Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Lexus GS350: 8AT, Siri, Climate Concierge and more!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 11:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What I would like to see in the new GS if I were to ever go back to the GS would be simply the feature that allows the base of the seat to extend for taller drivers. I dont think I saw that when I sat in one recently. Thats one thing I have admired about the Q50 and G37. Even though its a midsize car it gives you that seat feature that you usually only get in large premium luxury sedans. I think overall the GS350 is very very hard to beat. For me the fact that its a Lexus that looks amazing, handles better than it looks ( and better than the competing 5 series ), and is better than the previous gen in every way is enough to get me back even with the added thigh support. But it would be great with it
The base extends on my GS frontward.If you're talking about extra thigh support.
Old 09-25-13, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am very glad about the updates, especially 8 speed, BSM, and also color HUD. though i have to say it feels a bit like 2006 to 2007 gs
Old 09-25-13, 11:14 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What I would like to see in the new GS if I were to ever go back to the GS would be simply the feature that allows the base of the seat to extend for taller drivers. I dont think I saw that when I sat in one recently. Thats one thing I have admired about the Q50 and G37. Even though its a midsize car it gives you that seat feature that you usually only get in large premium luxury sedans. I think overall the GS350 is very very hard to beat. For me the fact that its a Lexus that looks amazing, handles better than it looks ( and better than the competing 5 series ), and is better than the previous gen in every way is enough to get me back even with the added thigh support. But it would be great with it
My 2013 GS Fsport has that feature on the driver's seat.
Old 09-25-13, 11:29 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice upgrades! Although I am confused about the 6 speed AT. I do remember hearing the chief engineer saying that they didn't want to have an 8 speed AT because they were looking for a maximum performance output... It seems that marketing and everybody going 8-9 won over performance.
Old 09-25-13, 11:46 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by asoksevil
Nice upgrades! Although I am confused about the 6 speed AT. I do remember hearing the chief engineer saying that they didn't want to have an 8 speed AT because they were looking for a maximum performance output... It seems that marketing and everybody going 8-9 won over performance.
Oh come on! You didn't really buy into that BS excuse, 8 speed probably wasn't ready at the time when GS was conceived or some other models had priority in inventory.

Anyway nice update, should have been like that from the first MY but better late than never.

I think GS is now 80% complete, all it needs now is some good face refresh a la IS/LS and its good to go. And offer those LEDs as an option or standard on all trims for Christ's sake.

Oh and one more thing LDH package didn't go away as it was speculated before.

Last edited by Vladi; 09-25-13 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 01:59 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

All gizmo enhancements are nice. Wonder if there are any small cosmetic upgrades?
Old 09-25-13, 02:34 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting how little impact 2 extra gears had on MPG, IMO.
Old 09-25-13, 02:34 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
because it came out earlier? ES was first car with BSM.

Same goes with 8AT for instance, and all of these features.
that proves my point. The ES came out first with BSM and RCTA. The GS comes out a year later with just BSM...
Old 09-25-13, 03:01 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Good upgrades, can't wait to see the exterior. There will be a new look right?
Old 09-25-13, 03:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
that proves my point. The ES came out first with BSM and RCTA. The GS comes out a year later with just BSM...
GS was introduced 6-7-8 months before ES :-)
Old 09-25-13, 05:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have to say it feels a bit like 2006 to 2007 gs
a bit?

Originally Posted by G Star
There will be a new look right?
um, no.
Old 09-25-13, 09:36 PM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care for shifting through 2 more gears. Power folding mirrors and flush sensors are nice, but I'm happy with my '13.
Old 09-25-13, 09:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
a bit?

um, no.
well you know, trying to be sensitive
Old 09-25-13, 10:58 PM
madfast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Originally Posted by asoksevil
Oh come on! You didn't really buy into that BS excuse, 8 speed probably wasn't ready at the time when GS was conceived or some other models had priority in inventory.

Anyway nice update, should have been like that from the first MY but better late than never.

I think GS is now 80% complete, all it needs now is some good face refresh a la IS/LS and its good to go. And offer those LEDs as an option or standard on all trims for Christ's sake.

Oh and one more thing LDH package didn't go away as it was speculated before.
i think its a little of both. remember that one of the main complaints with the 8sp is the gear hunting. well the 3IS 8sp debuted their G-AI tech which holds gears during sporty driving/cornering. so its possible they didnt want to offer the 8 speed without the G-AI system which wasnt quite ready yet.
Old 09-26-13, 03:42 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of engineers are on record in technical publications saying that the laws of diminishing returns kick in past "6 or 7" forward gears. 8 and 9 is really all marketing. I've had plenty of seat time in newer BMWs with the ZF 8-speed, and while it's a fine transmission it really is overkill. Do you really need gears spaced every 500rpm? If 8th gear wasn't providing enough pull to go up a grade or make a maneuver, 7th wasn't either and it was actually hitting 6th on me. Gearing could have easily been 1-2-3-4-6-8, skipping 5th and 7th. In other words, just spread out 5th and 6th on a 6-speed automatic a bit more and you have the same thing, minus the overkill. On higher powered cars like the BMW 550i, 1st gear is pretty pointless and you can actually get better 0-60 times starting from 2nd gear since there's so much power and you save the time for a shift. If you're in manual mode, it's also annoying having to manually click through so many gears. Manual shift from 8th to 4th is a lot more annoying than getting from 6th to 4th. Anyways if you've got an 8-speed it's nice and entertaining in a way to hear the engine wind up and wind down so quickly as it goes through all of the gears, but no big loss at all if you're not really gaining much performance (either acceleration or fuel economy) and 6-speed automatics don't hunt as much and are easier to keep track of mentally in manual mode.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus GS350: 8AT, Siri, Climate Concierge and more!