Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2013 Dinan S3 BMW 550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 04:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quick Spin: 2013 Dinan S3 BMW 550i

2013 Dinan S3 BMW 550i

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5901792/

Engine: Twin-turbo 4.4L V8
Power: 542 HP / 587 LB-FT
Transmission: 8-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 4.0 Seconds (est.)
Top Speed: 190 MPH (est.)
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 4,400 LBS
Seating: 2+3
As-Tested Price: $110,000 (est.)

Steve Dinan has been enhancing BMW models since 1979. But don't throw his company into the ring with the dozen or so other tuners who tweak, tinker and piggyback upgrades on the famed German marque. Dinan is a tuner, but it's also an engineering firm that writes its own software, builds its own parts and then backs everything it does with a factory-grade warranty. That sort of fastidiousness comes at a price, but most of its customers – including the powerhouse of BMW Motorsport – rely on Dinan to help them come out on top.

In stock form, BMW's 550i is a formidable four-door with a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 rated at 400 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque. While those figures allow it to run with quick company (0-60 in 5.0 seconds, according to the automaker), Dinan puts the sedan's kettle on full boil with its S3 package. Starting with the engine, the performance engineering firm bolts on larger turbochargers, air-to-water intercoolers, a trick strut tower brace cold air intake, a quad-pipe free flow exhaust and its own engine management software. Pump in some premium fuel, and the result is 542 horsepower and 587 pound-feet of torque. Power is sent through the stock eight-speed automatic to a limited slip rear differential (Dinan will upgrade xDrive all-wheel drive models, too).

The Dinan S3 also features and extensive suspension upgrade that includes new front camber arms and low compliance rear control arms (engineered to reduce understeer and improve turn-in). The stock dampers are retained, but new bump stops are installed along with new springs. Overall, the car rides about a half-inch lower than stock to improve roll rate. To reduce unsprung weight, forged 20-inch HRE Performance wheels are fitted at all four corners (wearing Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires - 275/35ZR20 up front and 295/35ZR20 in the rear). Lastly, the company remaps the factory Electronic Damper Control (EDC) software with its own Dinan Shockware to work in conjunction with the new enhancements.

The base price of the 2013 BMW 550i is $62,625. Add another $38,773 for the full complement of Dinan upgrades on our test vehicle, and the BMW Performance carbon fiber body components. Expensive, but withhold your judgement until after you've stepped on the accelerator pedal.

Driving Notes:
  • Without a doubt, the Dinan engine package is the most seamless aftermarket upgrade I have ever experienced. The impressive increase in power is velvety smooth and natural in its delivery, devoid of the negative characteristics (hiccups, peaks and flat spots) that are common to most other tuned vehicles. The 550i lacks launch control, so the twin-turbo S3 requires a delicate right foot, or the rear tires quickly liquefy. Drive it properly, with a light touch followed by heavy throttle a few feet off the line, and the sedan takes off like a missile - quickly embossing your spine into the leather seatback. The smooth ZF eight-speed shifts with authority, yet without any of the harshness normally found with a dual-clutch. Dinan doesn't publish acceleration figures, but my tuned derrière dyno says it slices upwards of a second off BMW's published 550i time to 60 mph... and it runs unrestricted to over 190 mph.
  • Dinan touts its S3 550i as "a more luxurious version of the M5" with softer shocks and active roll control that give its car the edge when it comes to ride quality. They aren't fibbing, as the enhanced 5 Series provides a very comfortable ride when the EDC is set in Comfort, and sharp response when configured in Sport and Sport Plus. There is less understeer, thanks to the new camber and control arms, and nothing seemed to unsettle the chassis. The stock adaptive suspension worked seamlessly with the physical and software upgrades - the wide range of suspension settings was impressive.
  • If asked what I didn't like about the augmented 5 Series, I'd have to mention the steering. Three years ago, when I reviewed the BMW 550i, I commended the steering's accuracy but complained about its numbness and isolation. That said, Dinan doesn't touch the electric steering, so don't expect it to be improved. Again, this is more of a wish for improvement than a deal breaker.
  • Dinan's superb S3 BMW 550i obviously competes nearly directly with the factory's own flagship M5. In terms of power output, the Dinan feels every bit as burly as the 2013 M5 (keep in mind that BMW boosted performance of its M5 for the 2014 model year with the optional Competition Package), but its personality is softer and bit more tame - less high strung would be another good description. Both are excellent examples of the 5 Series. However, if asked which one I prefer, I'd select the hardened M5 for competitive track events but choose the polished Dinan as my daily driver. Where do you spend more of your time?
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/30/2...n-s3-bmw-550i/
Old 05-31-13, 08:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

With the M5 in existence, this thing don't make much sense. Unless someone really want a torque converter instead of a clutch, I do see the point of that.

