Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Genesis Sedan Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 04:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Copying aside (which is IMO blatantly obvious, very likely intentional on Hyundai's part, and not worth debate), I'm wondering what the Genesis is trying to be. When Lexus first came out, they were going after "Japanese Mercedes", and that served them well for a long time. What is the Genesis? A Korean BMW? Aside from the bodywork, I doubt it has the credibility underneath. A Korean Mercedes? Definitely no. A Korean Lexus? Not since the Equus and last gen Genesis has Hyundai tried to be Lexus. A Korean Infiniti? Seems most likely. But no one really wants the real Japanese Infiniti, WTH is the point of a Korean one.
Why the nationalist labels? When Lexus was launched in the u.s., there was zero inference or connection with japan in their marketing. Infiniti tried the rocks and trees zen thing which was totally stupid and failed completely.

When it inevitably happens, and a Chinese company buys a big name, will you consider that brand Chinese?

And 'Heritage' is just a branding / marketing concept to stop people moving to other brands. Let's face it, Mercedes, for example, made some junk in the 90s yet people still bought them because of 'heritage'.

Do you consider a samsung tv a Korean Sony?
Old 01-03-14, 07:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,627 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I've said it before and I will say it again...the mere fact that this thread exists on the biggest Lexus forum on earth with comparison photos, and exists on BMW forums, etc...is a huge win for Hyundai. Huge.
Old 01-03-14, 07:45 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But at the end of the day it's a Hyundai.

And will continue to serve the people looking at main stream upscale cars.

It won't have great performance, great interior or great anything. It will continue on where the current one left it.
Old 01-03-14, 08:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I've said it before and I will say it again...the mere fact that this thread exists on the biggest Lexus forum on earth with comparison photos, and exists on BMW forums, etc...is a huge win for Hyundai. Huge.
Good observation.
Old 01-03-14, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
But at the end of the day it's a Hyundai.
And will continue to serve the people looking at main stream upscale cars.
It won't have great performance, great interior or great anything. It will continue on where the current one left it.
and that's bad because?

market elitism/exclusivity can result in very small sales volumes, which if the goal, must be factored in to things like price, which must rise accordingly.

the brand that amazes me the most is porsche. they're not that exclusive, but their prices are high, their image is polarizing but extremely focused, and they continue to expand their line of vehicles.
Old 01-03-14, 08:53 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I think it's still a little to early to say that. However the interior on the old model was pretty bland to look at.
Old 01-03-14, 01:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You also have to realize that the industry is changing, brand isn't as important to people as it used to be, especially up and coming generations that have grown up through this recession. Think back to your parents/grandparents generation who came up during the depression...how concerned were they with brand? Something like a Genesis or Equus is going to be popular with people *because* its not a luxury brand. Wait and see.

Its a weird time. You have upmarket brands pushing down...downmarket brands pushing up. Think of all the cars you have in that $30-$5k "near luxury" segment now that you did not have 10 years ago. You have cars like the Genesis, Chrysler 300, Ford Taurus, Avalon, Buick Lacrosse, Azera, Kia Cadenza, the Honda Accord is more upmarket now. People legitimately shop these cars alongside cars like the Lexus ES, MB C Class, etc.
Old 01-03-14, 01:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ok enough copy talk, how about some cool features of the Genesis

2015 Hyundai Genesis to offer Google Glass integration

We suppose it was simply a matter of when (rather than 'if') wearable technology would infiltrated automobiles, and apparently that time has come. Hyundai has just announced that its new-for-2015 Genesis Sedan will be compatible with Google Glass thanks to its Blue Link infotainment system.

"As a leader in connected car technology, we're always exploring new ways to use technology to enhance the ownership experience for our customers. Wearables are a great way to extend the experience outside of the vehicle by leveraging these small screens to quickly access remote features and deliver timely vehicle information," said Barry Ratzlaff, the executive director of Customer Connect and Service Business Development for Hyundai.

