Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2013 Lincoln MKZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

Great review as always Mike!
Thanks, Bob.

Lincoln (and Cadillac) recognized several years ago that their target demographic was aging
Age, though, really isn't an issue. Traditional Cadillac and Lincoln buyers have lots of disposable income to spend on a new car. In many cases, that does not change with age, but actually gets larger. And when the WWII generation passes off (as is happening now), the enormous Baby Boom generation, already or just past the peak of their money-earning years, is going to take their place.

I know one woman, for instance (a retired Army general) who traded for a brand-new DeVille/DTS every September like clockwork, when the new ones came out, for almost 50 years.....until the year before she passed away. She always made a point of getting the latest new color.

- and departing this mortal realm . . . but until recently they weren't doing anything about it. They needed to attract a "younger" demo, not exactly teens and twenty-somethings
I guess it's hard to explain the fact, then, that both me and my closest friend in high-school (age 17) liked big full-sized American luxury cars. My dad, for example, worked for the old Philco-Ford company (which you may remember) when he retired from the Army, and used to bring home big company-owned Lincoln Continentals and Mercury Marquis at night. He'd toss me the keys (he knew I was generally a responsible, sensible young driver), and I'd put a couple bucks' worth of premium leaded gas in the tank, take them out for a little ride, and (yes) enjoy the comfort.

, but forty -ish and older citizens were raised in the era of "downsized" cars rather than the wheeled aircraft carriers of the '50's. They wanted luxury, sure - but they expected at least a small amount of handling, braking, and accelerative properties baked into their sobersided sedan.
I agree.....you won't get any arguments from me there. But today's luxury-automakers have gone way beyond that, and are trying to make almost everything into sport (or semi-sport) sedans. Those who appreciate soft-ride comfort are being virtually ignored.

OK, you're not going to please everybody with a more modern take on the luxury car, but if you look at the sales numbers from Mercedes, BMW, and yes, Lexus among that older, better-able-to-afford luxury car demographic, you'll see probably 85%+ of your market.
Problem is.....the traditional Lincoln and Cadillac buyers weren't buying German luxury-cars,( though some of them were converted to the Lexus LS series). The fact that both Cadillac and Lincoln have (now) abandoned their smooth-riding flagships may (now) force those traditional Town Car/DTS buyers either into used Town Car / DTS models, or, if they have the money for it, the expensive Mercedes S500, which still does have a silky ride. Either way, both Cadillac and Lincoln lose......sales of their new models will be affected.

Trust me, if you go down the road peering under the steering wheel and drooling, you're probably not a candidate for ANY car, let alone a new luxo-barge. Lincoln and Caddy have erased them from their target demo - finally . . . and are building cars for the rest of us. So we're showing a good deal of gray hair, and maybe we don't fold up into a tiny sportscar like we used to, but we haven't lost our tactile senses that determine that engineering and refinement are part of our idea of luxury.
I don't think, Bob, that either you or me, despite the fact that we're not spring chickens, go down the road drooling or with the turn-signals perpetually on. I can still jump into virtually anything today with four wheels and drive it...providing, of course, that I can deal with the ever-increasing complexity of the video-screens and electronics. It's the Star-Wars video-screens that are going to get us, more than simple age.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 11:04 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I guess it's hard to explain the fact, then, that both me and my closest friend in high-school (age 17) liked big full-sized American luxury cars. My dad, for example, worked for the old Philco-Ford company (which you may remember) when he retired from the Army, and used to bring home big company-owned Lincoln Continentals and Mercury Marquis at night. He'd toss me the keys (he knew I was generally a responsible, sensible driver), and I'd put a couple bucks' worth of premium leaded gas in the tank, take them out for a little ride, and (yes) enjoy the comfort.
Entirely different era with entirely different offerings available and market demands.
Old 03-22-13, 11:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Ford/Lincoln has stated that they're slower getting the cars to dealers than ideally planned. Because of recent recalls of the Fusion and Escape, Lincoln was shipping a lot of the built units from Mexico up to Michigan for another round of quality checks before sending them back out to dealers. This is obviously time intensive and costly. But they said they'd rather have this than announce quick recalls on another new model.
Almost an oxymoron. They build the vehicles in Mexico (presumably) to save money on materials and labor-rates, then turn around and spend the money saved bringing them back to Michigan....where they could probably have built them in the first place. The Detroit area, in particular, has been depressed and deteriorating for years, begging for jobs and money.
Old 03-22-13, 11:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Entirely different era with entirely different offerings available and market demands.
I agree. There is no turning back the clock. Times and tastes change. They always have and always will.
Old 03-22-13, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
There is no turning back the clock.
There isn't?

Old 03-22-13, 01:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

There isn't?

Nice specialty cars. Always room for retro there. Mainstream no turning back.
Old 03-22-13, 01:32 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There isn't?
Design wise perhaps, but they definitely don't drive the way the old models did, and that's a good thing.

