Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Lexus GS350: 8AT, Siri, Climate Concierge and more!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 07:47 AM
LexFather

Awesome updates! Would be nice to have but would not trade in the first years experience.

Steve I'm with you on 6 vs 8 especially when its time to shift for yourself. I have to really remember I have 2 more gears to play with. I've had no issues with Lexus of BMW 8 speeds.

Old 09-26-13, 08:26 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8-speed ZF in BMWs isn't as seamless as the one Lexus uses.

You feel every single shift point and its quite jerky during slow/crawling situations like a DSG
Old 09-26-13, 08:28 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 8-speed is as smooth and hopefully as reliable as the 4-speed used in the Corolla.
Old 09-26-13, 09:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Plenty of engineers are on record in technical publications saying that the laws of diminishing returns kick in past "6 or 7" forward gears. 8 and 9 is really all marketing. I've had plenty of seat time in newer BMWs with the ZF 8-speed, and while it's a fine transmission it really is overkill. Do you really need gears spaced every 500rpm? If 8th gear wasn't providing enough pull to go up a grade or make a maneuver, 7th wasn't either and it was actually hitting 6th on me. Gearing could have easily been 1-2-3-4-6-8, skipping 5th and 7th. In other words, just spread out 5th and 6th on a 6-speed automatic a bit more and you have the same thing, minus the overkill. On higher powered cars like the BMW 550i, 1st gear is pretty pointless and you can actually get better 0-60 times starting from 2nd gear since there's so much power and you save the time for a shift. If you're in manual mode, it's also annoying having to manually click through so many gears. Manual shift from 8th to 4th is a lot more annoying than getting from 6th to 4th. Anyways if you've got an 8-speed it's nice and entertaining in a way to hear the engine wind up and wind down so quickly as it goes through all of the gears, but no big loss at all if you're not really gaining much performance (either acceleration or fuel economy) and 6-speed automatics don't hunt as much and are easier to keep track of mentally in manual mode.
Absolutely agree! Future is in planetary CVT or some more advanced CVT as soon as they rework the quirks. No need for speeds anymore really.
Old 09-26-13, 10:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

and the '16 will have a midcycle refresh with more stuff,exterior tweaking and probably a horsepower bump.
It's always something newer...
Old 09-26-13, 10:47 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm holding out for the 2023 GS. LOL
Old 09-26-13, 12:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Plenty of engineers are on record in technical publications saying that the laws of diminishing returns kick in past "6 or 7" forward gears. 8 and 9 is really all marketing. I've had plenty of seat time in newer BMWs with the ZF 8-speed, and while it's a fine transmission it really is overkill. Do you really need gears spaced every 500rpm? If 8th gear wasn't providing enough pull to go up a grade or make a maneuver, 7th wasn't either and it was actually hitting 6th on me. Gearing could have easily been 1-2-3-4-6-8, skipping 5th and 7th. In other words, just spread out 5th and 6th on a 6-speed automatic a bit more and you have the same thing, minus the overkill. On higher powered cars like the BMW 550i, 1st gear is pretty pointless and you can actually get better 0-60 times starting from 2nd gear since there's so much power and you save the time for a shift. If you're in manual mode, it's also annoying having to manually click through so many gears. Manual shift from 8th to 4th is a lot more annoying than getting from 6th to 4th. Anyways if you've got an 8-speed it's nice and entertaining in a way to hear the engine wind up and wind down so quickly as it goes through all of the gears, but no big loss at all if you're not really gaining much performance (either acceleration or fuel economy) and 6-speed automatics don't hunt as much and are easier to keep track of mentally in manual mode.
brilliant post

when i had my ls460l, and recently driving the ls460 fsport and is350 fsport, i always get very confused what gear i am in
Old 09-26-13, 01:09 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Took the words right out of my mouth!!
Old 09-26-13, 01:24 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Old 09-26-13, 02:02 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

is this the ISF 8 speed? does it have shift lag ?
Old 09-26-13, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by praetor
I lost it

Old 09-26-13, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
too rich!!
Old 09-26-13, 04:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Plenty of engineers are on record in technical publications saying that the laws of diminishing returns kick in past "6 or 7" forward gears. 8 and 9 is really all marketing.
same was said when they had 3 gears, 4 gears, 5, 6, ...

Do you really need gears spaced every 500rpm?
luxury cars aren't about 'need'. do you really need lots of wood, or carbon fiber trim, or panoramic roofs, or massive brakes, or huge rims, etc., etc.

Gearing could have easily been 1-2-3-4-6-8, skipping 5th and 7th.
when i had my 6 spd stick miata, i could easily pull away in 2nd, and typically did 1/2, 4, 6. 3/5 were fun if i wanted to wind it out a bit, but not 'needed'. if anything the 6th was still not tall enough.

If you're in manual mode, it's also annoying having to manually click through so many gears.
agreed with that, and that's why i'd bet manual mode is used 'almost never' by drivers overall. it isn't 'needed' it's just for control freaks who think they know better than the software.

as for gear hunting when in auto, with small spacing of gears, the car can make more choices in fuel economy vs. responsiveness. i drive a 7 speed infiniti g37 coupe fairly often, and i'm in awe of how great it shifts and how it blips the rpms on downshift to match and make it seamless. harder to make it smooth with fewer cogs. yes, the lexus 6 speed is excellent (as was the 5 speed too), but part of that is the honkin' torque converter that smooths things out.

anyway, for a luxury car, i'll take all the cogs i can get thank you.

how about the new 7 speed manual on the new 911? isn't needed either.

Old 09-26-13, 04:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
is this the ISF 8 speed? does it have shift lag ?
yes it is, shifts in .1 sec just like the ISF
Old 09-26-13, 04:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm sure the engineers at the companies using 8+ speed transmissions could make a case for the benefits they provide. The good news it's up to the consumer to decide many speeds they want.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus GS350: 8AT, Siri, Climate Concierge and more!