Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-14, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
This new Genesis is starting to show its age already! The current Genesis IMO looks far classier and elegant. The more I look at it the more Fusion I see..
seriously? thanks for the good laugh.
Old 03-25-14, 09:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That was quick! Not available yet, and already outdated.
Old 03-25-14, 02:37 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compare and contrast:

Old 03-25-14, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ I while the redesign is a bit more boring to my eyes, it looks more luxurious and modern to me. The bottom one reminds me of Camry's and Avalon's and those silver dash buttons.
Old 03-25-14, 04:01 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are my quick thoughts after sampling the new Genesis.

Quick Drive in the 2015 Hyundai Genesis: In 2009, Hyundai embarked on a journey up the price ladder of the automotive segment with the Genesis. A smooth rear wheel drive luxury sedan that was to rival some of the best of Germany and Japan. It was a fairly nondescript sedan, mixing designs and styles from nearly all competitors, but the design has become a bit bland, and as Hoovey mentions, the interior pieces are now a generation old.

The second generation Genesis feels almost like jumping forward 2 lifecycles. It continues Hyundai's new clean and crisp design language inside and out. The front end is a little more upright, and there's something about not having the logo in the grille that throws me off, almost like the photoshopped cars you might see in ads that mask the identity of the brand.

Dynamically the car feels extremely buttoned down and worthy of a spot among some heady competitors like the Audi A6 and Lexus GS350. It should easily trump the new Acura RLX while undercutting the price of all those previously mentioned cars by a substantial margin. Hyundai's resale values are starting to hold better than before, so hopefully the value/bargain will still play out once you are ready to turn/trade your Genesis back in.
Old 03-25-14, 06:09 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i'm not the only one. My exact opinion is shared amongst the majority of people on the genesis forums
Old 03-25-14, 06:25 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Compare and contrast:

The original one not only looks more original but it's more luxurious. Look at how the wood trim flows from the door all the way around the dash. The instrument cluster also much cleaner looking.

Another interesting aspect. Look at the cost cutting they've done, for example the door panel of the old one looked like a real luxury and vault like quality. New one look like the usual hyundai flimsy standard.

Old Genesis

Compared to this new cardboard panel

Old 03-25-14, 08:12 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't agree. New one looks like a worthy upgrade to me, albeit with different approach to luxury. New one is much more stark and serious instead of swoopy and soothing.
Old 03-25-14, 10:22 PM
RXSF

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't agree either. The new one has a lot more luxury touches, though we can't tell of quality through the pictures. For example, new one has less silver plastic buttons, analog clock, larger LCD screen in the gauge cluster, partially stitched dash above the hood cluster, larger nav screen.

If they had to cut costs in quality, I can see why
Old 03-26-14, 08:26 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The original Genesis interior dash was pretty cheap looking and feeling to me, too much cheap hard silver plastic and fit and finish was not too good. This new one looks like a big upgrade visually over the last one, I will have to check it out.
Old 03-26-14, 09:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The original one not only looks more original but it's more luxurious. Look at how the wood trim flows from the door all the way around the dash. The instrument cluster also much cleaner looking.

Another interesting aspect. Look at the cost cutting they've done, for example the door panel of the old one looked like a real luxury and vault like quality. New one look like the usual hyundai flimsy standard.

Compared to this new cardboard panel
You're basing your opinions on photos. As someone who has driven both the old and new Genesis, I can tell you that absolutely no one will agree with you once they sit in the car and drive it. Old Genesis has a lot of the silver painted plastics and plastic-like wood trim. The new interior is leaps and bounds better than the previous gen with richer materials and modern styling and premium ornamentation.
Old 03-26-14, 01:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
You're basing your opinions on photos. As someone who has driven both the old and new Genesis, I can tell you that absolutely no one will agree with you once they sit in the car and drive it. Old Genesis has a lot of the silver painted plastics and plastic-like wood trim. The new interior is leaps and bounds better than the previous gen with richer materials and modern styling and premium ornamentation.
I agree. Photos, whether they are enhanced or not, just give you an idea of how the interior (exterior too) looks. You really need to see things in the flesh to know what they are really like.
Old 03-26-14, 01:51 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

"did you sat on the new genesis and stroke its dash?"

"No"
Name:  GAOkA.gif
Views: 1
Size:  1.95 MB
Old 03-26-14, 01:51 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 589 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
The original Genesis interior dash was pretty cheap looking and feeling to me, too much cheap hard silver plastic and fit and finish was not too good. This new one looks like a big upgrade visually over the last one, I will have to check it out.
Agree. Still have to see the new one in person, but I had the old one as a rental and while it was nice, the plastics were nothing the write home about
Old 03-27-14, 12:40 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Compare and contrast:

Originally Posted by pbm317
Has anyone else noticed that they're no longer using the Hyundai badge on the steering wheel and hood and instead using the "Genesis" badge? I can't help but wonder why they're trying harder to focus more on the Genesis branding than reminding customers that it's still a "Hyundai". Could it maybe be a sign that they're slowly moving more toward finally creating a luxury brand? hmmm

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread