Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The new twin scroll 2.0 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 06:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
According to C&D its the 2006 V-8 is .04 seconds faster so that would be 0-60 in 8 seconds, still much slower than the new Highlander.
thanks for looking up reviews on my vehicle. this review says 7.5, but whatever. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2010-Fo...verview-c21801

also, tests you referenced are for 4x4 versions which will be several hundred pounds heavier than my 4x2. and even though mine is lighter than 4x4, it's still 400lbs heavier than a highlander. that would explain the few tenths difference in 0-60.

So while your 2006 V-8 Explorer might "feel" faster, the Highlander is a far faster vehicle. The Highlander just won't feel at torquey or smooth being a V-6 vs a V-8.
i wouldn't say 'far' faster, but yeah, that's about right. as i've said, the '14 highlander is a fine vehicle, i like it very much. if i got one it would just be an adjustment from the nice low end torque of my v8.

but of course all this has nothing to do with lexus' new 2.0T so moving on...
Old 04-25-14, 07:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I think we have to get something clear. A 2.0L NA engine will always achieve better MPG than a 2.0T, assuming all variances are similar such as gearing, weight etc.

But the incentive is that your getting much more performance for a 10-20% MPG reduction.
of course, i would pick turbo 4cly over any 4cly any time of the day, and i would pay extra for it.

I would not even imagine of even thinking about getting NX 2.0 NA because I drove Rav4 with 2.0 AR engine and it was dog slow. However, at the same time, there is no possibility that NX 2.0 CVT will spend more fuel than 2.0t, as long as they pack all the same tech. If they leave out D4-S, VVT-iE/Atkinson, Start/Stop, and other enhancement then it is different story.
Old 04-28-14, 04:20 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I think we have to get something clear. A 2.0L NA engine will always achieve better MPG than a 2.0T, assuming all variances are similar such as gearing, weight etc.

But the incentive is that your getting much more performance for a 10-20% MPG reduction.
Why do you assume that a 2.0 FI will get more performance? As I illustrated above, you can tune it for more actual mileage if you desire, but then it would end up costing more than the 2.0L NA.
Old 04-28-14, 05:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

i cant wait to see how the engine performs in real life....

I also hope that these upgrades that they announced for 14 engine's in 2015 come to every engine and not just some... for instance like they kept Valvematic out of US until 2013 and then only put it in the Eco Corolla. People are reporting great mpg with that vehicle.

2015 engines get a lot more upgrades than that, so lets hope they apply it to every vehicle... for instance in Japan, Yaris got this 1.33 engine with these upgrades across the lineup - before there was special package if you wanted fuel efficient. 2014 model, every 1.33 gets full package.

Lets hope thats applied across the board. As a car enthusiast, I would prefer them to spend extra $500 and give us D4-S, VVT-iE/Atkinson, Smart Stop and other advances in 2.5l Camry and V6 Highlander, not just Lexus vehicles like.

Next gen 2GR might become really nice in RX as well, no reason why it cant have all these fuel saving things plus 40hp more. Although 2.0t will also be in RX worldwide, so it will be interesting to see what gets offered in NA.
Old 04-28-14, 06:36 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i cant wait to see how the engine performs in real life....

I also hope that these upgrades that they announced for 14 engine's in 2015 come to every engine and not just some... for instance like they kept Valvematic out of US until 2013 and then only put it in the Eco Corolla. People are reporting great mpg with that vehicle.

2015 engines get a lot more upgrades than that, so lets hope they apply it to every vehicle... for instance in Japan, Yaris got this 1.33 engine with these upgrades across the lineup - before there was special package if you wanted fuel efficient. 2014 model, every 1.33 gets full package.

Lets hope thats applied across the board. As a car enthusiast, I would prefer them to spend extra $500 and give us D4-S, VVT-iE/Atkinson, Smart Stop and other advances in 2.5l Camry and V6 Highlander, not just Lexus vehicles like.

Next gen 2GR might become really nice in RX as well, no reason why it cant have all these fuel saving things plus 40hp more. Although 2.0t will also be in RX worldwide, so it will be interesting to see what gets offered in NA.
I too would not mind paying $500 to $1000 for higher-tech engine technologies across the board. But I suspect that we will have to count ourselves here in North America lucky to see it only on the special, highest-trim "Eco" models, and then have to pay a healthy premium (>$1000) for it. But still, if Toyota offers a limited edition, higher-priced Eco model, I would probably get the Eco rather than the Hybrid.

Unfortunately, North Americans are very price sensitive and do not like to pay premiums on mass-market cars. Of course, there are a few who are willing to pay premiums, which explains the high-priced Ford Titanium trim, and, I suspect, a Toyota XLE Eco model, but most do not want to pay the higher price.