Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Kia K900

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 02:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default First Drive: 2015 Kia K900

2015 Kia K900

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...photo-2177277/

Let's be honest, Rich America. When you drive your fullsize luxury sedans, you don't clock any laps of the Nürburgring. You don't view your car as an alternative to air travel, ready to wheel between countries at triple-digit Autobahn speeds. Heck, you don't even take the long way home. Instead, you commute in fender-to-fender gridlock looking to be assuaged by sybaritic luxuries, your ride serving as a four-wheeled extension of your living room. Yet when it comes time to vote with your pocketbooks, you overwhelmingly skew toward European driving values – German ones, more specifically. You favor the firm rides, firmer seats and quick steering of cars like the BMW 7 Series and Audi A8. What gives? That's what Kia is clandestinely asking with its new 2015 K900.

According to Kia PR director Scott McKee, this 200.6-inch bruiser of a sedan is all about "at-ease luxury." That's a notion that was once very much synonymous with American automakers' approach to big high-end sedans – effortless comfort above all other considerations. Sprawling room in every direction. Fine materials no matter where the hand falls. The automobile as an isolative cocoon. Once upon a time, Cadillac and Lincoln owned the Comfort First game, but these days, there's almost nobody playing – the Lexus LS and Hyundai Equus are the only cars in this end of the market, everyone else is busy aping German values.

Kia planners could claim that the K900 has been intentionally targeted at a different sort of customer – and indeed, during the press conference ahead of our first drive in Santa Barbara, there was some discussion of "a different kind of luxury" and seeking "confident individualist" buyers. But the truth is, the Korean premium car shoppers that this car was primarily designed for crave exactly the sort of plush luxury experience the K900 dispenses. In other words, Kia is hoping that there are a few thousand like-minded Americans willing to overlook the badge on its nose and give this car a chance.

And give it a chance they should. The K900 has a lot to offer, and it does so at a steep discount to its ostensible rivals. To wit, V8 models start at $60,400 delivered. Our all-boxes-checked K900 V8 tester with optional VIP package rang up at $66,400 with freight. That's a lot of money, but it's positively skinflint by European luxury car standards. A Mercedes-Benz S-Class starts at $93,825, a BMW 7 Series warms up at $74,925, a Jaguar XJ commands $74,200. Heck, even the Lexus LS 460 starts at $73,050, and none of these base models are anywhere near as well equipped as the K900.

But starting by comparing MSRPs is a rational exercise in what is, at its heart, an irrational end of the market. Better to start with what attracts one's interest in the first place – looks. Aesthetically, the K900 checks a lot of boxes, with an imposing stance and a piercing stare thanks to its standard LED active headlamps. Even Kia's signature 'tabbed' grille looks good in this scale. But the details are less convincing, namely a couple of superfluous nods to traditional American luxury touchstones – a pair of unnecessary faux fender vents and mandatory chrome on its 19-inch alloys. Thanks to its slabbish sides and high beltline, the K900 sits somewhat heavily upon those wheels, too. Overall, though, it exhibits a far more modern shape than the baroquely styled Hyundai Equus, a car with which this Kia shares a number of unseen parts. In fact, the K900 appears sufficiently luxurious that we were interrupted on a couple of occasions during our photography session by passersby who wanted to know what it was, including one admirer in a new 5 Series.

One trait that luxury customers like regardless of their driving style is an abundance of power underfoot, and the K900 delivers thanks to its direct-injected 5.0-liter V8's 420 horsepower and 376-pound-feet of torque. That power is routed exclusively to the rear wheels via a silky-smooth version of ZF's ubiquitous eight-speed automatic transmission *– no all-wheel drive system is offered. We've had previous exposure to this Tau V8 in the Equus, and it's a pleasingly well-behaved, burr-free device from idle to redline. In K900 guise, it's been tuned more for the effortless accumulation of speed than it has been for a particularly charismatic soundtrack, but that suits the relaxed character of the car just fine.

What also suits the relaxed character of this car is its cabin. An expansive dashboard with head-up display and what appears to be several cows' worth covering the seats, instrument panel and trim initially greet the driver. In the case of our V8 tester, the leather is of a higher-grade Nappa variety, and even darker-toned cabins are bathed in light thanks to the standard panoramic moonroof. It all feels appropriately posh, from the large 12.3-inch TFT display masquerading as a configurable gauge cluster to a by-wire gear selector whose operation will feel familiar to anyone who has driven a modern BMW. Topping the list are the K900's rear-seat accommodations, which on our VIP-spec car included individual AC zones as well as heated, cooled and power-articulated reclining seats. Even the doors close with a thoughtful power-assisted soft action. Plutocratic extras like a rear-seat refrigerator, fold-down wooden tray tables and rear-seat entertainment screens are all conspicuously unavailable, however.

