Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Apple wants to embed iOS in your dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 06:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Apple wants to embed iOS in your dash

In a move that will likely forever change the relationship between handheld wireless devices and automotive infotainment systems, reports say that Apple is working closely with multiple automakers to integrate its iOS Maps and Siri voice-activated systems seamlessly into vehicles. According to those familiar with the plans, Apple is designing updated versions of center consoles that allow iOS devices (like the iPhone or iPad) to be plugged directly into the vehicle. When initiated, the vehicle's built-in display becomes the iOS interface – with direct access to Apple Maps and other Siri-enabled services. Future plans may include even deeper interaction, with the Apple device assisting with realtime vehicle diagnostics.

This isn't the the first time Apple's name has come up on the pages of Autoblog, as it has been synonymous with the industry for years. The technology giant has not only admitted that it once considered making its own car, but it has integrated iPod/iPad devices into vehicles, replaced owner's manuals and supported specialized vehicle apps for countless brands. But this latest news is much more aggressive, as it shows that Apple isn't just interested supplying aftermarket solutions, but embedding itself into the industry as it seeks to replace OEM equipment.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/02/a...-in-your-dash/

POST FROM 9to5mac.com:
http://9to5mac.com/2013/04/30/in-ios...i-integration/
Old 05-02-13, 06:51 PM
Hoovey689

And I will be the first in line to let them do such a thing!!
Old 05-02-13, 08:21 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not too stoked about having iOS in every single auto dashboard.

I am not anti-Apple as i do own an iPad, but i dont agree with many of their policies and the way they run things.

At the same time, having iOS tech in every car system takes away from the uniqueness that is the interface on each car. Pretty soon it will be nothing more than different shells (cars) around the same system. Hopefully their request gets denied.

Watching them shove their iOS into the car market where they dont belong whispers "monopolization" to me. Integrated iPod syncing is cool, but this move isn't.
Old 05-02-13, 09:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I am not too stoked about having iOS in every single auto dashboard.

I am not anti-Apple as i do own an iPad, but i dont agree with many of their policies and the way they run things.

At the same time, having iOS tech in every car system takes away from the uniqueness that is the interface on each car. Pretty soon it will be nothing more than different shells (cars) around the same system. Hopefully their request gets denied.

Watching them shove their iOS into the car market where they dont belong whispers "monopolization" to me. Integrated iPod syncing is cool, but this move isn't.
Like Google/Android/Microsoft aren't trying too either?
Old 05-02-13, 10:02 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Ya it is the same thing with all of the software companies.

I understand that there is a certain level of cooperation that needs to take place between tech companies and car companies as the world grows ever more dependent on tech. But i dont like the fact that Apple's iOS interface will be a feature found on car input devices. (or rather their intention on doing that)

I lie more on the side of preserving the uniqueness that each carmaker employs in their tech standpoints.
Old 05-03-13, 01:51 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

If this all works as well as the touch screen on my Iphone, I'm all for it. Although I will say if they FORCE you to use Apple maps instead of Google maps, I will be completely against this.

I just don't get why automotive touch screens can't be as easy to use as my I-phone. Hell half of the current touch screen devices in cars don't have as good as graphics as my Iphone 5. I mean car companies should be upgrading their nav/infotainment systems every model year, just like there are several new phones out every year.
Old 05-03-13, 02:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

this is mirroring feature already present in Android... look at Vais Tech Android integration - this is the same thing.

So you connect it to the display and it will mirror out iOS output... with iOS they will probably have special apps supported only, not "everything" as Android does.

Wasnt one buddy of ours, posting here, telling us how this feature will be in 2014 IS? :-)
Old 05-03-13, 05:42 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blackberry (ex RIM) owns QNX which is already embedded into automotive control systems of a number of brands (Toyota too I believe). QNX OS is the basis for Blackberry 10 OS. Every car manufacturer needs to be assured their control systems are reliable and secure, which QNX provides but iOS cannot. If anything, I can see Blackberry (QNX) provide an integrated bridge solution to allow end user devices to interface with some functions of the control systems rather than the auto manufacturers doing it themselves. BB is also likely to release this as feature first for Blackberry devices, and then follow up with iOS and Android support.
Old 05-03-13, 01:14 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So what about this? Not sure if its totally true but its something to think about.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...levant_count=1
Old 05-03-13, 02:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Blackberry (ex RIM) owns QNX which is already embedded into automotive control systems of a number of brands (Toyota too I believe). QNX OS is the basis for Blackberry 10 OS. Every car manufacturer needs to be assured their control systems are reliable and secure, which QNX provides but iOS cannot. If anything, I can see Blackberry (QNX) provide an integrated bridge solution to allow end user devices to interface with some functions of the control systems rather than the auto manufacturers doing it themselves. BB is also likely to release this as feature first for Blackberry devices, and then follow up with iOS and Android support.
this is not total integration with the vehicle, just multimedia screen
Old 05-03-13, 10:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I am all for it as long as it works and is as easy as using my ipod touch. I will say that I will miss a hard radio when this does happen.
Old 05-03-13, 11:59 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys ever sat in a Tesla, those POS look like Apple everything with a touch of crack. Nothing is analog, everything is all screen. Center console, one big *** touchscreen. If Apple comes out to integrate their iOS into a car and I see things similar to the interiors of a Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised.

Apple is becoming iRobot.
Old 05-04-13, 12:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheAzn
If you guys ever sat in a Tesla, those POS look like Apple everything with a touch of crack. Nothing is analog, everything is all screen. Center console, one big *** touchscreen. If Apple comes out to integrate their iOS into a car and I see things similar to the interiors of a Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised.

Apple is becoming iRobot.
people keep misunderstanding what this means... Apple doesnt want to take over your car... it wants to lets you use your phone apps on existing vehicle display, something like Entune or Vais Tech.

You need to have iPhone for it to work and it works only when connected.

Unfortunately Apple doesnt want to sell its tech as a solution to vehicle multimedia systems - for instance like what Microsoft does with Windows for Automotive (Ford Sync), so to me this is nothing special at all.
Old 05-04-13, 08:30 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
people keep misunderstanding what this means... Apple doesnt want to take over your car... it wants to lets you use your phone apps on existing vehicle display, something like Entune or Vais Tech.

You need to have iPhone for it to work and it works only when connected.

Unfortunately Apple doesnt want to sell its tech as a solution to vehicle multimedia systems - for instance like what Microsoft does with Windows for Automotive (Ford Sync), so to me this is nothing special at all.
I dont speak for everyone, but what got me worked up was this line:
Originally Posted by autoblog
Future plans may include even deeper interaction, with the Apple device assisting with realtime vehicle diagnostics.
Im not really concerned with helpful apps like iOS maps. I feel those are beneficial. But that last line about "deeper interaction" between an operating system and a car's internal computer doesnt sound very friendly. Sure, now it is just "diagnostics", but what else would be in store for the future?
Old 05-04-13, 12:06 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I dont speak for everyone, but what got me worked up was this line:

Im not really concerned with helpful apps like iOS maps. I feel those are beneficial. But that last line about "deeper interaction" between an operating system and a car's internal computer doesnt sound very friendly. Sure, now it is just "diagnostics", but what else would be in store for the future?
^^^ Refer to my previous post.

Quick Reply: Apple wants to embed iOS in your dash