Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My 10 Years at CL....and a Special Full-Review: Lexus GS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 08:32 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

One missing feature which you missed in your test-drive and which you should experience is the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS ) which is standard in both the Luxury and F-Sport trim. That alone improves handling by a significant margin.Another reason AVS is so important is that it IMPROVES ride comfort in Normal/Sport mode since the shocks soften automatically in response to bumpy road conditions

Another is Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH )option found only in the F-Sport which introduces active rear wheel steering and consequently reduces the turning circle and hence agility of the GS at lower speeds, making the car shrink around the driver and feel like a much smaller car in handling.
Old 10-19-13, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
One missing feature which you missed in your test-drive and which you should experience is the Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS ) which is standard in both the Luxury and F-Sport trim. That alone improves handling by a significant margin.Another reason AVS is so important is that it IMPROVES ride comfort in Normal/Sport mode since the shocks soften automatically in response to bumpy road conditions

Another is Lexus Dynamic Handling (LDH )option found only in the F-Sport which introduces active rear wheel steering and consequently reduces the turning circle and hence agility of the GS at lower speeds, making the car shrink around the driver and feel like a much smaller car in handling.
Yes, as I said earlier, I would have considered reviewing an F-Sport had one been available. I may test-drive one later if they become readily available here, though I'm not going to do another whole review.
Old 10-20-13, 04:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Several lines of vehicles have tried all-wheel-steering (even Chevy/GMC full-size pickups), but usually the option is not kept for long, either because of low sales, excessive complexity, cost of production, or other issues.