Yet even without such high-grade options-list tinsel, there are a couple of small but notable missteps that betray the idea of total luxury. Mainly, it's the absence of a heady aroma of leather inside as well as the distractingly cheap-feeling all-in-one infotainment controller mounted just south of the gear selector. In a car of this ambition, a major touchpoint like the latter must operate with well-oiled precision and feel substantial to the touch – this one doesn't. At least the plastic **** is otherwise intuitive in operation, affording easy access to the 9.2-inch center display screen's navigation, audio, climate control, Surround View Monitor cameras and related functions. We've lauded Kia's navigation systems and UVO e-services before and our impression is still favorable here, but we do wish Kia had retained the touchscreen functionality available in lesser models not fitted with the multi-controller.

On the move, the K900 calms its occupants with the Tau's steady hand of power and a supremely hushed comportment that smothers road imperfections and wind and road noise with equal faculty. Its stiff chassis, copious amounts of sound deadening and laminated glass all conspire to blot out what's happening below the tires and ahead of the windshield like few other luxury sedans at any price. It's a serene experience unencumbered by occasional stiff-legged moments that can mar cars like the BMW 7 Series and its run-flat tires, yet its front and rear multi-link suspension isn't so spongy that undulating and gently winding roads will cause occupants to unexpectedly revisit their ceviche.

That's not to say that the K900 is particularly athletic – compared to the Germans and the English, it doesn't have a sporting bone in its steel-chassis'd, 4,555-pound body. Oh, Kia engineers have paid the whole 'sport' thing a bit of lip service – prod the "Drive Mode" button below the electronic parking brake a few times to get past Eco mode and into Sport, and the K900 will respond with modestly more aggressive shift mapping and a bit more effort from its electro-hydraulic steering rack, but it's not a convincing transformation.

In the latter mode, the gauge cluster also changes its appearance, losing its analog speedometer in favor of a mph speed readout. That's fine, but the traditionally needled round tachometer has also been inexplicably replaced by a numerical rev counter that reads in 10-rpm increments. Do you really need to know that the engine is humming at precisely 4,670 rpm? With so many numbers to cycle through, the RPM telltale is constantly changing, and it's too busy to be useful when driving hard. It's a novel bit of graphics work, but it's also a step backwards in terms of utility. And as there are no paddle shifters available, if you want to work the gearbox yourself, you'll have to take your hand off the wheel and use the manual gate on the console shifter.

We dutifully pushed the K900 on winding roads for brief stretches over a couple days' driving, but each time, we quickly dialed things back before the Hankook Optimo all-season rubber protested too much. It was simply easier and more pleasant to revert to the golf-shirt-and-khakis driving style this car favors. That might sound like a slam, but it's not meant to be – unruffled travel in the lap of luxury is its own reward, and the K900 comes across as an excellent road trip car.

Regardless of how it all shakes out, Kia is smart enough not to bet the franchise on the K900 – officials won't talk firm sales targets, but it's clear the company only expects to move perhaps three to five-thousand units a year. That's a reasonable goal, especially when the entry-level 3.5-liter V6 model comes on line shortly after the V8 goes on sale. MSRP for the latter hasn't been announced, but it's likely to be around $50,000. For those keeping track, that's the price of an options-free 528i – and remember, base BMWs are hopelessly threadbare in terms of standard equipment, a cold reality compounded by their shockingly expensive options lists.

Our Southern California saunter confirmed our initial suspicions about this Kia: on the spec sheet, the K900 may stack up competitively against the legions of S-Class and 7 Series models of this world, but we don't really see it as a threat to Europe's luxury hegemony. Instead, it's aimed squarely at would-be Lexus buyers and those customers who might otherwise be shopping a rung or two down the lux ladder. There's nothing wrong with that approach at all, but with a little more attention and money lavished on the cabin, the K900 could, in fact, be a better all-around luxury car for the way Rich America actually drives, full stop. Of course, that still doesn't mean Kia would sell 'em in big numbers; minivans may provide better real-world transportation than crossovers for most families, but that doesn't mean their sales will ever reflect it. Consumers just aren't that analytical and pragmatic, especially in this end of the market.

