Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

April 2013 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 04:58 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow April 2013 Sales Thread

Ford Motor Co. today said it sold more Lincoln MKZ sedans in April than in the 1st 3 months of the year combined, as the luxury brand began to recover from lengthy production and distribution delays on the car.

Jim Farley, Ford's executive vice president of global marketing and the head of Lincoln, said MKZ sales in the United States would be "right around the 4,000-unit sales mark."

Total MKZ sales from January through March were 3,758, a 47 percent drop from the same period in 2012.

Farley said sales for all of Lincoln, which now calls itself the Lincoln Motor Co. as part of a revitalization plan, would be up at least 10 percent. Ford and other automakers report April sales on Wednesday.

He said April was the best month ever for the MKZ, which was introduced in 2007 as a new name for the Zephyr sedan.

"We are encouraged but fully recognize there is much more to be done," Farley said on a conference call with reporters Tuesday.

Difficult launch

The 2013 MKZ has had a notoriously difficult launch, with some dealers complaining that customers waited months to receive cars they ordered. Ford had sent MKZs assembled in Mexico to a plant in Flat Rock, Mich., for quality inspections and repairs.

It stopped diverting the cars to Michigan in March, but it took some time after that to clear all of the vehicles that were waiting to be checked and deliver them to dealerships.

As a result, Lincoln sales in the United States fell 24 percent in the 1st quarter, when the brand accounted for just 3 percent of Ford Motor Co. sales overall. The MKZ ranked 158th out of 266 nameplates, just ahead of sales of the Nissan Leaf and Mazda2.

Ford spent millions of dollars advertising the MKZ during the Super Bowl and Grammy Awards in February, even though the car was not readily available.

Dealers had been expecting to receive their 1st MKZs last October and in many cases were left trying to placate customers without knowing where their car was or when it might arrive.

The company has now shipped more than 11,000 MKZs to dealers, although many are currently in transit, Farley said.

No explanation

Farley declined to discuss the reason for the inspections or how many of the vehicles that were checked needed repairs. Even though Ford has taken considerable heat for the delay, "it was just the right decision for our customers and for the long-term interest of our dealers," he said.

"This is going to be a long road over the next months and years coming for remaking Lincoln," Farley said. "It's such an important journey for the company. It will not only need to continue but accelerate for us to be competitive."

Farley said he is pleased with the reception the MKZ is receiving from car shoppers as the inventory shortage dissipates. He said retail sales in the Los Angeles market more than quadrupled in April.

Nationwide, sales of the MKZ hybrid have exceeded internal expectations, selling twice as fast as the gasoline-powered model, he said. Transaction prices are up 20 percent on the MKZ year-over-year and 10 percent for all of Lincoln.

Last edited by GS69; 05-01-13 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 06:34 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Post Ford

Ford Motor Company April U.S. sales up 18 percent compared to last year – best April sales since 2007, with cars up 21 percent, utilities up 16 percent and trucks up 16 percent
Fusion and Escape both establish April sales records, with sales increases of 24 and 52 percent respectively
F-Series, America’s best-selling pickup for 36 years, posts a 24 percent increase, with sales of 59,030 – best April sales results since 2006
Lincoln overall sales up 21 percent; MKZ delivers its best monthly sales performance ever – with April sales passing the 4,000 vehicle mark for the 1st time in MKZ history

DEARBORN, Mich., May 1, 2013 – Ford’s April sales climbed 18 percent with gains across the portfolio – with cars up 21 percent, utilities up 16 percent, and trucks up 16 percent. Retail sales were up 27 percent.

“We are working harder than ever to keep pace with record demand for our all-new, fuel-efficient Fusion and Escape – with sales growth particularly strong on the coasts,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “F-Series pickups also continue to build on their momentum as the housing and construction industries rebound.”

Fusion continues its strong sales run with best-ever April sales results of 26,722 vehicles, a 24 percent increase over record year-ago April levels. The strongest retail sales increases for Fusion continue to come from the western and southeastern U.S. – with the sales in the West doubling in April and the Southeast up 70 percent.

