Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-13, 02:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition

2013 Subaru WRX STI Special Edition

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5913222/

Engine: Turbo 2.5L Boxer-4
Power: 305 HP / 290 LB-FT
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Drivetrain: All-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,384 LBS
Seating: 2+3
Cargo: 11.3 CU-FT
MPG: 17 City / 23 HWY
Base Price: $34,795
As-Tested Price: $35,495

Despite my best efforts to convince myself otherwise, I think I'm finally getting too old for this car. I remember the days when I would go ga-ga over the winged Subaru WRX STI sedan, my inner boy racer caring only about its turbo thrills and not taking into account things like price, packaging or interior quality/comfort. Even now, as someone who generally appreciates offbeat color choices, I'm having a hard time getting behind the Tangerine Orange paint of this Special Edition tester, a unique version of the STI sedan limited to just 100 cars. (West Coast Editor Michael Harley recently spent time in the Special Edition WRX sedan, which will see a production run of 200 units.)

To give it The Full Halloween, this limited-edition Subie comes with black accents on its mirrors and fender badges, not to mention black alloy wheels and special graphics on the rocker panels. Special Edition cars also come standard with foglights, and there are orange accents found throughout the interior. All in, this flashier Subaru will set you back $34,795 plus $700 for destination, or $500 more than the standard version.

No, $35,000 isn't chump change, and many will argue that there are far better vehicles to be had at that exact same price point. And while my aging brain is beginning to think more toward that side of the rational thought spectrum, there's still a lot about this car that makes my more youthful self endlessly happy.

Driving Notes
  • God bless the sweet, sweet turbo thrust of the boxer four. No power upgrades have been given to the Special Edition STI, the 2.5-liter flat-four producing the same 305 horsepower and 290 pound-feet of torque it always did. And while there's noticeable turbo lag down low in the rev range, once you get close to the 4,000-rpm full-torque point, this thing just pulls.
  • Thing is, despite it having 40 more horsepower and 46 more torques than the standard Impreza WRX, the STI doesn't feel noticeably quicker, and some independent testing has actually suggested the less-powerful standard Rex will hit 60 miles per hour sooner. The WRX uses a five-speed manual transmission with taller gearing than the STI's six-speed unit, so you can hold onto each gear for much longer. You could drive a WRX in second and third all day long, but in the STI, there's more cog swapping to be done.
  • Working the manual shifter in the STI continues to be a joy, however, with short, notchy actions between the gears, and good throttle and clutch pedal feel that allow for solid gear engagement each and every time.
  • Where the STI shows its improvements over its less-powerful sibling is in the corners, when its stiffer suspension and driver-controllable center differential settings all work together to give you exactly the sort of driving dynamics you're looking for. During everyday scenarios, the suspension is decidedly harsh, but I'd much prefer to spend five hours behind the wheel of this Subie than a similar Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.
  • A lot of that last comparison with the Evo has to do with the Subaru's better interior refinement, but even then, that isn't saying much. Driving this STI reminded me just how cheap the cabin of the previous-generation Impreza really was, with hard plastics found throughout, very little in the way of emotive styling and a generally drab appearance, even with these bright orange accents. There's a ton of wind noise that makes its way into the cabin, and so many parts of the interior just feel cheap – too cheap for a car with a price tag so high.
  • As for creature comforts, well, there aren't really any. The Special Edition cars don't come with Subaru's frankly horrible old-style navigation interface, using the normal radio display instead, and while there's Bluetooth functionality to be had, it's hardly intuitive.
  • There are good points, though. I love the sport seats fitted in the WRX and STI – they're comfortable and supportive, and generally speaking, there's a good deal of passenger volume inside this compact sedan. Rear passengers weren't exactly impressed with the fit and finish of the cabin, either, but at least nobody complained about headroom or legroom.
  • The STI's biggest downfall continues to be its price – it simply just isn't refined enough to warrant a $35k MSRP anymore, even with the excellent Symmetrical all-wheel drive fitted to each and every Subaru (except the BRZ, of course). That's especially true when you consider that the normal WRX is actually a much better overall value at a lower price point. Still, this sort of coin will buy you a fully loaded Ford Focus ST with change to spare, and despite the Blue Oval bruiser only having front-wheel drive, I'd take its more livable interior and more refined driving dynamics each and every day over the added benefit of AWD.
  • Mad little turbo cars like this will always put a smile on my face – my love for the hot hatchback has been well-versed here on the pages of Autoblog. But cars like this Subaru increasingly need to validate their price tag beyond just their performance capabilities, and entertaining as it is, the STI simply doesn't.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/05/2...k-spin-review/
Old 06-05-13, 02:44 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree Hoovey. The STI is getting behind. Let's look at a possible purchase of the new Based trim C7 corvette.

Far way sexier, and better, with much more headroom for performance.

The only thing that can Justify the STI is Hatchback and 4 doors. Unique style.

If the STI doesn't improve, I can see people opt for C7 more.
Old 06-05-13, 04:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I agree Hoovey. ...
he didn't write the review, just posted it.
Old 06-05-13, 08:40 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
he didn't write the review, just posted it.
Erhm....I agree bitkahuna
Old 06-05-13, 08:59 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree Hoovey. The STI is getting behind. Let's look at a possible purchase of the new Based trim C7 corvette.

Far way sexier, and better, with much more headroom for performance.

The only thing that can Justify the STI is Hatchback and 4 doors. Unique style.

If the STI doesn't improve, I can see people opt for C7 more.
It's also like $25k+

Two completely different classes/customer base.
Old 06-06-13, 12:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Erhm....I agree bitkahuna
no need to agree . I didn't write it lol. If it said "Hoovey Review" then that would be me good sir
Old 06-06-13, 01:12 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rkyat
It's also like $25k+

I'm not sure if you can get a brand new STI for 25K. WRX is well over 26K already.
Old 06-06-13, 04:39 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rkyat
It's also like $25k+

If you mean a C7 is 25k more than an STI, u are wrong. C7 can be had for sub 50k. Once the STI climb the mark 40k. It is only within 10k more.

Different customer base. I agree, but still, the STI is unique in 4 doors AWD and HatchBack. It only different in Rally capability AWD. But for a few thousands more, many Sport car enthusiast will switch to C7.

C7 is a much better car than C6 in look, engine efficiency, aero dynamic, technology, weight distribution.

Both different car and species, but believe it, people will cross shop it against C7.

As a family guy, I want an STI but with this price tag, and technology...m not buying
Old 06-06-13, 06:38 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

whoa this got me --
some independent testing has actually suggested the less-powerful standard Rex will hit 60 miles per hour sooner
plus I always thought the huge effin wing on the STI looked too tacky...and I don't think its an option...its standard.
Old 06-06-13, 07:25 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cino
I'm not sure if you can get a brand new STI for 25K. WRX is well over 26K already.
Woops typo on my end. Meant 15. Yea I know sti's can climb up there, but generally a shopper looking at a sti wouldn't cross shop a c7 and vice versa. If it was me tho, screw the subie, C7 all day.
Old 06-06-13, 07:42 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

No need for this review as this is the same car that was reviewed a few years ago, so this review is a little pointless IMO.

Also, the new STI is coming out soon with an updated GDI turbo engine.
Old 06-08-13, 10:21 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Also, the new STI is coming out soon with an updated GDI turbo engine.
This.

I've been without my Legacy GT for 10 days now and how I miss the speed of the turbo and the wooosh of the recirc. valve.