Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2013 Lincoln MKZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-13, 01:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default MM Full-Review: 2013 Lincoln MKZ

A Review of the new 2013 Lincoln MKZ.

http://www.lincoln.com/cars/mkz/

IN A NUTSHELL: Good chassis/drivetrain, but unless you opt for the relatively bargain-priced hybrid MKZ, save some cash and get the less-expensive Ford Fusion.

CLOSEST AMERICAN_MARKET COMPETITORS: Some, but not all versions of: Cadillac CTS/ATS, Buick LaCrosse, Lexus ES350 Infiniti G and M sedans, BMW 3 and 5-series, Audi A4/A6 sedans, Mercedes C/E-Class, Chrysler 300, and Acura TL/RLX. (The upcoming 2014 Chevrolet Impala, despite the lower-line Chevrolet nameplate, is also quite plush and impressive, and might be considered a possible future competitor)

(Charcoal Black Leather)

(Light Dune Leather)

OVERVIEW:

Smaller, mid-sized Lincoln sedans, of course, are nothing new to the marketplace. In the 1970s, Lincoln, partly in response to Cadillac's downsized Seville model (which itself was introduced in response to the growing popularity of Mercedes in this country), introduced the Versailles, which was done on the same compact-to-mid-size platform used by the Ford Granada and Mercury Monarch. Though somewhat copy-cat, and not very innovative nor successful in the marketplace, it was, nevertheless, a decent small luxury-car.....certainly better than the ill-fated Cadillac Cimarron which was to follow a few years later, which was a complete disaster. I can remember test-driving a Cimarron in 1981, with its anemic 1.8L, 88 HP carburated four, and, even in light traffic, almost walking back to the dealership quicker. It could barely get out of its own way. My, how time flies....with this new Lincoln MKZ and its responsive 2.0 Turbo, which is not much bigger than that old 1.8L...but we'll get to that more below.

Later, in 1999, Lincoln introduced the LS mid-size model, a well-respected car, with Consumer Reports, I remember, at the time, saying that they felt it was the best American-badged vehicle they had tested to date. I test-drove a couple of LS models, and, while it wasn't exactly my cup of tea (I thought that the sound-insulation and body-solidness could have been better-done) I did have respect for much of the engineering that went into it. Lincoln, however, IMO, made two major errors with the car's marketing. First, it was only offered with RWD....AWD would have to wait for the future MKZ. Second, the LS had been introduced specifically as an American-nameplate alternative to the rapidly-growing popularity of the excellent BMW 5-series, so both V6 and V8 engines were offered.....the V6, like the BMW 5-series in-line 6, even came in a 5-speed manual version. But, unlike the V6 and 5MT, Lincoln, despite intense criticism from the auto-press and a number of prospective enthusiast buyers, never offered the V8 with a 5-speed manual like the 5-series did (the car which it was specifically designed to compete with). Lincoln marketers, strangely, never fully explained that omission, and, instead of giving the V8 the 5-speed manual it needed, they turned around and dropped the LS line a few years later.....a real shame, IMO.

I never have, and probably never will, understand auto marketers.....often the bane of my existance. In my book, they are some of the strangest, most irrational people on this planet, often defying simple common sense. Yet they typically make big cororate salaries and benefits that many Americans can only dream of. Go Figure

Anyhow....enough venting. You guys don't want to read a bunch of griping, but an auto-review. So....on to the MKZ. The first-generation MKZ, like the original Versailles back in the 1970s, shared a common (but not simply rebadged) platform with its mid-sized, lower-priced Ford and Mercury cousins...the Fusion and Milan. In a number of ways, it was what the MKZ could have been (and maybe should have been) and wasn't. It had good reliability (something the LS often lacked), Lincoln-plush interior/trim, and, despite the reasonably good standard FWD traction, an AWD option for bad weather. Its ride and noise-level, IMO, weren't quite up to Lincoln standards (we were already starting, even then, to see the mass-conversion of the auto industry to firmer-riding tires/suspensons), and it wasn't what I would consider a true luxury car. The Fusion, partly due to Consumer Reports and partly word-of-mouth with good owner experience, quickly developed an excellent reputation in the marketplace. The Milan, despite its admitted popularity, never sold in the Fusion's big numbers, and, of course, bit the dust with the whole Mercury division a few years ago. Second-generation models were introduced that, while incorporating some noticeable diffrences, were basically just refreshes and facelifts from the first-generation.

