Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2013 Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 04:30 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Camry

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to protect the Camry sedan's position as the top-selling U.S. car, a company sales executive said.

"I'm very passionate about that," Bob Carter, senior vice president of the carmaker's U.S. sales unit, said Thursday during an Automotive Press Association event in Detroit.

"The mid-size sedan market is the largest segment in the industry and we want Toyota to continue to be America's favorite car, period."

The mid-sized Camry has been the No. 1-selling U.S. car for 11 consecutive years, and remains in the top spot through August.

For much of 2013, Camry deliveries were lower than a year earlier.

A 22 percent surge last month pushed Camry to a gain of 2.3 percent for the 1st 8 months.

Toyota offered incentives averaging $2,560 for each Camry sold in August, up from $1,879 a year earlier, based on an estimate by Edmunds.com, an auto pricing and data company in Santa Monica, Calif.

That was above the industry average for mid-sized sedans of $2,193, said Jessica Caldwell, senior industry analyst for Edmunds.

"Our incentives, while they are up from Toyota's historical averages, they are still less than where the competition currently is," said Carter, who didn't provide specific figures. "The bottom line is, the Camry's No. 1 because it's a great car."

After the speech, Carter declined to comment on whether the Camry needed updating.

"I have nothing to announce today but I will tell you that we like being No. 1 in the largest segment and we'll stay there," Carter told reporters.
Old 09-05-13, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Where do you see these figures? I only see "Nearly 20% were hybrid models" mentioned in the briefing of the Avalon. I mean they should publish the hybrid sales figures regularly, particularly for the GS450h, the RX450h and the ES300h, just so we can get a better idea of whether the IS300h would make a business case or not.
So numbers are up:
ES300h: 1600
Avalon: 1467
RX450: 1116
GS450h: 69
Old 09-05-13, 06:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I think the mods and admin asked to knock-off the redundant ES argument every month in the sales thread.
appreciate the understanding and reminder.

It is clear Lexus has figured out the IS/ES/GS can co-exist and last month might be best month they have ever had together.
precisely.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Not sure how the GS selling 2200 units, 3rd in class and up over last year is weak? I think what is weak are the arguments over and over against the GS.

In how many languages must it be stated it will never be a volume car like the 5 or E? Without the ES it still WOULD NOT sell 5k a month, the ES starts 10k less than a GS
ok, no need to bring up the same 'debate' again. let's all let it go.

the ES is a roaring success in the U.S.

the GS is doing nicely, considering the narrow range of models, and competition (including Lexus)
Old 09-05-13, 08:31 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Problem with raising the ES platform to premium is Lexus has that covered with the LS.
LS = Premium large luxury sedan

Best solution is to give the GS more engine options. - GS300h, GS200t (2.0 turbo), GS500(V8)

I would change the ES to hybrid only and make it what the HS was going to be. - Entry luxury midsize hybrid for people who care less about driver dynamics. Focusing on Comfort and Efficiency. Boom problem solved!
I too think GS and the Lexus line should have more engine options. Make the 300h available to every the IS, RX and the 450h to the LS.

The LS has a way higher price tag than the ES so even if you rise the quality of it, it won't sell like it is doing now. It has to have a great quality but also an reasonable and affordable price for the majority.

Originally Posted by spwolf
So numbers are up:
The ES300h pulling out a 20% out of the total sales of the ES!

RX450h at almost 13% and the GS450h just a weak 3%.

The RX needs the 300h engine! Regarding the GS, it seems that the high price point isn't working at all, plus people don't actually see the meaning of the GS450h compared to the GS350...
Old 09-05-13, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by asoksevil
I too think GS and the Lexus line should have more engine options. Make the 300h available to every the IS, RX and the 450h to the LS.

The LS has a way higher price tag than the ES so even if you rise the quality of it, it won't sell like it is doing now. It has to have a great quality but also an reasonable and affordable price for the majority.