Escape also had its strongest April sales since its launch 13 years ago, reporting a 52 percent increase with 25,826 vehicles sold.

Sales of America’s best-selling pickup, the Ford F-Series increased 24 percent, with 59,030 pickups sold. This represents F-Series best April sales results since 2006. It also is the 21st straight monthly sales increase for F-Series – with sales up 19 percent year to date.

In April, Lincoln sales increased 21 percent. The new Lincoln MKZ established an all-time monthly sales record, with 4,012 vehicles sold for the month – breaking the 4,000 vehicle mark for the 1st time ever.
Old 05-01-13, 07:39 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Post Gm

General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) sold 237,646 vehicles in the United States in April, up 11 percent compared with a year ago. Retail sales increased 10 percent, fleet sales were up 16 percent and the fleet mix was 28 percent of total sales.

“Car-buying conditions are strong and will continue to release pent-up demand,” said Kurt McNeil, vice president of U.S. sales operations. “We’re very optimistic because GM’s market share is growing, the economy continues to move forward and important car and truck launches are just getting underway.”

Chevrolet dealers began receiving their first shipments of the all-new 2014 Impala in mid-April, and the all-new 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 crew cabs will begin arriving in dealerships in the summer. Buick is launching redesigns of the Regal and LaCrosse in late summer and Cadillac will launch an all-new CTS luxury sedan in the fall.

April Highlights (vs. 2012)

All four GM brands posted higher total and retail sales.
Crossovers were up 14 percent; trucks, which include pickups, vans and SUVs, were up 17 percent; and car sales were up 6 percent.
Large pickups were up 23 percent.
Strong sales of the all-new Chevrolet Spark and double-digit sales increases for the Buick Verano , the Chevrolet Sonic and the Chevrolet Cruze drove a 31 percent increase in sales of GM mini, small and compact cars.
The new Chevrolet Malibu achieved its best sales and retail segment share since launch.
Old 05-01-13, 08:12 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I predict GS sales to be very strong.

I have seen a ton of them lately in NY - there is 5 of them in the 2 blocks around my house and almost all that i see are white.

Lexus is basically giving this car away with the crazy lease deals.
Old 05-01-13, 08:13 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow Chrysler

Old 05-01-13, 09:14 AM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I have seen a ton of them lately in NY - there is 5 of them in the 2 blocks around my house and almost all that i see are white.

So you need to post that Lexus is doing what BMW has done for a decade. Lol

Maybe people actually like the car?

Old 05-01-13, 09:44 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Good to see the Dart have another good month. WAY off the competition leaders of course, but I don't foresee that changing until the heavily discounted Avenger stops eating its sales.
Old 05-01-13, 09:48 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually looking to buy a GS for my father by the end of the year. From what I have been quoted from the internet managers from the volume dealers in my area, you can buy the GS right now for $6k off MSRP (this is for premium package w/ MSRP of $52,517). I think i'm gonna hold out till december and maybe get the GS for even less .
Old 05-01-13, 10:09 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Default Honda/Acura

American Honda today reported April 2013 U.S. sales of 130,999 units, an increase of 7.4 percent compared with April 2012 (up 3.1 percent based on the Daily Selling Rate, or DSR*). The Honda brand posted April 2013 sales of 117,100 units, an increase of 6.6 percent compared with April 2012. Acura U.S. April sales of 13,899 units increased 14.2 percent compared with April 2012.

Honda

Award-winning CR-V sets all-time April sales record, up 12.2 percent in to 26,519 units, breaking the record set in April 2012
Hot-selling Accord continues its retail sales strength, topping 33,500 units with year-to-date sales up over 26 percent
Sales for ultra-functional and efficient Fit up 33.9 percent for April

"The April sales record for the CR-V exemplifies the incredible retail sales success of Honda’s core models," said John Mendel, executive vice president of Sales at American Honda. "The Accord and Civic also continue to resonate, 1 customer at a time, with overall year-to-date sales well ahead of last year."