Customers will need to download a Blue Link Glassware app to manage their new Genesis, but once that's sorted, owners will be treated to little "cards" that pop up on the Google Glass interface. Push notifications will show when maintenance is due and customers will even be able to schedule service via Glass. Features like remote start, remote locking and a vehicle finder will also be available, while points of interest will be selectable and loadable into the navigation system via Google Send-to-Car.

"In 2013, we saw millions of commands sent to Hyundai vehicles from our Blue Link mobile application," said Ratzlaff. "As new screens emerge, we see a real opportunity to expand our app strategy to provide added convenience for our owners."

Of course, on some level, this new compatibility presupposes that using Google Glass and similar technologies while driving is legal – and that's something that's clearly up for debate right now on local, state, and federal levels.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/03/2...s-integration/
Old 01-03-14, 01:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

As far as who wants a large, premium, Korean sedan that mimics a BMW? A lot of Korean businessmen, bankers, and real estate agents. They love stuff like this. I see them driving the current Hyundai and BMW models in downtown L.A. all the time. They'll gobble up the new model, with its copied, executive looks.
Old 01-03-14, 07:02 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why the nationalist labels? When Lexus was launched in the u.s., there was zero inference or connection with japan in their marketing. Infiniti tried the rocks and trees zen thing which was totally stupid and failed completely.

When it inevitably happens, and a Chinese company buys a big name, will you consider that brand Chinese?

And 'Heritage' is just a branding / marketing concept to stop people moving to other brands. Let's face it, Mercedes, for example, made some junk in the 90s yet people still bought them because of 'heritage'.

Do you consider a samsung tv a Korean Sony?
Like it or not, nationalistic labels factor into the strength of car brands. German cars are seen as the most prestigious, then other European cars, then Japanese cars, then American cars, then Korean cars. This is especially true in how cars are presented in automotive media here.

When Lexus launched in the late 80s and 90s, "Japanese" was synonymous with "quality". Lexus was smart enough to realize that, and capitalized on the whole "quality" thing in their marketing and products. "Quality" set Japanese cars and Lexus apart from other cars. So I can't agree with you there.

Hyundai/Korean are not synonymous with quality and refinement, aren't renowned for engineering prowess, they are not considered to have "soul", and so in both tangible and superficial areas that influence desirability, they come up short.

These days the whole image thing is a huge uphill battle for everyone but the Germans, who now as Lexus/Japan's quality advantage has reduced, are enjoying the windfalls of simply being German luxury cars. BMW and Mercedes sales have exploded in the US. Even brands like Audi who aren't doing quite as well sales wise continue to enjoy free marketing in our media that associates them with the far more successful BMW and Mercedes and against brands like Lexus and Cadillac for simply being German.

Lexus has been completely stupid as of late by abandoning their image strengths in marketing. Gone is quality, refinement and the pursuit of perfection:

And in is hip old people and loud obnoxious music.

"An entirely new pursuit" it says it right there in the commercial. Fail. Boy have Mercedes in particular capitalized on this nonsense Lexus marketing and resulting image decline in recent years.

You also have to realize that the industry is changing, brand isn't as important to people as it used to be, especially up and coming generations that have grown up through this recession. Think back to your parents/grandparents generation who came up during the depression...how concerned were they with brand? Something like a Genesis or Equus is going to be popular with people *because* its not a luxury brand. Wait and see.

Its a weird time. You have upmarket brands pushing down...downmarket brands pushing up. Think of all the cars you have in that $30-$5k "near luxury" segment now that you did not have 10 years ago. You have cars like the Genesis, Chrysler 300, Ford Taurus, Avalon, Buick Lacrosse, Azera, Kia Cadenza, the Honda Accord is more upmarket now. People legitimately shop these cars alongside cars like the Lexus ES, MB C Class, etc.

