numbers are similar is a weak attempt at a comparison. In its 2nd year, the Q70 (M) was selling roughly 1100 units/month. The RLX in its 2nd year is selling roughly 350-400 units/month. That's a direct comparison. Nuff said.

I didn't insult the HS, simply making a point that sales goals mean nothing in the real world. Lexus had lofty sales aspirations with the HS. The public responded despite those sales goals and the model was discontinued. That pretty much sums up the importance of sales goals.

The G20 became the G35/G37. The QX4 became the QX56/QX80. The others were discontinued though, yes.

Hmm, I'll ponder that.
"you are going to step in and respond"

Have a great weekend greenie... I know I will

Old 05-02-14, 01:02 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Truthfully I didn't expect the IS to top the Q50...until the reviews about the Q50's steering broke. Then I was like whelp there ya go. Not to mention Lexus really nailed the execution of the IS. As you said, that's especially good considering Lexus wasn't clamoring for the IS to carry the volume crown.

I actually wouldn't doubt that part of his post at all. LexFather was even driving a Q50 for a while right when it launched for a while, if I recall correctly.
Old 05-02-14, 01:04 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Seeing the letters RLX and ZDX in the same thread makes me weep for the old Legend and Integra days. Otherwise known as the days that Acura had a pulse
Old 05-02-14, 04:17 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Guys,

Why does anything related to Infiniti have to devolve into such depressing "discussion". It happens every time.
Old 05-02-14, 05:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Guys,

Why does anything related to Infiniti have to devolve into such depressing "discussion". It happens every time.
Because the ES talk needed a break
Old 05-02-14, 07:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Thank you for that amazing insight and excuses from a green perspective..
I assume you are joking? Are you really trying to sound like some authority here lol. .......hahahahahahhahahahahha
So you act like some some authority, insult my intelligence, you have maybe 80 posts here, 78 about Infinitni and now insult the HS? You want to go that route? We said in the other thread don't go there, its bringing a slingshot to a gun battle.

"thanks"
"you are right"
"thanks for the insight"

Weird, but this is par the course in the sales thread. Probably a re-joiner.
LexFather, please exit this thread. The antagonistic and rude comments need to stop.... you can disagree with other members (regardless if they have 50 or 50,0000 posts) without the constant insults and accusations.
Old 05-07-14, 07:11 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Tesla

Tesla Motors' high-flying shares are down more than 20% from their record high earlier this year.

The likely reason: Tesla's U.S. sales are cooling off.

The electric automaker is set to report first quarter results after the bell on Wednesday. While Tesla has said that it expects to post a 55% jump in sales worldwide, all of that growth appears to be coming from overseas markets.

Sales of the Model S have been rising steadily since its debut in 2012, as Tesla ramped up production. Demand for the car has consistently outstripped supply, despite a price tag starting at $69,000. The manufacturer sold 22,477 cars in 2013, up from just 3,100 the year before, and analysts believe almost 90% of those sales were in the United States.

Tesla forecast that it would sell 35,000 of the Model S worldwide in 2014, but sales tracker Autodata estimates that U.S. sales in the first quarter rose less than 1%.

The automaker is currently ramping up sales in Europe and is getting ready to to roll out in China this spring.

Investors are increasingly concerned about a decline in 2014 North American deliveries, according to Adam Jonas, auto analyst with Morgan Stanley.

Jonas said he believes that Tesla probably will post a decline in U.S. sales, but that he's not concerned. Strong demand from U.S. early adopters who were eager to buy the car last year will be difficult to match, he said.

"Will the headlines matter for how the stock trades? Very possibly," he said. "Are we fundamentally concerned? No."

Wedbush Securities analyst Craig Irwin is also more interested in news about sales in Europe and the rollout in China than he is with North American sales.

"The Chinese love technology as much as we do," he said. "It's the largest luxury vehicle market in the world, and it's no secret that is where some of the premium European brands make all their money. So how Tesla sales are taking shape in China is a very important."
Old 05-07-14, 09:31 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

GS,

Thanks for the current Tesla info.

Here is my 5 to 7 year guess for them.

First, let's look back. The roadster was an impractical car that created exposure and let the earliest adopters touch the product.

The model S has served to be a real proof of concept with a broader high income early adopter population.

The model X will expand the customer base by hitting the SUV and minivan folks (still upmarket and there really is no upmarket minivan).

The 3 series size car will go the the corporate managers who loved the model S the VP has but can't afford that.

The wild card will be the pick up truck and it should be fun to watch Tesla battle in that huge volume arena.

I also can see them doing more with the model S (I believed they already mentioned AWD is coming).

And then they can get back to sports cars and hopefully create the next great American sports car.
Old 05-07-14, 09:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
GS,

Thanks for the current Tesla info.

Here is my 5 to 7 year guess for them.

First, let's look back. The roadster was an impractical car that created exposure and let the earliest adopters touch the product.

The model S has served to be a real proof of concept with a broader high income early adopter population.

The model X will expand the customer base by hitting the SUV and minivan folks (still upmarket and there really is no upmarket minivan).

The 3 series size car will go the the corporate managers who loved the model S the VP has but can't afford that.

The wild card will be the pick up truck and it should be fun to watch Tesla battle in that huge volume arena.

I also can see them doing more with the model S (I believed they already mentioned AWD is coming).

And then they can get back to sports cars and hopefully create the next great American sports car.
In a 60 Minutes segment, the Tesla founder said he is planning to make a mid $30k Tesla model soon.

Quick Reply: April 2014 Sales Thread