Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do we still have in-car GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 11:58 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think it is about time to just make NAV standard in luxury cars instead of still charging a extra $1500 or more or making them part of even more expensive bundling of options. I am not a huge fan of in car NAV, they become pretty obsolete graphic wise pretty quick and not many are that good plus their integration into the car can be sloppy..

You can get a good portable Navigation unit for $300 or $400 with a bigger screen then most cell/smart phones that can be put in any car and you don't lose it when you sell the car.
Old 02-24-14, 12:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

to the original question, it's all about money. for car mfr's to charge more for a nav system than a high powered laptop or top of the line tablet is ABSURD.

i WANT a loaded vehicle without nav, but you typically can't get one.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I didn't say they weren't widespread (obviously, they are). What I said was that they are not as widespread as some people think. 74% usage means that over a quarter of the population fels otherwise. Many older people, for instance, don't want to have one for the simple reason that they fear what will happen if they lose or misplace it.
they're either cheap, poor, or not interested in navigation assistance at all anyway, so don't want smart phone or in-car nav.

i've enjoyed in car nav for 14 years, but i use my phone in car more than my nav system these days. why? because my smart phone with google now has already seen my appointment and prompts me asking if i want direction guidance to that appointment. it's awesome. cars will get there, but they're always one step behind it seems. toyota is on the right track with making the in car screen just an i/o device to the phone.

Also, the use of cell-phones behind the wheel is being increasingly regulated in more and more states,
to use phone nav, you don't have to use it while driving. you can initiate before you start, or talk to the phone hands free or via blue tooth anyway. the laws are, as is often the case, already behind the curve.

Originally Posted by UDel
I think it is about time to just make NAV standard in luxury cars instead of still charging a extra $1500 or more or making them part of even more expensive bundling of options. I am not a huge fan of in car NAV, they become pretty obsolete graphic wise pretty quick and not many are that good plus their integration into the car can be sloppy..
agree with this, but likely not happening. navigation is a part of high end 'infotainment' systems. phone/car integration is likely to improve, so even if the car has a map 'base' in it, it might use the phone to get restaurant reviews, or other info.

smart phones will always have more processing power than what's in the car, as the development cycles are so much shorter.

You can get a good portable Navigation unit for $300 or $400 with a bigger screen then most cell/smart phones that can be put in any car and you don't lose it when you sell the car.
yikes, aftermarket portable nav units are deader than cassette decks except for OLD people i see still clinging to their tiny tomtoms or gamins
Old 02-24-14, 01:25 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, will the next Nav movement turn to integrating iPads or such into the dash?

Works great for Navigation, and also for Music. But no manufacturer has stepped up to the idea directly. It's always been an indirect idea by tablet producers themselves, but not automobile manufacturers.
Old 02-24-14, 02:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, will the next Nav movement turn to integrating iPads or such into the dash?
i don't see it because tablets come in so many shapes and sizes. while the ipad is popular, android tablets and even windows tablets are gaining some ground. and whose to say apple won't have more screen formats/sizes soon. car makers can't make a one size fits all unless it's a flat space and they just provide velcro.
Old 02-24-14, 02:40 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly my question. I hate the car navigation, my Iphone does it better, and easier to use. But dealers always option in teh Navigation and the Price Jump a few G....absolutely hate, hate it
Old 02-24-14, 03:03 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They do it for several reasons

1. Make money on package deals
2. Stop people from using their cellphone while driving. newer Nav units offer bluetooth, text messages, even facebook (which imo is a bit much)
3. Its actually same price, if not cheaper and space saving when you buy all this stuff individually to have in your car. (as a CAR unit, not a cellphone unit)
4. Ability to integrate more features into the car
5. TO MAKE MORE MONEY ON PACKAGE DEALS!
Old 02-24-14, 04:03 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't mind built-in gps.

What bugs me is the damn price !
With tens of millions of gps units, price is supposed to go down.
Old 02-24-14, 04:17 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure about your state, but in NY you can get a pretty big fine for using a phone while you're driving. Plus, the batteries on all the current phones are weak. Your phone can also overheat and shut off if you use it for too long. I'd rather stick with in car GPS for now.
Old 02-24-14, 05:55 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I dislike the premium price for OEM NAV, but I like the integration.
Old 02-24-14, 07:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Not sure about your state, but in NY you can get a pretty big fine for using a phone while you're driving.
using the phone? i thought it was specific things like talking or texting. you can't even LOOK at your phone or press any button?

Plus, the batteries on all the current phones are weak.
uh, power cord?

Your phone can also overheat and shut off if you use it for too long.
maybe 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
They do it for several reasons
1. Make money on package deals
... whaaa waa wha whaaa wa...
5. TO MAKE MORE MONEY ON PACKAGE DEALS!
yup!
Old 02-24-14, 08:10 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
using the phone? i thought it was specific things like talking or texting. you can't even LOOK at your phone or press any button?
How would a cop tell the difference between you looking at your phone and pressing a button and texting?! Looking at your phone(reading, scrolling,typing an address, looking) is as dangerous as texting IMO
Old 02-25-14, 03:03 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Um my 1992 model year car has navigation, along with such other state of the art things as a trunk mounted 12 disc CD changer and a tape player that allows me to play my mp3's.

Owning a smart phone with navigation, along with that tape adapter to play my mp3's is a much more logical(and cheaper) solution to buying a new car that does all that crap on a screen integrated into the dash. Granted it isn't quite as user friendly, but then again I don't have a car payment, so I'll manage.
Old 02-25-14, 05:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by keyframe13
How would a cop tell the difference between you looking at your phone and pressing a button and texting?! Looking at your phone(reading, scrolling,typing an address, looking) is as dangerous as texting IMO
LOL - better not look at that dangerous speedometer, nav screen, or heaven forbid, the audio system trying to find the right playlist. and those rear view and side mirrors, my god, it means you're not looking forward - lethal.
Old 02-25-14, 06:05 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LOL - better not look at that dangerous speedometer, nav screen, or heaven forbid, the audio system trying to find the right playlist. and those rear view and side mirrors, my god, it means you're not looking forward - lethal.
We weretalking about cell phones, what are you talking about
Old 02-25-14, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by keyframe13
We weretalking about cell phones, what are you talking about
i contend cell phones are no more dangerous than lots of other distractions in a vehicle, including passengers and scenery.

should someone have their head down looking at a phone while typing an oh so important text while driving? hell no. but they shouldn't be intently fiddling with their audio system either.

Quick Reply: Why do we still have in-car GPS?