Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Houston Lexus dealer gives customer a loaner thats reported stolen....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 05:59 AM
drnp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'm just curious as to how the loaner car was reported stolen in the police database. Maybe when a previous customer had it, the crook snatched the plate off it, and put the stole car plate on the loaner car. Or maybe somebody didn't return the loaner car and Sterling McCall reported it stolen to the police.

As for your VSC/TRAC light issue, you said the dealer did work on the brakes. I'm thinking they didn't plug back in an ABS sensor or damaged the wiring, thus the computer is reading a sensor is not working, thus setting off your light.
Thanks Aron, yes they did do alot of work on both sets of brakes. As for the loaner, basically, someone took out the loaner before me and didnt bring it back in time so the dealership reported it stolen. The guy brought it back the next day, and the dealer thought they reported it as recovered but the Houston Police dont have any record of the recovery, so it was going to get stopped by the police sooner or later, and it happened to be me.
Old 03-27-13, 06:10 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure exactly for your car, but when i get the VSC OFF and TRAC lights it is sometimes because of low brake fluid, low brake pads, or both. However this should be easy for you to check, especially for the brake fluid. Odd since they just serviced those parts but maybe it is related.
Old 03-27-13, 06:24 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone else said try the rx sub forum, they turned the case to the attorney? You have an arrest on your file now i would definatly talk to a laywer and sue them. This might back fire on you, you are in the newspaper thats crazy humiliating.
Old 03-27-13, 06:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you local to any auto parts store to have them scan for any codes? In IL its a free service and could be a quick way to find out what is going on rather then guess.

Another way to find out if your pressed for time is to disconnect your battery for an hour to clear out any codes and start the car up. If the codes come back it needs to be looked at. If it was something as simple as the gas cap then the codes may not come back. (assuming you feel confident/comfortable doing this)

Hope everything works out for you
Old 03-27-13, 06:52 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
As someone else said try the rx sub forum, they turned the case to the attorney? You have an arrest on your file now i would definatly talk to a laywer and sue them. This might back fire on you, you are in the newspaper thats crazy humiliating.
There wouldn't be an arrest on his record... He wasn't arrested. Just held. And never went before a magistrate
Old 03-27-13, 07:24 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the way they are acting and giving the cold shoulder when they are truly at fault, I'd be getting an attorney quick. Looks like you will have to drive a ways to see a dealer now so they can afford to pay the gas/time to do so.
Old 03-27-13, 08:03 AM
drnp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for replies everyone,
I am going to take it to an autozone or oreilys to get a code, will post here what it says in case others have the same issue in the future.
Old 03-27-13, 01:29 PM
drnp
Driver School Candidate

Took my car to Autozone, got 3 codes:
P0440: EVAP small leak/no flow condition
P0441: EVAP system incorrect purge flow
P0446: EVAP system vent control circuit

Big thanks to Wchain for pointing out probable cause is likely gas cap or the dealer didnt reconnect a hose when they replaced the air filter during the 90K service.
Old 03-27-13, 04:15 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drnp
Thanks Aron, yes they did do alot of work on both sets of brakes. As for the loaner, basically, someone took out the loaner before me and didnt bring it back in time so the dealership reported it stolen. The guy brought it back the next day, and the dealer thought they reported it as recovered but the Houston Police dont have any record of the recovery, so it was going to get stopped by the police sooner or later, and it happened to be me.
That's a hell of a way to treat a customer even if he didn't bring back the loaner car in time......
Old 03-28-13, 04:22 PM
drnp
Driver School Candidate

Just to tie a ribbon on this, I took my car to a local mechanic in my town called AutoMax and told him about the codes and asked him to look at the hoses to make sure they were connected properly after the air filter was replaced.
He asked me where I got the air filter replaced, and told him it was Sterling McCall, then he stared at me for a bit and asked if I was the guy on the news. I told him I was, and that since Sterling McCall wasn't returning any of my phone calls, I really needed someone else to help me with my car.
He asked me for my keys and popped the hood. He checked the EVAP hose and it was indeed not reconnected. He reset the lights and everything's working fine now. He said the guys at Sterling McCall probably just forgot to reconnect all the hoses and that my car should be fine. I asked him what I owed him and he said "nothing, I'm not going to charge you for hooking up a hose. Plus, I think it was time someone gave you good customer service."
I really appreciated it and was glad to be reminded that not every mechanic is out to get as much money as they can from people.

As for Sterling McCall Lexus, I did try to reach call them again today (they hadnt returned my call from Saturday), and I even got a Lexus Service Consultant to do a three way call so it was the rep in Torrance doing the actual calling. He left a message with Sterling McCall asking them to call me back by the end of the day, but alas there they again never called. So, in the end, I'm glad I didnt take their initial offer of a free oil change and screamed at them to comp the entire 90K service bill. They did release a statement to the press saying that they would work with me to find a compensation level agreeable to the both of us, but haven't called me back since the they made the release. They told Lexus corporate to butt out because they turned over everything to their lawyers, but I never even threatened to sue. I'm sorry I spent the last 10 years using all the Sterling McCall service centers in the city.

Thanks to everyone for their sympathy and great advice. Learning about getting the diagnosis codes from Autozone and finding a reputable mechanic closeby were definitely silver linings to all this. Plus, I never would have found this great forum.
Old 03-28-13, 05:02 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear, now you have one less item to worry about when you decide on how to put the squeeze on Sterling (if you choose).
Old 03-28-13, 05:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Glad it worked out! I'd take it to that guy who helped you out from now on.

What a story...
Old 03-28-13, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Crazy story and wow the guy joined!

Old 03-28-13, 07:46 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drnp
Just to tie a ribbon on this, I took my car to a local mechanic in my town called AutoMax and told him about the codes and asked him to look at the hoses to make sure they were connected properly after the air filter was replaced.
He asked me where I got the air filter replaced, and told him it was Sterling McCall, then he stared at me for a bit and asked if I was the guy on the news. I told him I was, and that since Sterling McCall wasn't returning any of my phone calls, I really needed someone else to help me with my car.
He asked me for my keys and popped the hood. He checked the EVAP hose and it was indeed not reconnected. He reset the lights and everything's working fine now. He said the guys at Sterling McCall probably just forgot to reconnect all the hoses and that my car should be fine. I asked him what I owed him and he said "nothing, I'm not going to charge you for hooking up a hose. Plus, I think it was time someone gave you good customer service."
I really appreciated it and was glad to be reminded that not every mechanic is out to get as much money as they can from people.

As for Sterling McCall Lexus, I did try to reach call them again today (they hadnt returned my call from Saturday), and I even got a Lexus Service Consultant to do a three way call so it was the rep in Torrance doing the actual calling. He left a message with Sterling McCall asking them to call me back by the end of the day, but alas there they again never called. So, in the end, I'm glad I didnt take their initial offer of a free oil change and screamed at them to comp the entire 90K service bill. They did release a statement to the press saying that they would work with me to find a compensation level agreeable to the both of us, but haven't called me back since the they made the release. They told Lexus corporate to butt out because they turned over everything to their lawyers, but I never even threatened to sue. I'm sorry I spent the last 10 years using all the Sterling McCall service centers in the city.

Thanks to everyone for their sympathy and great advice. Learning about getting the diagnosis codes from Autozone and finding a reputable mechanic closeby were definitely silver linings to all this. Plus, I never would have found this great forum.
Good to know there are honest, classy people still out there. Sorry again that you had to go through this.

I would appreciate it if you would keep us updated on any resolution with Sterling McCall. I would frankly keep bugging Lexus corporate about it, but of course that's up to you.