Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This guy was fed up with his BMW

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 02:38 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Even M Owners Hate Their Cars

Before I bought the IS F, the BMW M3 was on my list of cars I was considering. In the end it came down to 2 things that were neck and neck. Price and reliability. Both cars are excellent performers, but the $15,000 increase in price for a equally equipped + market price adjustment wasn't worth it in the end.

Here we see an owner frustrated with his M6...so frustrated he decides to...well...I'll let you watch...

http://jalopnik.com/spurned-bmw-owne...wit-1327759600
Old 09-16-13, 02:48 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

money to burn.. poor car
Old 09-16-13, 02:54 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not diss the e9x M3. It is a pretty reliable car. The new turbo V8 is probably less reliable than the S65 V8.

I owned a 2011 M3 for 2 years and I did not experience any problems what so ever. I am not a BMW fanboy either as the M3 was the fist BMW I ever purchased. Reliability wise its a solid car.

My experience with my "old" M3 was great, so great that I will most likely get another one via European Delivery. I was going to get an ISF but my wife talked me into the M3 because she wanted an Euro trip out of it. Glad she did.
Old 09-16-13, 02:58 PM
2ndGF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, the police officer had the look of WTF do I do with this guy
Old 09-16-13, 03:09 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
I would not diss the e9x M3. It is a pretty reliable car. The new turbo V8 is probably less reliable than the S65 V8.

I owned a 2011 M3 for 2 years and I did not experience any problems what so ever. I am not a BMW fanboy either as the M3 was the fist BMW I ever purchased. Reliability wise its a solid car.

My experience with my "old" M3 was great, so great that I will most likely get another one via European Delivery. I was going to get an ISF but my wife talked me into the M3 because she wanted an Euro trip out of it. Glad she did.
Agreed. Never understood cats who buy the ISF because it's somehow more reliable than the M3. By what count? Data? They sold many more M3s than they did the ISF so the probability for failure is greater by volume alone. Two of my friends regularly track their '11 M3s on sticky Nittos and neither have skipped a beat. Anecdotal, yes, but real life examples in my automotive hobbyist circle. ISF friends? Zilch.

I bought the ISF because it stands on its own as a better value than the M3, no apologies. Performance wise it's neck and neck. Feel wise, the M3 is clearly more raw. Along the comfort and and daily driveability fronts, the ISF takes the cake (traits all too often underestimated/overlooked). M3 has heritage with decades to spare. The ISF is the new kid on the block and gave it a shot because it's so well put together (2011+). Price wise, it was a new ISF or a super low mileage M3 since there are so few new ones out there.

Now when turbos come into play, that's where I fall back. I don't like them, trust them, nor do I like the power delivery so waiting for the M4 was a non-factor. The M6, Gran Coupe, M5 --> no danke.

My '08 GT3 has been all oil changes and brake pads thus far. 10K miles in one year. I don't baby this thing, but do take care of it. I'm hoping the ISF proves just as reliable. It's certainly been as fun to own thus far. It needs very little to look good. In fact, it needs nothing save for wheels and lowering... just like the GT3.

Last edited by ROK; 09-16-13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 03:32 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

lol I saw this video. Pretty crazy. It is a shame BMW now sells ZERO N/A cars.
Old 09-16-13, 03:46 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Talking This guy was fed up with his BMW

His M6 had numerous problems that BMW could not fix. So, what does he do ? Smashes his car in public in front of the Frankfurt Motor Show

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 09-16-13 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 03:51 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This has happened before, in another BMW, because the owner was also unsatisfied.

I cant imagine how insurance would deal with this haha
Old 09-16-13, 04:00 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and bmw will still keep selling a bunch of cars.
Old 09-16-13, 04:18 PM
ISFpat
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Agreed. Never understood cats who buy the ISF because it's somehow more reliable than the M3. By what count? Data? They sold many more M3s than they did the ISF so the probability for failure is greater by volume alone. Two of my friends regularly track their '11 M3s on sticky Nittos and neither have skipped a beat. Anecdotal, yes, but real life examples in my automotive hobbyist circle. ISF friends? Zilch.
How about Lexus VS BMW in terms of reliability? If you say BMW holds their own in terms of reliability VS Lexus then lol. GTFO

People don't go, oh I'm buying an IS-F for reliability, they buy it for the performance factor with knowledge of the long HISTORY of reliability from LEXUS. Regardless of sales, Lexus wins and thats looking at the overall picture and helps in determining the future reliability of this car.

Last edited by ISFpat; 09-16-13 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 04:25 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the dumbest thing I've ever seen....why don't you just get rid of the car or give it away to charity? What an idiot.
Old 09-16-13, 04:35 PM
CUTigers
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCM83
This was the dumbest thing I've ever seen....why don't you just get rid of the car or give it away to charity? What an idiot.
What is a charity or anyone else going to do with a car thats broken all the time and is garbage? lol
Its his car, who cares.

He is just following in the steps of the chinese and Lambo problems from a while ago.
Old 09-16-13, 04:41 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about getting a M6, but after reading about the engine and transmission problems, it thoroughly scared me. Porsche it is.

Last edited by darkdream; 09-16-13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 04:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah I've seen a video of this happening in China with a BMW iirc. We got a 2009 M6 with 56K on the odometer as a trade in and the Finance Manager bought it. Two days later it was in the shop, fixed, then the next day back i the shop. He dropped it and picked up a new S5 Convertible
Old 09-16-13, 05:01 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Poor M6... I wonder if there was a way to claim the car as a lemon? Well i guess he's well pass that option. But alteast it was fun to watch.

Quick Reply: This guy was fed up with his BMW