Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick picks top 11 highlights from first 11 decades

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yup I loved those circa 2003 Marauders. Never seen one not in black.
Dark red and silver were offered on later ones as options.

Bad*** cars IMO. I could be wrong but I think they had the modular 4.6L V8 that pushed 300hp
Good-looking, maybe, but not so bad-a** on the street. Yes, they had a Mustang-based 4.6L....in a car that was far bigger and heavier than any Mustang. Both the Buick GNX/Grand National and the large, RWD, full-sized 5.7L Impala SS could handily outrun it, though, by today's standards, none of these cars really handled well, despite their police-spec suspension and brakes.

I test-drove a Marauder, and, while I did like the general looks and interior, Its power-to-weight ratio and general throttle-response, for a car of this type, simply didn't impress me. One thing it did do, though, I noticed, during the test-drive, was get people to slow down in front of me and get out of my way.....its plain, black-out looks, and being a twin to the Crown-Vic, apparantly made some drivers (especially speeding ones) think it was an unmarked police car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-24-13 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-24-13, 10:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dark red and silver were offered on later ones as options.

Good-looking, maybe, but not so bad-a** on the street. Yes, they had a Mustang-based 4.6L....in a car that was far bigger and heavier than any Mustang. Both the Buick GNX/Grand National and the large, RWD, full-sized 5.7L Impala SS could handily outrun it, though, by today's standards, none of these cars really handled well, despite their police-spec suspension and brakes.

I test-drove a Marauder, and, while I did like the general looks and interior, Its power-to-weight ratio and general throttle-response, for a car of this type, simply didn't impress me. One thing it did do, though, I noticed, during the test-drive, was get people to slow down in front of me and get out of my way.....its plain, black-out looks, and being a twin to the Crown-Vic, apparantly made some drivers (especially speeding ones) think it was an unmarked police car.
Seems like a good future investment
Old 04-24-13, 07:34 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup I loved those circa 2003 Marauders. Never seen one not in black. Bad*** cars IMO. I could be wrong but I think they had the modular 4.6L V8 that pushed 300hp
While a Mustang GT had a SOHC 4.6L with 260 HP in '03, the Marauder had the DOHC version similar to the Mustang Cobra (but not supercharged) and one of my personal favorites, the Lincoln Mark VIII. The GM 5.7L had better torque down low, but the 4.6 cammer was smooth and strong up higher in the rev range. In general I'm a GM guy but I do have a soft spot for the last 2 gens of Lincoln coupes, having owned and loved an '89 Mark VII LSC, '91 LSC and '94 Mark VIII. The 7s had the Mustang 5.0L H.O. while 8s had the DOHC 4.6L modular. My last one looked exactly like this - Deep Jewel Green with the factory alloys chromed:
Attached Thumbnails Buick picks top 11 highlights from first 11 decades-mark-8.jpg  

Last edited by MX5; 04-24-13 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-24-13, 10:20 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts
Smile

I'm all for a new Grand National/GNX

+ that's a pretty sinister looking Buick above. Never thought I'd use 'Sinister' and 'Buick' in the same sentence
Yeah, that thing looks mean. I haven't seen a Buick that cool since the old Grand National/GNX.
Old 04-25-13, 07:03 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Buick Century was the first production automobile capable of reaching 100 MPH, hence, the name. That should be on the list.
Old 04-27-13, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
The Buick Century was the first production automobile capable of reaching 100 MPH, hence, the name. That should be on the list.
Buick also used the Centurion name in the mid-late 1950s and again from 1971 to 1973. The Centurion name was not necesarily related to "Century", but was taken from an ancient Roman officer who was in charge of one hundred troops.

I didn't care for the later (early-70s) Centurion. Like the other full-sized Buicks (and other full-size GM cars) of that vintage, the assembly-solidness, fit/finish, and quality of materials inside and out was a big letdown from the nicely-done '69-70 models. This was back in the days before energy-absorbing bumpers were required (they were added in 1973), I remember that Consumer Reports, back then, in 5-MPH bumper-impact testing of the full-size GM cars, found an average 33% (one-third) increase in the amount of body damage from the '70 to the '71 models. Pathetic.