The regular M5 suspension is already pretty soft and comfy.
Old 05-31-13, 09:11 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$110K+ for a FIVE series...

uh..... no....
Old 05-31-13, 09:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
With the M5 in existence, this thing don't make much sense. Unless someone really want a torque converter instead of a clutch, I do see the point of that.

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
$110K+ for a FIVE series...

uh..... no....
+1, just LOL....what's the reasoning??? if you wanna drop $100K on a 5 series just get the M5 and be done with it.
Old 05-31-13, 09:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, for about the same price, you can get this or an M5.

Apples and apples. Subtle differences in taste and texture.

Only the rich would be so picky...
Old 05-31-13, 09:42 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
So, for about the same price, you can get this or an M5.

Apples and apples. Subtle differences in taste and texture.

Only the rich would be so picky...

true - but I would bet the M5 retains way more of its value....I know I know, the rich wouldn't care about that.
Old 05-31-13, 10:19 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
+1, just LOL....what's the reasoning??? if you wanna drop $100K on a 5 series just get the M5 and be done with it.
The only reason I can think of, I do want the torque converter over a dual clutch in the M5.

But if it is my DD choice, I want a 750iL anyway, so this Dinan S3 550i is still pointless.
Old 05-31-13, 10:56 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
true - but I would bet the M5 retains way more of its value....I know I know, the rich wouldn't care about that.
Most likely, M5 will be leased, and Dinan will be kept/purchased.

Now, we'll know who's truly an enthusiast and a baller...
Old 05-31-13, 12:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the 38K+ price includes HRE wheels?
Old 05-31-13, 12:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

That thing is 4400 lbs, ugly as hell, and its still just a normal 5 series tuned. Not sure why a driver wouldnt just get an M5. Not impressed with this thing at all
Old 05-31-13, 12:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Is the 38K+ price includes HRE wheels?
I believe so. That is the total for all upgrades on this particular car, there is not much mods on it, so the price make sense to include the wheels.
Old 05-31-13, 12:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i think it's awesome.
Old 05-31-13, 01:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

i think so too. that's a lot of money and still no m badge
Old 05-31-13, 01:42 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the pleasure of driving this bad boy on Tuesday here at Mckenna BMW (yes I manage the performance department here... don't ask why I drive a Lexus) and I have to say I love what they have done to the car. The suspension feels great, definitely stiffer than stock but still very comfortable. Braking feels awesome with the massive brembo bbk up front. The power is just totally there with very little to no turbo lag. Didn't get to push it like I would my car but I could tell that it would pull all the way to redline without peaking power after a certain rpm.

Overall I like the feel of the car and the way it drives! Not really my style at the moment but it would be a really fun car for those who are into the big sedans.

Old 05-31-13, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
I had the pleasure of driving this bad boy on Tuesday here at Mckenna BMW (yes I manage the performance department here... don't ask why I drive a Lexus) and I have to say I love what they have done to the car. The suspension feels great, definitely stiffer than stock but still very comfortable. Braking feels awesome with the massive brembo bbk up front. The power is just totally there with very little to no turbo lag. Didn't get to push it like I would my car but I could tell that it would pull all the way to redline without peaking power after a certain rpm.

Overall I like the feel of the car and the way it drives! Not really my style at the moment but it would be a really fun car for those who are into the big sedans.
good details. where were you when we were shopping audi / bmw!!!!!!

how do you compare this with the m5 then, if you have driven that too? power / suspension / feel / dynamics?

Quick Reply: Quick Spin: 2013 Dinan S3 BMW 550i