Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-13, 01:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

If you go to the web sites of the major window film manufacturers (Huper, 3M, Llumar etc.) you can see what percentages they offer and they also show the performance numbers of each of their films.
Old 06-16-13, 01:21 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Spectra PhotoSync which is focused on blocking heat. Works pretty well in my opinion, but it's not cheap.
Old 06-16-13, 02:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the best tint for blocking (heat/sun/etc) is the mirror type tint....but its ugly as shti IMO.
Old 06-16-13, 03:34 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Mirror tint is illegal here anyhow.
Old 06-16-13, 04:11 PM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Huper...dont waste your money

I Swear by tint. I wouldnt drive without it. In my opinion anything less than 20% is a waste of money. Illegal or not I have only been stopped once in 20 years of driving with dark tint. 35% is OK if you are not comfortable with night driving. 20% is a bit hard to look out of, but I wouldnt go anything less. I don't want anyone to see me picking my nose.

As for Huper optics DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY! I put it on last year (the most expensive and darkest I could get) hoping for a significant difference. I got none. I Spent over $800 and the effect is similar to normal 20% tint, except it has a mirror effect that makes it very hard to look out of on a sunny day! I will never buy it again. I want to rip it off but I can't justify it now that I spent the money.

All those who say they felt a difference don't know what they are talking about. Heat is heat and this tint does not stop it as you would expect... Its like this: Instead of it being 140 degrees in your car on a sunny day it might be 130! You will still sweat and it will still be unbearably hot in the car!

BEWARE!!! IT IS NOT THE SILVER BULLET THAT IT MAKES ITSELF OUT TO BE.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!
Old 06-16-13, 05:30 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC

All those who say they felt a difference don't know what they are talking about. Heat is heat and this tint does not stop it as you would expect... Its like this: Instead of it being 140 degrees in your car on a sunny day it might be 130! You will still sweat and it will still be unbearably hot in the car!

BEWARE!!! IT IS NOT THE SILVER BULLET THAT IT MAKES ITSELF OUT TO BE.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!
Perhaps you do not feel a difference in terms of heat, but I definately do. 100 degrees feels different from 95. It's only a net change of 5, but there is a noticeable difference. Tinting may not turn your car into a refrigerator, but it does feel different, at least to me.

Sun glare isn't as piercing as it feels in a naked glass car.

Again, tinting might not be your thing, but i think it's worth a TRY to at least see if you can feel the difference. Find a friend who has tinted cars and sit in it, both after a short bake and for a short drive. Then compare it to your untinted car.
Old 06-17-13, 10:58 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JOELC
As for Huper optics DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Heat is heat !

Yes, but you can sit behind the tint all day and not get burned.

The only effective way to block heat is to park in the shade or use a car cover.
Old 06-29-13, 08:54 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

To me the most important thing is SAFETY. Here in Florida a lot of cars I see have all black windows so that you cannot see the driver. Being able to see the driver and where he is looking or maybe hand signaling is very important. This is also important for Law enforcement but it seems to be ignored for the most part.