Branding is important to people who buy high end luxury cars (prestige), and to people who buy low end economy cars (predictability and security). Just look at the never-has-been-better sales of BMW and Mercedes at the top end - despite growing competition, and #1 sales positions of cars like the Corolla and Civic - again despite growing competition.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 01-03-14 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Branding is important to people who buy high end luxury cars (prestige), and to people who buy low end economy cars (predictability and security). Just look at the never-has-been-better sales of BMW and Mercedes at the top end - despite growing competition, and #1 sales positions of cars like the Corolla and Civic - again despite growing competition.
Wait and see as more people who are in their 20s now get into the price ranges where they are going to be buying these cars. Remember that with every passing year successive generations form new perceptions of brands. At one time Toyota was considered a cheap, crappy car compared to American cars. Why do you think the original LS was so successful? Yes it was a great car...but it was also absurdly cheap for what it was. Without that value proposition Lexus would not have taken off the way it did, look how quickly the LS climbed in price. Take someone like me, I'm 32, and my father had a Lexus and to me...a Lexus is on equal footing with something like a BMW or Mercedes to me because it was the car that my father achieved ownership of...kids who are 20 now did not live in a world where Lexus was not a huge player in the luxury car market in the US. Time passes and perceptions change. Hyundai has been making great cars now for getting close to a decade, people who are 20 now do not remember Hyundai of the 80s...90s.... Where do you think their brand image will be in another decade...and another decade after that?

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-14 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 10:04 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait and see as more people who are in their 20s now get into the price ranges where they are going to be buying these cars. Remember that with every passing year successive generations form new perceptions of brands. At one time Toyota was considered a cheap, crappy car compared to American cars. Why do you think the original LS was so successful? Yes it was a great car...but it was also absurdly cheap for what it was. Without that value proposition Lexus would not have taken off the way it did, look how quickly the LS climbed in price. Take someone like me, I'm 32, and my father had a Lexus and to me...a Lexus is on equal footing with something like a BMW or Mercedes to me because it was the car that my father achieved ownership of...kids who are 20 now did not live in a world where Lexus was not a huge player in the luxury car market in the US. Time passes and perceptions change. Hyundai has been making great cars now for getting close to a decade, people who are 20 now do not remember Hyundai of the 80s...90s.... Where do you think their brand image will be in another decade...and another decade after that?
I don't think their brand has yet reached parity with mainstream brands like Toyota, Honda, and VW, let alone premium brands, and I'm in my 20s.
Old 01-03-14, 10:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't think their brand has yet reached parity with mainstream brands like Toyota, Honda, and VW, let alone premium brands, and I'm in my 20s.
But you are a car enthusiast with a very strong bias towards a particular brand (I have read your posts and have never seen a post from you that even hints at objectivity). Most consumers are not enthusiasts...and have not spent the amount of time you have spent learning about and discussing car models and manufacturers,

If you polled consumers today and asked them to rank carmakers by name when it comes to their perception of the brand, Hyundai may not be up there with Toyota and Honda...but they will be higher than they would have been 10 years ago, and certainly 20 years ago. In 10 more years they will be higher...in 10 more...higher.

Thats how these things work. Its not a battle that is won in 1, 5 or even 10 years. Hyundai is here to stay, and they are here to compete. if you look at what they are doing today vs what they were doing in 2004...the difference is staggering. IMHO they now have a product that is overall as good...and perhaps better in some ways than what is being made at Honda and Toyota. What they need to work on is brand perception, and that comes from making good products over time. For instance, I wouldn't even consider a Camry or Rav 4 over a Sonata or a Tuscon or Santa Fe. The 3 Row Santa Fe is an excellent family crossover that is much cheaper than the Highlander. I would never buy a Pilot over one. The Genesis is a huge value compared to something like an ES or an Avalon. They are getting there.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-14 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 11:30 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is how the interior compares with everyone else.

Old 01-06-14, 11:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nitpicking, but those aren't the 2014 5-series or E-class interiors.

Quick Reply: 2015 Genesis Sedan Thread