On some level, the K900 is nothing less than Kia attempting to climb Olympus at the tender age of 20. The Korean automaker is but two decades removed from shipping us its first boatload of frankly lousy Sephia econoboxes, and it's taking on the European and Japanese luxury gods with a sedan that's decidedly different in character from what sells here these days. It's a move likely to be seen as both brave and hubris-filled, but it would be a serious mistake to dismiss the K900 (and its Equus relative) as some sort of off-brand dog and pony show. If you're not a badge snob and can see embracing the "at-ease" lifestyle, there's real substance, value and luxury available at the unlikeliest of showrooms.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/29/2...w-first-drive/
Old 01-29-14, 02:33 PM
Hoovey689

Engine: 5.0L V8
Power: 420 HP / 376 LB-FT
Transmission: 8-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 5.5 Seconds (est.)
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 4,555 LBS
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 15.9 CU-FT
MPG: 15 City / 23 HWY
Base Price: $59,500
As-Tested Price: $66,400
Decent power on par with most 5.0L V8's. 8-Speed . 0-60 is a bit of a let down but when you factor in the weight it's understandable. Poor mileage, competitors V8's are getting at least 3+ mpg's across the board. Cheaper than the GSh I'm looking at lol
Old 01-29-14, 03:01 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the accompanying Big-Game Ad.

Old 01-29-14, 03:14 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've never been more disappointed by peter schreyer led kia than this mess. it just looks faux, 'i just wanna be in the game' crap. and i've seen this in person. just looks like big boredom. fake fenders. lol

it's frustrating on how this mediocre product can get a green light. they can do better than this. i get that they are playing safe. but come on man. i really want to know how many confident individualist will drop 60k+ on a kia. i really don't.
Old 01-29-14, 03:18 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whoster

but of course the commercial is brilliant. david and goliath really know how to shake it up. kia soul campaign is the best ran campaign in years.

well i guess i can see this sell 3000 units after giving away huge discounts. still very disappointed by this medicore effort.
Old 01-29-14, 03:21 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks quite nice..........although I wish it had nicer wheels (like 5-spoke or 10-spoke rims)
Old 01-29-14, 03:26 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Is the K900 a direct competitor of the Genesis or is it in a class above?
Old 01-29-14, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by yardie876
I believe it's slightly a class above. K900 is roughly 5" longer than the Genesis (195") at 200" and the Equus is some 203". So in the middle of it's Hyundai cousins
Old 01-29-14, 03:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
K900 is best view as an Equus light, it is a decontent 90% Equus, about the same size. It is definitely above the Genesis.
Old 01-29-14, 06:21 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

The side profile looks almost like the Acura RLX

The interior quality doesn't seem anywhere near the LS. In fact the interior looks like all the other Kia's. Black piano plastic? Too much black.

And it's not cheap at all. Should be 50k for the loaded one
Old 01-29-14, 06:28 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The dash looks just like the Genesis. Not a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing either. I wonder what features (besides the size) justify the price of entry over the Gen? I hope fit and finish are upgraded for the price.
Old 01-29-14, 08:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Still don't like the name. K900, first thing I think of is a Kenworth, with the w900 truck(its the big, boxy, top of the line truck with too much chrome).

And I'm not a total snob here, but honestly I could never chunk out $60k plus for a Kia. People will laugh in your face when they ask you how much your new Kia cost. I don't think there is a market for this car, it seems especially redundant with the Equus(in which the interior/dash layout looks way nicer IMO)
Old 01-29-14, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I spent a lot of time looking at this car at the car show (we couldnt sit in it). I don't get it. Unlike the Equus, which looks like a big premium car...this car just looks like an Optima/Cadenza mix to me. I went to the show two separate times with two different groups, a group of friends from the office who are luxury car owners and luxury minded, and my cousins who aren't. Both of which thought the car was the new Optima.

None of them thought the Equus or the Genesis was a Sonata.

While I can appreciate that this is a quality car and a good value, my $60k would go to an Equus over this. At least it looks like a full sized flagship car.
Old 01-29-14, 10:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

from this review and other info i've read, it seems this car offers a serene ride in a more 'modern' styled body than the kinda stodgy dated looking equus.

at about $15k less than a similarly equipped LS, it's a heck of a deal.
Old 01-29-14, 10:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
... this car just looks like an Optima/Cadenza mix to me.
except it's much bigger, rwd, and a big v8. apart from that they're similar.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2015 Kia K900