Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2013 Cadillac XTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-13, 05:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

I would buy an Equus, I wouldn't even look at an Impala.
Ten years ago (or even 5), there was still a lot of people who wouldn't even look at any Hyundai or Kia....much less an Equus. Often, when people DO look, their opinions change. The Impala is still stuck with a cheap, rental-car image, when, in fact, with the new 2014 model, that is clearly no longer the case. While I respect your opinion, the fact that you won't even look at one seems to be reinforcing that outdated image....just like what was the case with Hyundai and Kia 5-10 years ago.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-10-13 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-10-13, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,649 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ten years ago (or even 5), there was still a lot of people who wouldn't even look at any Hyundai or Kia....much less an Equus. Often, when people DO look, their opinions change. The Impala is still stuck with a cheap, rental-car image, when, in fact, with the new 2014 model, that is clearly no longer the case. While I respect your opinion, the fact that you won't even look at one seems to be reinforcing that outdated image....just like what was the case with Hyundai and Kia 5-10 years ago.
I agree, a lot of things have changed and I have fought that very argument. BUT...different vehicle categories still exist...and the Impala and Equus are just totally different vehicles. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Impala is a Chevy, its just a completely different car than what I would be looking for if I was shopping for an Equus.

Owning the Jeep and the Lexus has given me an interesting perspective. Obviously, Lexus service is what it is, I'm very accustomed to it. Jeep service sucks. Its not that JEEP service sucks, its that servicing a midmarket car after being accustomed to servicing a luxury car is a VERY rude awakening. My Jeep was $40,000. The Overland and Summit are $50k, $53k. An SRT is $65k+. You still have to deal with crappy Jeep service though, no loaners (not even for week long warranty work), ugly grey tiled dealerships with tires stacked up everywhere. Plastic chairs.

The Equus is a "Hyundai", but they have created a great ownership experience in that they will come get it, drop of an Equus loaner, etc. Someone like me who appreciates luxury car service will feel at home with an Equus.

The Impala is going to be like the Jeep. Its just a completely different vehicle and ownership experience. You have that on top of the fact that the cars are just completely different, they don't drive similarly, they don't ride similarly, they aren't designed to be anything alike.
Old 09-10-13, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I agree, a lot of things have changed and I have fought that very argument. BUT...different vehicle categories still exist...and the Impala and Equus are just totally different vehicles. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Impala is a Chevy, its just a completely different car than what I would be looking for if I was shopping for an Equus.

Since it's actually oldcajun's money at stake here (he's the one actually shopping, not us), I'm sure he'll spend it as wisely as he sees fit. I was only trying to give him some friendly advice....as I'm sure you were, too.
Old 09-10-13, 06:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe he should look at a VW Beetle and a Ford F150 while he's at it too. Pretty good value there and they're about as similar.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I would not look at an Impala if I were shopping for that type of car...I would. I just would not consider an Impala alongside an LS or Equus.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-10-13 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-11-13, 07:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't think you can compare the cars enough to say the Impala is more car per dollar spent. I would buy an Equus, I wouldn't even look at an Impala.

To me, its like saying that a Ford Mustang is more car per dollar than a Honda Odyssey. The comparison at its core just doesn't make sense.

Glad we can agree on something!
You can't compare the two, saying that the Impala comes off as a better dollar spent is rediculous, it simply gives the impression that mmarshall has a General Motors agenda to push.

The two cars really do not compare in any way.
Old 09-11-13, 07:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe he should look at a VW Beetle and a Ford F150 while he's at it too. Pretty good value there and they're about as similar.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I would not look at an Impala if I were shopping for that type of car...I would. I just would not consider an Impala alongside an LS or Equus.
Weird and off base comparisons have been one of the hallmarks of mmarshalls reviews and they are frustrating because with the professional auto journalists the do not often make this error. Most professionals will give respect to the automaker and compare the car to what it should be compared to.

The Impala starts at $26,800 while the Eqquus starts at $61,000. It would be unbelievable for anyone to honestly compare the two.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-11-13 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 08:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
T The Impala is still stuck with a cheap, rental-car image, when, in fact, with the new 2014 model, that is clearly no longer the case. While I respect your opinion, the fact that you won't even look at one seems to be reinforcing that outdated image....
I dont see this at all. Genera Motors makes some really fine automobiles that even exceed my favorite Toyota and Lexus in many ways. The trucks are far superior to the Toyota Trucks, the ATS is a better car inside than out than the IS, and Cruze/Verano was a nicer car than the last Corolla. Do I want to buy a GM car? NOPE.