And an update about their production/quality routing:
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. has stopped routing redesigned Lincoln MKZ sedans from their Mexico assembly plant to a Michigan factory for quality inspections and repairs, Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas, said today.

The inspections, first disclosed by Ford on Feb. 1, had delayed deliveries of the brand's top-selling car by putting an extra logistical step into shipments.

Dealers have been left without MKZs while ads on the Super Bowl and other high-profile venues touted the new 2013 model and the revival of the Lincoln Motor Co.

Hinrichs said finished MKZs are flowing more freely now and dealer stocks should be at normal levels by March 31. "There will be large shipments arriving," he told reporters today. He said the backlog of MKZs at the Michigan plant, in Flat Rock, is close to being eliminated.

"That car has been getting up to more normal levels," Hinrichs said. "Sales have been increasing over the last week."

Parts shortages, Ford issues

Hinrichs said some parts shortages had hampered the launch, causing Ford to set aside some early production vehicles.

But Hinrichs said he didn't want to blame suppliers. "We had our own internal issues, too," he said. Quality expectations for the 2013 MKZ were "the highest I've ever been part of. It took us awhile to get our own processes right."

Hinrichs praised the Hermosillo, Mexico, plant, saying it had "come off a very aggressive launch of the Fusion and right into the MKZ, where expectations were even higher" because the MKZ was so important to the relaunch of the Lincoln brand.

Lincoln trumpeted the MKZ as a contemporary, stylish, distinctly American sedan that would appeal to young, hip customers dissatisfied with German luxury brands.

Lincoln advertised the car during the Super Bowl and Grammy Awards, stoking demand. But the quality issues and the rerouting of cars to Flat Rock slowed the flow of cars during the launch to a trickle. By some counts, cars now arriving at dealerships are four months' late.

Sales tumble

The MKZ was Lincoln's top-selling vehicle last year, at 28,053 U.S. sales. With only a few 2013 MKZs in the pipeline and most 2012s sold off, Lincoln sales fell 18 percent to 4,191 in January, the lowest month since at least 1984, which is as far back as Automotive News' monthly records go.

In February, Lincoln sales fell 29 percent to 4,883. Lincoln's all-time peak sales year was 1990 with 231,660.
Old 03-23-13, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And an update about their production/quality routing:
Ford Motor Co. has stopped routing redesigned Lincoln MKZ sedans from their Mexico assembly plant to a Michigan factory for quality inspections and repairs, Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas, said today.

The inspections, first disclosed by Ford on Feb. 1, had delayed deliveries of the brand's top-selling car by putting an extra logistical step into shipments.

Dealers have been left without MKZs while ads on the Super Bowl and other high-profile venues touted the new 2013 model and the revival of the Lincoln Motor Co.

Hinrichs said finished MKZs are flowing more freely now and dealer stocks should be at normal levels by March 31. "There will be large shipments arriving," he told reporters today. He said the backlog of MKZs at the Michigan plant, in Flat Rock, is close to being eliminated.

"That car has been getting up to more normal levels," Hinrichs said. "Sales have been increasing over the last week."
In the D.C. area where I am, there is some stock available but not currently in huge numbers. Even when more MKZ's do arrive, however, I'm not sure just how well they are going to sell. It's not that the MKZ is that bad a car (trust me, I've reviewed and driven much worse), but it does have a number of quirks and questionable designs, and, in comparison, the less-expensive Ford Fusion avoids many of those quirks. When prospective customers go to a Ford/Lincoln shop (most Lincoln franchises, now that Mercury is gone, co-sell at selected Ford shops) and compare or cross-shop the Fusion and MKZ, my strong guess is that the vast majority of them, unless they simply want a Lincoln product for the sake of the nameplate, are going to take home a Fusion. But, as I mentioned before, the MKZ hybrid, with its relatively bargain price, could (?) be an exception to that pattern.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-23-13 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-23-13, 04:15 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really don't understand how people think MYLincoln touch is confusing or hard to use. For the phone you touch the phone section, for Nav you touch the Nav section, for entertainment you touch the entertainment section and for the climate controls you touch the climate area. Could somebody please tell me how this is confusing? Every review I read the reviewer say MYLincoln touch is hard to use.
Old 03-23-13, 04:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dc893
I really don't understand how people think MYLincoln touch is confusing or hard to use. For the phone you touch the phone section, for Nav you touch the Nav section, for entertainment you touch the entertainment section and for the climate controls you touch the climate area. Could somebody please tell me how this is confusing? Every review I read the reviewer say MYLincoln touch is hard to use.
I've never tried the system, but you are correct just about every review mentions it. With Lincoln they cater to an older buyer, so maybe that's some of the reason - But the same things have been said about Ford's version whcih has a wider buyer base.

