Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have we heard it all before? (New Cadillac)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-13, 08:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Have we heard it all before? (New Cadillac)

I was laughing as I read this in the Cadillac Owners Forum re: the new CTS. Sounds very much like the criticism that was bestowed on the 4GS when it was first introduced. Maybe the designers know something we don't and it is all about making an impression coming rather than going?

"OK, as many of you know by now the REAL photos of the 2014 CTS are out now...

While the front is stunningly beautiful - the rear looks like they can't figure out if they want this car to appeal to a "younger" or "older" demographic.

The rear is just plainly a huge step backward (except for the now molded in exhaust tips - which was way past due) from the old (pre-2014) CTS version.

It seems as though they got the new CTS and new XTS mixed up...

If the CTS had the rear of the XTS; and the XTS had the CTS rear - both cars would look more appropriate.

The CTS is a sport sedan - the XTS is a luxury sedan.

Wow, who designs these cars..?

What a huge mismatch!

The front of this CTS is beautiful, as is the rear of the XTS...

Anyone know a good chop-shop? LOL"
Old 04-06-13, 08:47 PM
LexFather

lol nice observation.

Old 04-06-13, 09:02 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

haven't seen it yet but will def look.
Old 04-06-13, 09:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Remember what I posted in the 3IS forum when those pictures came out. This ALWAYS happens when a new model comes out, regardless of the manufacturer!
Old 04-06-13, 09:38 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The back reminds me of a Lincoln town car.
Old 04-07-13, 07:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't see that at all...
Old 04-07-13, 07:51 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

There is only one good looking Cadillac in my opinion. (Besides the cars they made pre1970)

09-pres Cadillac CTS-V

I think all the new stuff looks like they are trying too hard.

This thread also has nothing to do with a 4GS Lexus... Off to Car chat.
Old 04-08-13, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
While the front is stunningly beautiful - the rear looks like they can't figure out if they want this car to appeal to a "younger" or "older" demographic.
What difference does it make, as long as it sells? This whole buisness of trying to appeal to so-called "younger" audiences has got automakers essentially running around in circles.

The CTS is a sport sedan - the XTS is a luxury sedan.
I've test-driven them both. The XTS, by my standards, would be considered a luxury/sport sedan. The lighter weight, firmed-up suspension, lower-profile, and noticeably stiffer ride (even with the Magna-Ride Comfort-setting) no longer qualifies it to be a true luxury sedan the way the DTS was. The XTS interior, though, is quite impressive...outside of the complex, distrating CUE system.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-08-13 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I agree, the XTS is not an LS type ride.
Old 04-08-13, 04:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

XTS is a good name. Wish they didn't waste it on the vehicle they produced. I'd prefer they'd have saved it for a true RWD flagship. Rumormill suggests one is in the works but still far from production
Old 04-08-13, 05:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually quite liked the XTS. Very high quality, very nice interior. My issue with it though was that it didn't ride like a large luxury cruiser, yet it's too big and too FWD to really be a sport sedan, so it was sort of a question as to what one was trading the ride in for.

It's also expensive, at $60k+ well optioned there are better options.
Old 04-08-13, 05:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I actually quite liked the XTS. Very high quality, very nice interior. My issue with it though was that it didn't ride like a large luxury cruiser, yet it's too big and too FWD to really be a sport sedan, so it was sort of a question as to what one was trading the ride in for.

I didn't say it was a bad vehicle. Just not a worthy of "Flagship" status vs other marques ie A8, S, 7, LS, XJ

Ultimately, for Cadillac to stake a claim to legitimate luxury, it must have an opulent, high-end sedan that would compete against the $92,350 Mercedes S-class, Sewell said.

“We’ve got a lot of people asking about an S-class competitor,” Sewell said. “But I don’t have a luxury sedan that fits a successful CEO of a Fortune 500 company. That’s what Cadillac needs if we really want to compete on a global level.”

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...king-hold.html
Old 04-08-13, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I agree, its not a flagship vehicle at the level of those cars.
Old 04-09-13, 09:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES

Very few cars remaining on the market today, even among flagships, actually do have a true luxo-cruiser ride. Perhaps the only remaining exceptions I can think of are the non-AMG Mercedes S and E-classes, and, to an extent, the non-F-Sport Lexus LS line. But even today's LS, though nice by today's standards, doesn't ride quite like its LS430 and LS400 predecessors did, which were true luxo-rides.

This has happened primarily because of the industry's continuing obsession with firmed-up suspensions/tires/steering systems and in discontinuing smooth-riding flagships like the Town Car, Lucerne, and DTS. Even on some cars with electronically-adjustable suspensions, it has paid a price in ride comfort.
Old 04-09-13, 09:55 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The current XTS is a stop gap measure IIRC, until a proper RWD Omega platform flagship is built.

The new CTS has a bigger problem than it's rear. They are moving it from it's tweener position (between compact and mid) to a a proper mid size platform, with the consequent price increase. No longer will you get a CTS with a bigger backseat and trunk for the price of 3 series.

How much will E class and 5 series buyers be willing to spend on a Caddy with a 4 banger base engine? BMW can get away with it, can Cadillac?

Quick Reply: Have we heard it all before? (New Cadillac)