The ES300h pulling out a 20% out of the total sales of the ES!

RX450h at almost 13% and the GS450h just a weak 3%.

The RX needs the 300h engine! Regarding the GS, it seems that the high price point isn't working at all, plus people don't actually see the meaning of the GS450h compared to the GS350...
i do see a lot of es300h around. makes sense, a great car for a very good price
Old 09-06-13, 04:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i do see a lot of es300h around. makes sense, a great car for a very good price
Most of them are probably sold in California.

I think rest of the world will get 300h in every car save for LS... so GS300h most certainly (announced) but also RX300h quite likely, and we know NX300h is coming... hopefully facelifted CT300h appears too.
Old 09-06-13, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

why do you think that is?
Old 09-06-13, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yeah, interested to see why you think so? i think it's a great car for most regions
Old 09-06-13, 11:44 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So numbers are up:
Thanks. This proves that people who want hybrids want hybrids that save fuel. The smaller the engine displacement the better. Introducing the IS300h, the RX300h and the GS300h to the market should do wonders like asoksevil suggested. In fact, Toyota/Lexus can do even better by switching to 2.0L direct-injection 4-cylinder hybrids to get even better mpg and even better market reception. Don't even bother with the performance aspect of hybrids unless it's meant to be a sports car.

Last edited by ydooby; 09-06-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-11-13, 11:16 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Camry: 44,713 units sold

Mazda 6: 4,249 units sold

According to everyone, Camry sucks, Mazda 6 is best in class.

When are auto journalists and the interwebz going to realize the Toyota knows what people want? The Camry, as it exists, is what people want.
Old 09-11-13, 02:02 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-

When are auto journalists and the interwebz going to realize the Toyota knows what people want? The Camry, as it exists, is what people want.
Totally agree however... offer me a home grilled burger or a hamburger from McD and I can tell you which I'll choose.
Old 09-11-13, 03:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The Camry has proven it's merit year after year.

However, if I was in the market I'd prefer to be one of the 4,249.
Old 09-11-13, 03:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

quantity doesn't imply the best as mr. johnson points out with his good burger analogy. it's certainly the best selling though.

miley cirus' new video has had 50 million views in a couple of days, so it must be the best music video ever made, right?

we already know the 'general public' isn't that discriminating or 'into' cars. the camry is reliable well made comfortable transportation at a reasonable price and with a well-earned great reputation. THAT's why it appeals to so many. if that's what you're looking for, i guess you'll join the masses.
Old 09-11-13, 05:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks. This proves that people who want hybrids want hybrids that save fuel. The smaller the engine displacement the better. Introducing the IS300h, the RX300h and the GS300h to the market should do wonders like asoksevil suggested. In fact, Toyota/Lexus can do even better by switching to 2.0L direct-injection 4-cylinder hybrids to get even better mpg and even better market reception. Don't even bother with the performance aspect of hybrids unless it's meant to be a sports car.
why would they do better with 2.0l? I think their strategy with 2.5l is much better... makes their cars faster than competition while getting same or better mpg in real life.

IS300h with 20% less hp and torque would suck.... not to mention GS300h or RX300h.

Problem is the pricing, not performance side.. if IS300h has to be priced too high, then it wont get imported... GS450h people dont buy because it is $13k more expensive, not because it is performance hybrid. Everyone who ever tried loves GS450h.. it just needs to be less costly.

If you are thinking Fusion with its 2.0l and 47 MPG - thing is, they manipulate the tests.. in real life, same mpg as Camry or less, but much slower. Same will possibly be with Honda (hopefully not).

So 2.5l was selected for good highway performance as well as good torque/hp characteristics. It would be impossible to use 2.0l with heavy rwd cars like GS300h, IS300h and even RX that will surely get it.
Old 09-11-13, 06:04 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stack them high and sell 'em cheap.

Quick Reply: August 2013 Auto Sales Thread