Ford has made some changes so there must be some merit to the negative press.
Old 03-24-13, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK...I'll give you my take on it, then. I find not only the Ford/Lincoln systems, but just about every system like this complex and confusing ...that includes CUE, I-Drive, MMI, Mercedes-Command, Infiniti-controller, etc....

They may not be all that bad on an arrow-straight mult-lane road with little or no traffic or hazards, but in congested areas, winding roads, or roadsize hazards, you sometimes have to take your eyes off the road long enough that it's an accident waiting to happen. Not only that, but on bumpy roads, when your finger touches the screen, it can be jerked over to a blank-space or the next icon which you didn't want. You also often have to navigate through a number of different (and often unfamiliar) menus to do even simple things like change station-settings or adjust the car's clock....which, for decades, could be done with a simple twist of a dash-**** or a push of a radio-button. I personally think that the main problem behind these systems is that they are just trying to cram too many different electronic functions into one vehicle. Automobiles, IMO, are machines meant to drive....not to be mobile electronic work-stations, call-phone-centers, Music-downloaders, Internet-surfers, texters, and the thousand and one other electronic distractions that they, today, have become.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 06:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

OK...I'll give you my take on it, then. I find not only the Ford/Lincoln systems, but just about every system like this complex and confusing ...that includes CUE, I-Drive, MMI, Mercedes-Command, Infiniti-controller, etc....

They may not be all that bad on an arrow-straight mult-lane road with little or no traffic or hazards, but in congested areas, winding roads, or roadsize hazards, you sometimes have to take your eyes off the road long enough that it's an accident waiting to happen. Not only that, but on bumpy roads, when your finger touches the screen, it can be jerked over to a blank-space or the next icon which you didn't want. You also often have to navigate through a number of different (and often unfamiliar) menus to do even simple things like change station-settings or adjust the car's clock....which, for decades, could be done with a simple twist of a dash-**** or a push of a radio-button. I personally think that the main problem behind these systems is that they are just trying to cram too many different electronic functions into one vehicle. Automobiles, IMO, are machines meant to drive....not to be mobile electronic work-stations, call-phone-centers, Music-downloaders, Internet-surfers, texters, and the thousand and one other electronic distractions that they, today, have become.
i think your perspective partly comes from the fact that you review so many different vehicles with different systems that you never become familiar with any of them. if someone buys a car they will become used to the parts they regularly need/want, and most drivers will not even bother to learn any other functions. i've observed this behavior over and over.

some systems are genuinely terrible but most just need some time to get familiar and at least functional with.
Old 03-24-13, 07:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

it gets bad reviews not just because they think it is hard to use, it is full of bugs and slow. Thats why it lowers Ford ratings with surveys, other manufacturers have had touch screen for decades, but not ones that reboot during drive which causes A/C to go into full cold mode at maximum speed in winter (true story :-)
Old 03-24-13, 07:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think your perspective partly comes from the fact that you review so many different vehicles with different systems that you never become familiar with any of them. if someone buys a car they will become used to the parts they regularly need/want, and most drivers will not even bother to learn any other functions. i've observed this behavior over and over.

some systems are genuinely terrible but most just need some time to get familiar and at least functional with.
That's true to some extent, but take Buick's Intellink video-system, for example. I've had my Verano for eight months now, and, even after this long a time, it is still a PITA if you accidentally get it mixed up. Two or three times, I've had to go deep into the system to reset the AM, FM and satellite stations I regularly listen to when my settings accidentally got unschackled by hitting just one wrong icon. Not only that, but every time I gas up (roughly, with city/suburban drving, at 200-mile intervals), I have to reset both trip odometers, the Average Speed, Average Fuel Economy, Instantaneous Fuel Economy, and other MPG-related functions in the trip computer. Some, like Distance-to-Empty, reset automatically, but you have to clear out the others yourself.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Intellink system, or the sometimes-stubborn-chattering wiper-arms, or the firmer-than-necessary 45-series tires, make me sorry I bought the car.....nothing of the sort. If I had to do it again, I'd so it in a second........this is a real gem of a compact car. But the Verano doesn't have anywhere near the number of design-quirks that the MKZ has inside. Some of the annoyances I found with the MKZ, especially in the interior hardware, are things that I probably wouldn't change my mind on with time.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-24-13 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 07:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it gets bad reviews not just because they think it is hard to use, it is full of bugs and slow. Thats why it lowers Ford ratings with surveys, other manufacturers have had touch screen for decades, but not ones that reboot during drive which causes A/C to go into full cold mode at maximum speed in winter (true story :-)
Touch-icons aren't necessarily a problem on smooth roads (if you can figure them out). But on bumpy roads, especially with today's stiffer suspensions /tires, you can be reaching for one icon and end up having your hand/finger bumped to the one right next to it instead. The smaller the icons are and the closer they are crammed together, of course, the more likely that is to happen.