Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should/Will Lexus compete in the ultra luxury sedan segment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 04:25 AM
Wallie3145
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Lexus to play in that field, it's products cannot be affordable. That means no CT, IS, ES, GS or whatever Lexus sells today.
Old 04-16-14, 05:02 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus ZS600t

Just throwing that out there Lexus, feel free to build it..
If they build it, I might come...in 2017/2018!

Originally Posted by Wallie3145
For Lexus to play in that field, it's products cannot be affordable. That means no CT, IS, ES, GS or whatever Lexus sells today.
I respectfully disagree as that is their bread and butter. The potential product referenced by the OP is not affordable...to the masses. Plenty of room for brand expansion. I am all for Lexus testing these waters, whether it is in my price range or not.
Old 04-16-14, 09:15 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
I agree with this. I think Lexus needs to offer more variants of the LS first before entering into any ultra luxury sedan territory. The S Class is more expensive and is currently killing the LS in sales. You couldn't say that 10 years ago. So something has slipped with the LS as it is still the more affordable full size luxury sedan. I can only guess offering variants more expensive and less expensive than the current LS460 (including even an LS350) will help boost sales.
IP Check please....

The LS only had one variant with the LS 430. Now it has
SWB
LWB
AWD
F-sport
Hybrid

And even more variants overseas. The car is older, the S-class is new, of course it won't sell as well.

SMH

Old 04-16-14, 09:26 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
IP Check please....

The LS only had one variant with the LS 430. Now it has
SWB
LWB
AWD
F-sport
Hybrid

And even more variants overseas. The car is older, the S-class is new, of course it won't sell as well.

SMH
The S Class was still outselling the LS before the redesign.
The LS hasn't outsold the S Class in years. Where have you been?

The LS needs more variants in the United States (such as an LS350) if it wants to bring the kind of numbers it used to bring 10 years ago against the S Class and others (in my opinion of course).
Old 04-16-14, 09:36 AM
LexFather

The S Class was still outselling the LS before the redesign.
The LS hasn't outsold the S Class in years. Where have you been?

The LS needs more variants in the United States (such as an LS350) if it wants to bring the kind of numbers it used to bring 10 years ago against the S Class and others (in my opinion of course).
That is not true. The LS /7 and S-class all traded sales leads some months the past few years. It has not been the S-class outselling them all. I would know as I track this data, talk the manufactur's and clearly know a ton of dealerships and owners.

That is where I've been.

I have some preliminary info on the next generation and its going to be mind blowing. For now the refresh works which I clearly like lol. The current S-class is utterly amazing.

Old 04-16-14, 10:10 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I don't know about most of you guys but I feel there isn't enough competition in the ultra-luxury sedan class. There is the Rolls Royce, Bentley and thats about it. Maybach is now gone and soon to be replaced by a buffed up version of the S class. Should Lexus pursue this next level of luxury?

In my opinion, Lexus is all about being better and more refined but we are not seeing the pinnacle of luxury from them, which we should. They need to showcase their best work (the LFA of ultra premium luxury sedans) and I think they would do a brilliant job.

Lexus has been able to sell a 120k Hybrid and a 400k supercar, can they build and sell a special sedan in the range of 200-300k?

Thoughts?
Do you think if Rolls Royce made a $15,000-35,000 car, it would work?
Old 04-16-14, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

I would consider the LS600H, at some 120K, at least a borderline ultra-luxury sedan The LS460, which starts at some 38K less than the 600, is clearly in the luxury category.

I would also consider the Mercedes S600, with the V12, to be an ultra-luxury model. But Mercedes, for some reason, doesn't seem to be offering it in the U.S. market right now.
Old 04-16-14, 10:23 AM
LexFather

What's crazy is loaded it's 132k here! For a Lexus LS lol...

Old 04-16-14, 10:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallie3145
I can't agree with that line of thinking. Whether or not Lexus sells vehicles in the 30-40K category like the CT/IS/ES has little or nothing to do with the fact that they offer at least a borderline ultra-luxury model in the LS600H. Someone interested in a 600H (especially a chauffeur-driving one) is not going to looking at something for 40K.....they could care less.
Old 04-16-14, 10:34 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with this. I think Lexus needs to offer more variants of the LS first before entering into any ultra luxury sedan territory. The S Class is more expensive and is currently killing the LS in sales. You couldn't say that 10 years ago. So something has slipped with the LS as it is still the more affordable full size luxury sedan. I can only guess offering variants more expensive and less expensive than the current LS460 (including even an LS350) will help boost sales.
I don't know about using the word "killing", Mercedes sold only 2,576 more units of S-Class last year VS LS. 2014 maybe a different story though.