Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2015 Kia K900

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes...I looked at that same turntable-display, too. Kia, for some reason, chose to display one with the all-black interior, which, IMO, for in a car of this class, looks a little too monochromatic. I understand that, like the smaller Cadenza, the K900 will have two-tone, lighter interiors also available. The Cadenza, for example, has a stunning white-leather option.
I agree, the all-black is kind of blah nowadays. But my focus was really on the exterior not the interior.
Old 01-30-14, 10:19 AM
LexFather

They are going to sell 12, much less than the Equus. As SW13GS stated it does not have the luxurious proportions the Equus has, this is a mess and if you are going to undercut the leaders, you need to at least dress the part. This car has absolutely no buzz with consumers and the auto industry.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course the market will decide... but it's not surprising that on a lexus forum the consensus isn't positive. but the fact that we're even having so much passionate discussion about hyundai/kia is a win for them.
This is a Lexus forum, and if it wasn't for Lexus owners and people passionate about the brand there is nothing here. Why the constant bashing and sly remarks about Lexus and taking up for Hyundai/Kia all the time? No one wants to read that constantly and it has nothing to do with being "unbiased". There are Hyundai/Kia forums to post about passionately if that is your bag.

It also has nothing to do with a Lexus forum being biased. NO ONE is impressed, it has no buzz, no forum has much to say outside of "meh".

Just because Kia or Hyundai makes a car like this doesn't mean its some amazing car. Its simply amazing THEY have produced them and sadly above many supposed luxury brands. So don't expect a Lexus owner, Mercedes owner, Audi, BMW etc to be blown away by it when there is nothing really mind-blowing about the vehicle. We have people bash a competent Camry but take up for a competent Kia/Hyundai. Ridiculous.

I think many people don't understand context with these vehicles.

Old 01-30-14, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
They are going to sell 12, much less than the Equus. .
I won't bring up the issue of the Equus paint-color choice again, (we've already covered that enough in other threads)....but, even apart from that, a lot of the K900-vs.-Equus sales will ultimately depend on whether people will actually go and look at the car at a Kia shop. The company has gone so upscale, so fast, that a large part of the potential car-buying public still thinks of them as a Korean entry-level Rio/Sportage/Optima/Soul company. Many people have (yet) not even heard of the Cadenza, much less the K900.
Old 01-30-14, 10:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
+1 on this. Nowadays these cars are SO good...where is there a hole to punch through in the way Lexus did in 1989?
great post.

Then I would not classify them as cheap.2x is $130k, 3x is nearly $200k. NOBODY who spends six figures on a car is "cheap".
haha, you know, it's strange, they buy a 6 figure car, then haggle with the kid that cuts their lawn i think it's a control thing, and not in a nice way.

Do you have any of these friends who would trade their $130k S Classes in on a K900?
nope, but that's more about ego. on the other hand i've met people who certainly are well off but didn't drive a luxury car who bought an equus because they didn't want to spend what an LS, etc. costs.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Why the constant bashing and sly remarks about Lexus and taking up for Hyundai/Kia all the time?
you see what you want to see. i don't bash or make sly remarks about lexus all the time, nor do i take up for hyundai/kia all the time. i'm just impressed at how far they've come in a very short time, but they're certainly not without faults as is the case with EVERY brand. any reasonable person won't take up for ANY brand ALL the time.

Just because Kia or Hyundai makes a car like this doesn't mean its some amazing car. Its simply amazing THEY have produced them and sadly above many supposed luxury brands.
agreed.

So don't expect a Lexus owner, Mercedes owner, Audi, BMW etc to be blown away by it when there is nothing really mind-blowing about the vehicle.
i don't.

We have people bash a competent Camry but take up for a competent Kia/Hyundai. Ridiculous.
competent is in the eye of the beholder. the camry obviously fits its target market and has a well deserved reputation built over a LONG time.

I think many people don't understand context with these vehicles.
agreed.
Old 01-30-14, 10:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The company has gone so upscale, so fast, that a large part of the potential car-buying public still thinks of them as a Korean entry-level Rio/Sportage/Optima/Soul company. Many people have (yet) not even heard of the Cadenza, much less the K900.
agreed, without a strong marketing campaign, they're not going to make much progress.
Old 01-30-14, 10:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

agreed, without a strong marketing campaign, they're not going to make much progress.
Yeah....most of Kia's TV ads seem to be for the Soul (hamsters), Sorento, and Optima. And that's what's selling out of the showrooms.
Old 01-30-14, 11:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

haha, you know, it's strange, they buy a 6 figure car, then haggle with the kid that cuts their lawn i think it's a control thing, and not in a nice way.
LOL! Doesn't surprise me at all. I know MANY people who are that way.
Old 01-30-14, 11:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Does anyone know if KIA is doing the same things with the K900 as Hyundai with the Equus, in terms of coming to your home or office for test drives, home/office pickup and delivery for service work etc.? I haven't read anything one way or another.