Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-14, 11:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Apples always been about color. Remember those Macintosh computers

actually older was better IMO....

Old 03-04-14, 01:07 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
great integration but could they please get some professional looking icons
Agreed. The icons do not match the car and they shouldn't just mimic the iOS icons.
Old 03-04-14, 01:13 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elusive
Agreed. The icons do not match the car and they shouldn't just mimic the iOS icons.
The iOS icons work great on phones, tablets, and ipods because they are small on the screen in those applications. But they don't looks as good when shown larger such as on the Ferrari screen.
Old 03-04-14, 03:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
actually older was better IMO....

that's a cool pic. 6 was my favorite.
Old 03-05-14, 08:53 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default Carplay on current Lexus models using apps?

I have a 2014 GS350 on special order. I was wondering if Carplay might available at some point on my new car since Lexus has the ability to add apps. Perhaps they would add Carplay as an app.

Any guesses whether this might be feasible and/or might happen?
Old 03-05-14, 09:35 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I doubt it. This looks much bigger than an app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-05-14, 09:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

IM SOLD !!!! I want this!!!
Old 03-05-14, 10:32 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

From the Geneva Motor Show 2014, Apple's Ed Langstroth demonstrates the Apple CarPlay in the Volvo Concept Estate.

Starting with the upcoming all-new XC90, Apple CarPlay will seamlessly integrate your iOS device with future Volvo models, allowing you to intuitively access both Apple and third-party applications -- all with full Siri voice control.
The Ferrari FF has debuted at the Geneva International Motor Show equipped with CarPlay, the simplest, safest way of using your iPhone in the car. Ferrari chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo had this to say of the Prancing Horse's partnership with the Cupertino company.
There is a new addition to Mercedes-Benz and it's here at the Geneva Auto Show where Mercedes not only presented the new S-Class Coupe; but also a new Service Brand called; "Mercedes Me".

Exclusive, simple and most of all convenient; "Mercedes Me" enables full access to all services surrounding mobility.

"Mercedes Me" bundles a wide range of services and offers them tailored to the user's needs; whether or not they own a car. An individual Mercedes ID is the key to unlock all the different features the online service world has to offer.

For example, under the category, "Mercedes Move Me"; mobility solutions like car to go, the most successful car sharing program in the world are offered. "Mercedes Connect Me" is the direct link to the vehicle and can show for example whether the parked vehicle is locked. You can also set the desired interior temperature in the car from your tablet or smart phone.

The services within "Mercedes Me" will also be available through Smart Watches and Google Glasses in the future. Apple's CarPlay is the complete integration of iPhone applications into Mercedes-Benz vehicles. The integration of Android based phones will be following soon, Mercedes Benz announced in Geneva.
Old 03-05-14, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes quickly adopting CarPlay
Old 03-05-14, 01:39 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
I have a 2014 GS350 on special order. I was wondering if Carplay might available at some point on my new car since Lexus has the ability to add apps. Perhaps they would add Carplay as an app.

Any guesses whether this might be feasible and/or might happen?
Highly doubt it. Toyota/Lexus is not confirming any CarPlay activities. I know they're slowly rolling out the Siri Eyes Free (should be on your 2014 GS).
Old 03-05-14, 03:53 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by elusive
Its all about familiarity and cohesiveness. The one thing most people hate about a new car is to learn the new system, buttons, features, and ESPECIALLY the infotainment system.

Most mainstream consumers will appreciate this, you have to see it from a MASS MARKET perspective, there is a reason Volvo, Mercedes, Ferrari, ETC... are adopting the carplay system. All of the auto manufacturers combined spends tens of millions of dollars on market research and focus groups, they know what they are doing and why they are doing it.
Old 03-05-14, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Highly doubt it. Toyota/Lexus is not confirming any CarPlay activities. I know they're slowly rolling out the Siri Eyes Free (should be on your 2014 GS).
This is continuation of Siri Eyes Free, and will likely be on next gen updates of Lexus vehicles as well... Toyota is listed as official partner and it has been just announced, it is not going to go on sale tomorrow.

Of course, you will have to buy new car for it as it requires new hardware.
Old 03-05-14, 05:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
This is continuation of Siri Eyes Free, and will likely be on next gen updates of Lexus vehicles as well... Toyota is listed as official partner and it has been just announced, it is not going to go on sale tomorrow.

Of course, you will have to buy new car for it as it requires new hardware.
Yeah we'll see it in the Future. I'm just happy Toyota signed up. Now would I like it on the 2015 GS yes. If I knew it wasn't going to be on the GS until 2016.. well I might actually be tempted to wait even longer
Old 03-06-14, 09:08 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like Ferrari, Volvo, MB did not read this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...gy-imo-11.html

Point is that touch screen dictates placement of drivers seat, typically up close to the steering wheel, and then look down to read the navigation. Ouch!!!!
Old 03-06-14, 11:08 AM
f4mula1
Driver School Candidate

Now we will have to upgrade our cars every 6 months.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay