Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Houston Lexus dealer gives customer a loaner thats reported stolen....

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 04:41 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Houston Lexus dealer gives customer a loaner thats reported stolen....

http://www.click2houston.com/news/De...z/-/index.html
Old 03-26-13, 07:33 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

To hell with that dealership, I would NEVER go back.
Old 03-26-13, 09:27 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

He better get free oil change & maintenance for life in that dealership.......
Old 03-26-13, 09:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what do you expect in GHETTO Houston....
Old 03-26-13, 09:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

What a headache
Old 03-26-13, 01:02 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, that's a HUGE mistake
Old 03-26-13, 03:42 PM
drnp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That was me

Hello everyone, I am actually the person in the news story. Thanks for the post Wchain. I found this site because I was looking for an answer to what is wrong with my car. I'll refrain from any commentary on the police thing, as I've said my piece to Fox 26 and click2Houston.

Here is the basic issue:
My car is a 2002 RX 300, low mileage. It was working fine, but was getting close to 90K miles so I took it in for service at about 89.8K. (I'm pretty rigid about regular servicing, the car has never missed an oil change or service). After drop off, got the call from consultant saying they looked it over and in addition to the service, it needed new brakes on the rear pair, re-surfacing on the front pair, and a new drive belt. I said OK to all of that.

Fast forward over the trip to the dealership and my welcome when I got there.

When I drove it home, it seemed fine, but within less than 200 miles (actually before it even hit 90K), the check engine light, TRAC off, and VSC warning lights all came on at the same time and they haven't turned off. I haven't refilled the tank since the service, but I tightened the gas cap anyway, and the lights still come on as soon as I start the car and they don't come off. I looked them up in the manual and it says if those lights are on, I should take it to the dealer.
Anyone know what's going on? I realize it could be a lot of things and its hard to tell unless someone is looking at it, but any advice would be appreciated. I know I got to take it in somewhere, but I'm kind of turned off dealers right now so if someone knows of another place in Houston where I could take it, that would be great. Or, if you have another Lexus dealer you use (or specific service consultant) in Houston you could recommend, I would be grateful.
Old 03-26-13, 05:04 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depends on what the service entailed.

Unless they opened up your engine then the check engine, TRAC off, and VSC light coming up could be very much unrelated. Unless of course, they did something wrong with the oil change like forgetting to put oil in after taking the dirty one out.

I would probably take it to another dealer and get their diagnosis without giving them your back story and see if there is any correlation between what is wrong now vs what got serviced.
Old 03-26-13, 06:32 PM
drnp
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Mikez
Old 03-26-13, 10:27 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by drnp
Hello everyone, I am actually the person in the news story. Thanks for the post Wchain. I found this site because I was looking for an answer to what is wrong with my car. I'll refrain from any commentary on the police thing, as I've said my piece to Fox 26 and click2Houston.

Here is the basic issue:
My car is a 2002 RX 300, low mileage. It was working fine, but was getting close to 90K miles so I took it in for service at about 89.8K. (I'm pretty rigid about regular servicing, the car has never missed an oil change or service). After drop off, got the call from consultant saying they looked it over and in addition to the service, it needed new brakes on the rear pair, re-surfacing on the front pair, and a new drive belt. I said OK to all of that.

Fast forward over the trip to the dealership and my welcome when I got there.

When I drove it home, it seemed fine, but within less than 200 miles (actually before it even hit 90K), the check engine light, TRAC off, and VSC warning lights all came on at the same time and they haven't turned off. I haven't refilled the tank since the service, but I tightened the gas cap anyway, and the lights still come on as soon as I start the car and they don't come off. I looked them up in the manual and it says if those lights are on, I should take it to the dealer.
Anyone know what's going on? I realize it could be a lot of things and its hard to tell unless someone is looking at it, but any advice would be appreciated. I know I got to take it in somewhere, but I'm kind of turned off dealers right now so if someone knows of another place in Houston where I could take it, that would be great. Or, if you have another Lexus dealer you use (or specific service consultant) in Houston you could recommend, I would be grateful.
Wow what a story, I just heard about it. Sorry that you had to go through that ordeal. I was just there last week during a quick visit to Houston. It's a shame this mixup even happened. The folks at Sterling are very nice, like all the Texas dealers I visted.

As for your VSC/TRAC lights going off, they could be a number of things, or it could be as simple as an unplugged wire. The fault code needs to be read in order to trace back the issue. I know this may sound a bit forward, but since Sterling McCall was the dealer that performed all this work you should give them a chance to let them fix what they started. The work done to your car is usually warranted for 30 days or 1,000 miles, this is usually highlighted somewhere on your service invoice.

As for dealers in your area, there are 4 in Houston. Each dealership group owns 2 in town. The next closest option would either be in the DFW area (there are 4 there as well owned by 2 different auto dealer groups) or you can make the drive out to Austin or San Antonio to each of the dealers out there. I would at least talk to Sterling to see what they could do for you.

Good luck and hope your issue gets resolved soon.
Old 03-26-13, 11:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I know it's apples and oranges, my car being a 92 LS, but I remember when I changed my ECT sensor and put it all back together, i was getting traction control and check engine lights, and the car had no *****. Turns out I forgot to reconnect a vacuum line.

Odds are it's something really simple that they forgot to put back together. A wire, sensor, or hose probably.
Old 03-27-13, 12:06 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I know I got to take it in somewhere, but I'm kind of turned off dealers right now so if someone knows of another place in Houston where I could take it, that would be great. Or, if you have another Lexus dealer you use (or specific service consultant) in Houston you could recommend, I would be grateful.
Sorry for your bad experience. I actually got service at Sterling McCall when I was living in Houston, although I never got a loaner from them.

I would recommend possibly starting a new thread in the RX300 forum to try to get advice on your issue.

Northside/Westside Lexus are also options for service. I actually thought the service center at Westside was nicer, but I went to Sterling McCall because it was closer.
Old 03-27-13, 12:59 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm just curious as to how the loaner car was reported stolen in the police database. Maybe when a previous customer had it, the crook snatched the plate off it, and put the stole car plate on the loaner car. Or maybe somebody didn't return the loaner car and Sterling McCall reported it stolen to the police.

As for your VSC/TRAC light issue, you said the dealer did work on the brakes. I'm thinking they didn't plug back in an ABS sensor or damaged the wiring, thus the computer is reading a sensor is not working, thus setting off your light.
Old 03-27-13, 05:25 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello everyone, I am actually the person in the news story. I'll refrain from any commentary on the police thing, as I've said my piece to Fox 26 and click2Houston.
I woulda held out for Lilly Jang @ KHOU......OMG
Old 03-27-13, 05:56 AM
drnp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909

As for your VSC/TRAC lights going off, they could be a number of things, or it could be as simple as an unplugged wire. The fault code needs to be read in order to trace back the issue. I know this may sound a bit forward, but since Sterling McCall was the dealer that performed all this work you should give them a chance to let them fix what they started. The work done to your car is usually warranted for 30 days or 1,000 miles, this is usually highlighted somewhere on your service invoice.

Good luck and hope your issue gets resolved soon.
Hi flipside,
Actually, I left a message with the GM at Sterling McCall on Saturday when my wife told me about the lights, and he never returned my call. I had just spoken to him literally 5 mins before on that number so I know he was in his office on Sat. Lexus corporate in Torrance called me on Monday to say that they couldnt talk to the dealer anymore about this because the dealer had turned over my matter to their attorneys. I never threatened to sue them, but I think they did it because I went to the media on Monday afternoon. So, I don't know if I'll hear from them and I didnt want to wait to get the car fixed because we really need two working cars for our family to function. Thanks for your help and kind words,

Quick Reply: Houston Lexus dealer gives customer a loaner thats reported stolen....