Acura

Sales of the all-new luxury flagship RLX sedan strong with 400 units in its 1st full month, as dealer inventory builds
RDX sets its 12th-consecutive monthly sales record, up 106.0 percent from last April, and is the top-selling Acura model in April with sales of 4,088 units
Acura sets an April truck sales record, with total Acura year-to-date sales up over 13 percent

"With a full year of record sales growth, the RDX is a resounding success,"
said Jeff Conrad, vice president and general manager of Acura Sales. "Continued record-breaking sales of the RDX is laying a solid foundation for the new RLX and MDX Acura models launching this year."

*The daily selling rate (DSR) is calculated with 25 days for April 2013 and 24 days for April 2012. Year-to-date, the DSR is calculated with 101 days for 2013 and 101 days for 2012. All other percentages in release are unadjusted; see table for adjusted DSR figures.
Old 05-01-13, 10:13 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doublehh03
I'm actually looking to buy a GS for my father by the end of the year. From what I have been quoted from the internet managers from the volume dealers in my area, you can buy the GS right now for $6k off MSRP (this is for premium package w/ MSRP of $52,517). I think i'm gonna hold out till december and maybe get the GS for even less .
So basically you found out that you can buy the GS with a discounted price like any car in this segment. lol

The flip flopping on the GS is utterly hilarious.

I drove by a local dealership and there is a huge sign on the side of the Infiniti M stating '$13,000 off". lol. The new RLX, yeah to get the $499 lease rate they are advertising, the dealer has to sell the car far under MSRP and this car is not even a month old. You can get great deals on the quad headlight E class right now. The entire class discounts.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-01-13 at 10:16 AM.

Old 05-01-13, 10:15 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So you need to post that Lexus is doing what BMW has done for a decade. Lol

Maybe people actually like the car?
Bro u need to stop being so sensitive!

Where in my post did i say ppl dont like the GS????
I LIKE THE GS and guess what i like Lexus too.

Im happy its selling well but the lease deals also help.
GS leases about $100-150/month less than a comparable 535.
Nothing wrong with that imo.
Old 05-01-13, 10:19 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Also as i have stated many times i dont see any reason the GS cant sell at the same level as 5series and Eclass.

If only there was no ES...
Old 05-01-13, 10:21 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Post Audi

Old 05-01-13, 10:21 AM
LexFather

Bro u need to stop being so sensitive!

Where in my post did i say ppl dont like the GS????
I LIKE THE GS and guess what i like Lexus too.

Im happy its selling well but the lease deals also help.
GS leases about $100-150/month less than a comparable 535.
Nothing wrong with that imo.
We all know Lexus decided to be more aggressive with leases this go round, they stated it themselves, it is what the market wants. To me its a wash b/c depending on region, car etc you can find these cars for the same price in many cases.

I just don't understand how its a talking point all of the sudden? When the GS didn't have lease deals, the same people beat it up for slow sales. No one talks about the deals or specials for other cars but every month in the sales thread, the same people flip and change the story and points to find anyway to minimize the GS and its success.

Old 05-01-13, 10:22 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So basically you found out that you can buy the GS with a discounted price like any car in this segment. lol

The flip flopping on the GS is utterly hilarious.

I drove by a local dealership and there is a huge sign on the side of the Infiniti M stating '$13,000 off". lol. The new RLX, yeah to get the $499 lease rate they are advertising, the dealer has to sell the car far under MSRP and this car is not even a month old. You can get great deals on the quad headlight E class right now. The entire class discounts.
Do you get overly sensitive over every post when someone replies to ANOTHER POSTER'S post? Nowhere do we talk about other cars or anything. A ton of cars get discounts. Is there an ignore button?

My post is about potentially buying a great car and I"m very happy that I will potentially get a great deal.

Quick Reply: April 2013 Sales Thread