The Impala is not stuck with a rental car perception.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-11-13 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I dont see this at all. Genera Motors makes some really fine automobiles that even exceed my favorite Toyota and Lexus in many ways. The trucks are far superior to the Toyota Trucks, the ATS is a better car inside than out than the IS, and Cruze/Verano was a nicer car than the last Corolla. Do I want to buy a GM car? NOPE.
I don't see what we are disagreeing on....if at all. We both seem to agree that, with some exceptions, GM is on a roll. And, of course, how you spend your money is your own business. Same with me...a number of companies make good products today, but that doesn't mean I'm really that interested. But, unlike some other people, I usually don't formally criticize a car until I actually go look and test-drive....though if I consider the styling or looks awkward from just pictures, I'll say so. -
Old 09-12-13, 10:35 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike,
I took your advice and went back to the Chevy dealer and drove another Impala. I still think it rides better than the Caddy XTS, the interior is not very nice. Lots of fake wood and fake leather. It is also just a bit marginal in power. The Equus has the power thing under control and everything in the cabin is real! Nice leather, real wood and plush carpets. My real hope is that Lexus will provide this kind of smooth riding, quiet car again and that I can stay a Lexus customer, If not, I will go elsewhere for my next car(s). I'm old and only have a few new cars left so I want something I can love. I looked at a Tesla today and asked myself it I can live with it. The answer was "maybe"!
Steve
Old 09-13-13, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Mike,
I took your advice and went back to the Chevy dealer and drove another Impala. I still think it rides better than the Caddy XTS, the interior is not very nice. Lots of fake wood and fake leather. It is also just a bit marginal in power. The Equus has the power thing under control and everything in the cabin is real! Nice leather, real wood and plush carpets.
I agree on both counts. One cannot expect the Impala's interior to equal that of the XLS at almost twice the money. But it's noticeably better than that of the last Impala, and it beats the crap out of the 20" wheel XTS in ride-comfort.

My real hope is that Lexus will provide this kind of smooth riding, quiet car again and that I can stay a Lexus customer, If not, I will go elsewhere for my next car(s). I'm old and only have a few new cars left so I want something I can love.
Yep....totally agree with you. I've said before, several times, that Lexus risks driving away some of their best (and repeat) customers with this over-emphasis on sporting and firm ride. You, among others, are a perfect example.

I looked at a Tesla today and asked myself it I can live with it. The answer was "maybe"!
Steve
Do you have a charging system (or an adequate-voltage wall-outlet) for a Tesla?
Old 09-22-13, 01:04 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just drove the SRX testing some luxury SUVs

I believe this would have the same engine as the XTS, was not actually expecting to be impressed but overall was not bad as far as the engine response and transmission. It was quite well driving the car. Had a lot of bells and whistles.

What I was disapointed in was the CUE system, which was not to my liking. I actually like thr looks of the center stack it looks nice and futuristic, but did not care for the 'touch' controls and feedback rather than typical buttons and *****. I understand this is the iPod generation but give me a **** and button anyway over this too cute (CUE system).

I did not really dig into the CUE system, was there something specific you did not like aside from the input touch or swipe system? I could almost learn to accept the input, but was there much else you didn't like about the system? I didn't care for the nav map look which was somewhat isometric 3/4 view rather than the typical top down perspective.

Last edited by rai; 09-22-13 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-22-13, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rai

I believe this would have the same engine as the XTS, was not actually expecting to be impressed but overall was not bad as far as the engine response and transmission. It was quite well driving the car. Had a lot of bells and whistles.
Horns replaced bells and whistles in the first decade of the auto industry.

I haven't sampled an SRX for some time (did a full-review on one a few years ago)...but, from what I remember about it, the 3.6L setup in that vehicle, even with AWD, seemed to fell a little stronger than the 3.6L in the XTS.

What I was disapointed in was the CUE system, which was not to my liking. I actually like thr looks of the center stack it looks nice and futuristic, but did not care for the 'touch' controls and feedback rather than typical buttons and *****. I understand this is the iPod generation but give me a **** and button anyway over this too cute (CUE system).

I did not really dig into the CUE system, was there something specific you did not like aside from the input touch or swipe system? I could almost learn to accept the input, but was there much else you didn't like about the system? I didn't care for the nav map look which was somewhat isometric 3/4 view rather than the typical top down perspective.
To be honest, in general, I don't care for any system that forces you to either set it up for voice commands (which the computer often doesn't understand anyway), or to push-touch several different icons/symbols to do simple things that, for many years, required simple foolproof ****/lever/button movements.
Old 09-23-13, 07:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by rai

Consumer Reports did a comparison test of some CUV's not too long ago that included the X3, RDX, Q5 and SRX. In their Road Test the SRX did OK but finished at the bottom compared to the others. Its Reliability is Below Average based on their Owner Surveys. They do sell well though.
Old 09-23-13, 10:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those vehicles are all a good bit smaller than an SRX...