Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

May 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 01:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
let's not do this AGAIN. just stop. lexus has a 2 model strategy, and the ES/GS combo trounce bmw and mb.

First let me say,I'm 6 months in and by now I'm usually bored with my car but I absolutely love the GS.
I can't see the 2 model strategy thing when the ES isn't in the class of the GS,5 and E.
Old 06-03-13, 01:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Executive Class
Entry Level (midsize)
just wondering, how do you delineate 'executive class' from 'entry level'? thought it might be rwd/fwd but not so (xts, g37, genesis ...) - is it price? a level of how 'luxurious'?

same with "Premium/Near Luxury (large)" vs. "Premium/Near Luxury (midsize)" - i would think a taurus is no bigger than an avalon for example?
Old 06-03-13, 01:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Holy cow that's a lot of Camrys sold!
Old 06-03-13, 01:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Please drop the "here we go again" comment pot calling the kettle.
lol - seriously? you just keep beating on honda/acura which is silly.

By defending the car, you made my point.
didn't defend it, just pointing out that you were wrong.

Its for people that are honda fans with low expectations that don't care to try how much better a comparable Ford or Hyundai is, let alone an actual luxury vehicle.
you're fixated on trying to paint acura as not luxurious when everyone ALREADY KNOWS YOU'RE RIGHT! we get it, acrua's not luxury! it doesn't compete with lexus! its sales aren't very impressive! its vehicles aren't very impressive for enthusiasts either. i couldn't care less if acura went away.

again, all brands make vehicles for those with low expectations. i'll see your rdx, and raise you the new rav4.

Funny how the RX or other cars get blasted for being boring, here is BY FAR the most boring/bland entry in the 30-40k range and its applauded for selling well.
there you go again, the rdx and rx don't compete so no need to compare!

While Lexus is doing better by far than the other two,
infiniti and acura are certainly weak market players and brands.

the other two is helping drag Lexus and the aura of Japanese luxury down.
your thinking is completely out of date. few care if there's a 'aura of japanese' luxury' or whether there's 1 or 5 japanese players. most bmw buyers wouldn't know if it was built or design in spartanburg or germany and it looks like lexus is getting a lot of design input from california instead of japan these days. the business is global.

Contrarily Audi has only helped Benz/BMW with image as Porsche.
completely disagree. mercedes would like to crush audi into dust if it could.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-03-13 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 01:32 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wondering, how do you delineate 'executive class' from 'entry level'? thought it might be rwd/fwd but not so (xts, g37, genesis ...) - is it price? a level of how 'luxurious'?

same with "Premium/Near Luxury (large)" vs. "Premium/Near Luxury (midsize)" - i would think a taurus is no bigger than an avalon for example?
I based it mostly on price, size, and EPA class. The lines are muddy between some models, but I tried to put this list together based on what cars would normally be compared to each other and from a potential buyer's perspective. You can't put these lists together based on rwd/fwd, because so many of them are awd as well. No one will dispute an RLX is in the same class as a GS for example, even though one is fwd and the other is rwd/awd.
Old 06-03-13, 01:36 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brooks2IS
Just wish more people bought GX460s...

I know, I know. Expensive. Gas guzzler. And its a truck. Not a recipe for a hot seller, but this is a stellar SUV.
Big update is just around the corner: spindle grille, new interior with remote touch, new wheels, tail lights, etc. I heard to expect something similar to the recent LS refresh.
Old 06-03-13, 01:36 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My wife's CR-V has that rear trunk screen/cargo cover.
Honestly, I wouldn't get an SUV that didn't have that as an option. Too many thieves out there not to cover up your belongings
Old 06-03-13, 01:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Congrats and nice chatting with you today. Shocked you posted
Thanks man, same to you. Keep me posted on what you decide!!
Old 06-03-13, 01:37 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

bitkahuna, blueprint - let's take the personal commentary back and forth to private message please.
Old 06-03-13, 02:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
GS did a lot better in May, 2015, up from 1236 in April.

MB s currently selling 4 times as may C class cars as Lexus sells IS cars. Hopefully the 2014 IS will improve things.
well lets hope they do since 2IS is in run-off mode... they will have sucky sales for next 2 months.
Old 06-03-13, 02:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I also dont get hows RX classified... or CT.

but ok, he is doing it for us on his own time so I appreciate it!
Old 06-03-13, 02:13 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf

To be honest, I was going to put the RX category in with the others in the category above it, but there's just so many models from different brands within that size/price range, I had to separate them somehow, so I separated them by size based on EPA class and somewhat on price (the Standard Size category has a higher starting point than the others). If you have a suggestion on making it better though, feel free to let me know and maybe I'll change it.

I threw the CT in that bottom category cuz I figured it might compete more with those models than any others, since it doesn't really have any real direct competitors that compare to it. Plus I didn't want to leave it out

Last edited by Sens4Miles; 06-03-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-03-13, 02:22 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Sens4Miles, do you have the actual Land Rover LR4 number? Thanks for compiling this list.
Old 06-03-13, 02:26 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Sens4Miles, do you have the actual Land Rover LR4 number? Thanks for compiling this list.
No problem. I've been looking and can't find the LR4 or the LR2 numbers yet. And I haven't seen Volvo's posted anywhere yet either. But once I get them, I'll edit the list.
Old 06-03-13, 02:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf

It's off but I'm happy to have inspired others to make their own list as they see fit to their inexperienced views. Its great to see and saves me time.

In the industry we know what numbers and categories are used. If people rather look at other lists, good for them. Fox news also has tons of viewers as does CNN.

Quick Reply: May 2013 Sales Thread