Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sad story of buying a used E46 M3 SMG

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 06:26 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Biggest mistake is that they bought the SMG.

Geez get the 6MT. It's not THAT HARD to drive a traditional 3-pedal manual!
I think it's a dying art... Haha
Old 05-09-13, 07:05 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
The reliability issue isn't from that part of the transmission, it's from all the mechanisms in the actual SMG actuator portion. Read any BMW internet forum, and you'll find loads of people who have had trouble with the E46 M3 SMG, far exceeding any problems with the manual transmission only.
I have E46 M3 with SMG and troll all the E46 and M3 forums. E46 M3 has some reliability issues - I mean some of them are older than 10 years - but SMG in comparison to 6MT or SMG actuator in particular is NOT at all near the top of the list of the "common" problems prime example being the Acura guy - clearly his actuator was actuating 2nd and reverse. Among the "issues" that is specific to SMG - that is to say SMG only parts that fail commonly compared to 6MT - at the forums, you will see these listed in the order of frequency;

1 hood censor
1A salmon relay
2 SMG pump/accumulator
3 Gear position sensor

Note that actuator is not listed and it's not b/c I just left it out. In fact, if you go do search SMG parts for sale, you will see more actuators for sale compared to pumps/accumulators b/c pumps/accumulators failed on the guy and he's trying to sell rest of the working parts to recoup for repair/used parts.
Old 05-09-13, 07:14 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
I have E46 M3 with SMG and troll all the E46 and M3 forums. E46 M3 has some reliability issues - I mean some of them are older than 10 years - but SMG in comparison to 6MT or SMG actuator in particular...
I should have used clearer language, as I didn't realize there was an actual "actuator" part listed in the E46 M3 SMG. What I meant when I mentioned actuation is the part that is actually doing the shifting in the SMG vs the 6MT, that is, the electrohydraulic portion of the SMG transmission. That's where the problems are occurring, obviously not in the transmission portion shared by the 6MT.
Old 05-09-13, 07:47 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
SMG for E46 M3 was not a dual clutch. In fact, it's the same exact 6 speed manual gearbox as the E46 M3 6MT version except there is no clutch pedal and the clutch is engaged/disengaged via combination of computers/hydraulics when driver upshift/downshift. Since it's the same 6MT gearbox as regular E46 M3, SMG is really no more or no less "reliable" Although there are SMG hydraulic pump failures that are clearly doesn't happen with 6MT, that wouldn't "grenade" on you. It most likely just won't engage into any gears. In fact, SMG computer does help to save the gearbox from being "grenaded" by not allowing to be moneyshifted which certainly could happen with 6MT.
Thanks for the clarification, glad I said "I believe"

Used cars break down all the time sometimes after purchase, this really isn't unusual and again the dealership did a great job. I just have no idea how u jump from an E46 M3 to a TSX.