Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Tesla Model S Breaks Machines That Are Designed to Break It

Old 08-21-13, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts
Default 2013 Tesla Model S Breaks Machines That Are Designed to Break It

2013 Tesla Model S Breaks Machines That Are Designed to Break It, Earns Highest-Ever Safety Scores

After earning a five-star overall government crash safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, we knew the 2013 Tesla Model S was a safe car. What we didn’t know is that it’s the safest car ever tested by the agency. Ever. Of all time.

According to the company’s blog, composite scores in testing can exceed five stars even though that’s the maximum that will ever show up on documentation. That said, the Tesla Model S earned 5.4 stars. It broke the rating scale. It also broke the NHTSA’s roof-crushing machines, taking more than 4 Gs of force before the government testers had to give up.

Thanks in part to aerospace-grade bolts, having a larger front crash structure thanks to missing an engine, and a fair amount of expertise from the other Elon Musk venture, SpaceX, the Model S aced everything. It didn’t even come close to failing any single test. The only other car to have ever come close to the sort of safety standards that the Tesla Model S has is the 2005 Ford GT supercar. And guess what? The engineer who helped design much of the structure of the Ford GT also worked much of his magic on the Tesla Model S.

Tesla proudly notes that during all testing, the battery was never harmed and never caught on fire — a jab at Chevrolet with early examples of its Volt plug-in hybrid-electric car and the Fisker Karma. Of course, GM is now studying the Model S to see how it’s succeeding where so many electric cars before it haven’t.

So the car’s a bit expensive and the interior materials could afford a little bit of an upgrade. And working every function of the car through a giant iPad in the center console can get a little annoying. But it’s fast, huge, luxurious, reliable, feature-packed, futuristic, quiet, and safer than any car has ever been. If you’re still a non-believer, you may have to have your head examined.

View & Read: http://blogs.automotive.com/2013-tes...#ixzz2cdSdtWiO
Follow us: @MyAutomotive on Twitter | Automotivecom on Facebook
Old 08-21-13, 01:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn...Elon Musk must be chillin right now.

Good for Tesla, it is going to be my next car. The more Tesla model S we buy the more the other manufacturers will be pooping in their pants and ramping up green and tech to catch up.
Old 08-21-13, 01:54 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the part where it says GM is studying the Model S to see how it is succeeding where other electric cars haven't. Just look at the damn thing and you can figure it out. We like good looking cars. The Model S is a good looking car. The Nissan Leaf while it may have some success is an ugly looking car. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if we were able to get the hot chic that is the girl we'd go for.
Old 08-21-13, 02:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

So consumer reports rated it higher than any car tested and now this. Maybe this will be my next car. I love the way they look and the gas saving will be worth it right off the top. If the payment is 1000/month and you save $250-300 a month then it makes sense. Not like leasing an S class then fueling it and dropping $1000/month then fueling it for $350/ month
Old 08-21-13, 02:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The only other car to have ever come close to the sort of safety standards that the Tesla Model S has is the 2005 Ford GT supercar. And guess what? The engineer who helped design much of the structure of the Ford GT also worked much of his magic on the Tesla Model S.
Ford GT
Old 08-21-13, 02:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

tesla is really doing a lot of things right. much bravo to them
Old 08-22-13, 06:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
tesla is really doing a lot of things right. much bravo to them
Yes, Tesla is becoming a major force in the automotive industry.
Old 08-22-13, 07:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

it's impressive until you realize they lose about $20k on ea. one they sell.

the ballyhoo'd Q1 profit was totally rigged, and in Q2 i believe they lost about $30M.

but i do hope they make it. and yes, the S is a gorgeous car.

the safety score isn't surprising to me when you consider the car has essentially a solid rigid battery floor and doesn't have to eat space with things like a large fragile gas tank!

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-22-13 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 08:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

As I've said before, when it comes to full-electric cars, it seems Tesla is getting it right.

Meanwhile, Fisker is still having trouble finding its place in the electric car market. I do hope it gets there as well though.
Old 08-22-13, 08:45 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the ballyhoo'd Q1 profit was totally rigged, and in Q3 i believe they lost about $30M.

the safety score isn't surprising to me when you consider the car has essentially a solid rigid battery floor and doesn't have to eat space with things like a large fragile gas tank!
Believe it or not, for a start-up car company this early in the game, those numbers are outstanding. Think of the billions upon billions lost by Amazon as a start-up. It took them years to make a profit.
Old 08-22-13, 10:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

the ballyhoo'd Q1 profit was totally rigged, and in Q3 i believe they lost about $30M.

i think it took toyota quite some time before they started making money on hybrid tech / prius?

losing money now imho is still ok, given what they are projecting and how the market is receiving it
Old 08-22-13, 05:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default NHTSA rebuffs 'best ever' crash test claim by Tesla

NHTSA rebuffs 'best ever' crash test claim by Tesla

In response to Tesla's claim that the Model S is the safest car ever tested, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has released a statement clearing up how it rates cars. While not denying that the Model S is a very safe car, the agency said that its rating system is only between one and five stars – nothing higher and nothing lower.

This means that, unlike honors classes in college and high school, there is no way to score above the highest rating, and Tesla says that it received a 5.4-star rating (although there is no indication where it got this information). Also, NHTSA made no mention of any broken equipment it suffered while testing the Model S; another claim made by Tesla.

NHTSA Statement on 5-Star Safety Ratings

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is committed to improving safety on the nation's roadways and helping motorists make informed decisions about new or used vehicles they are considering purchasing. The agency's 5-Star Safety Ratings program is designed to provide consumers with information about the crash protection and rollover safety of new vehicles beyond what is required by Federal standards. One star is the lowest rating; five stars is the highest. More stars equal safer cars. NHTSA does not rate vehicles beyond 5 stars and does not rank or order vehicles within the star rating categories. In addition, the agency has guidelines in place for manufacturers and advertising agencies to follow to ensure that accurate and consistent information is conveyed to the public.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/22/n...r-claim-video/