So now, for 2013, comes the all-new third-generation models, and, yes, I DO mean all-new. The Milan, of course, is gone, but both the Fusion and MKZ are totally re-designed. European versions of the Fusion will be called (as in the past) the Mondeo, and, this time, unlike past introductions, we Americans get the new Fusion first before its Mondeo Euro-version is introduced. The new Fusion, IMO, is a stunning car. I had a very good experience test-driving a Fusion hybrid several weeks ago, and I was highly impressed with it. Unlike with the first and second generation models, I think that, in many ways, the new Fusion is a better buy than its new MKZ cousin, which has a number of quirks.....but we'll get to more of that later.

For 2013, American-market MKZ models, rather than with formal trim-levels, are classed by drivetrain-type.....FWD, AWD, or Hybrid. FWD and AWD models come with a 6-speed automatic Sport-Shift transmission and choice of standard 2.0 Turbo Ecoboost with 240 HP/270 ft-lbs. of torque, or optional 3.7L V6 with 300 HP/277 ft-lbs. of torque. Hybrid models use a non-turbo Atkinson-cycle 2.0L gas-powered four and a permanent-magnet AC electric motor, along with a 1.4Kwh Hybrid battery-pack and a CVT (Continuously-Variable Transmission). HP/torque for the electric motor is not published on the website, and the 188 HP/129 ft-lbs. of torque listed for the gas engine may (?) be a misprint. The Hybrid model shares the same base price ($35,925) as the base 2.0T FWD model (unusual in the world of auto-marketing), which, IMO, makes it a relative bargain, especially with any tax-credits still offered. 2.0T AWD models start at $37,815. V6 models run from $37,155 for FWD to $39,045 for AWD.

For the review, I picked a sharp-looking 2.0T AWD model in Tuxedo Black with a warm-looking Hazelnut (Brown) non-perforated leather seats. For several reasons, I don't usually care for black cars, even though I review them, but this Tuxedo Black was interesting (and very well-done). It was a basic black, but had tiny speckles mixed in of what appeared to be silver and/or gold, somewhat like the classic Black/Gold Saturn paint jobs of 15-20 years ago.

Unfortunately, though the power train, chassis-engineering, and paint job seemed well-done, the rest of the car, especially inside, did not impress me much at all. I had a rather cold (but not rude) conversation with the Lincoln reps about the MKZ at the recent D.C. Auto Show, too, basically agreeing to review it and test-drive it at their request. Their position was (and, to an extent, I agree) don't pan it until you drive it. That's basically why I'm doing this review...to keep my word. Well, I've formally checked it out now thouroughly, and, despite some good features, it still doesn't impress me that much. Neither did the new Cadillac XTS flagship, which I actually drove at the show at Cadillac's suggestion, though the short test-drive circuit there on the city streets is admittedly not much of a test. In fact, overall, except maybe for the MKZ hybrid, I think its less-expensive cousin, the stunning and quite impressive new Ford Fusion, is probably a better buy overall than the MKZ. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2013 Lincoln MKZ AWD 2.0T

BASE PRICE: $37,815

OPTIONS:

Equipment Group 101A: $1100

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $875 (about average for a car in this class)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $39,790

DRIVETRAIN: AWD, transversely-mounted 2.0L turbocharged Ecoboost in-line four, 6-speed
Sport-Shift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 22 City / 31 Highway / 25 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Tuxedo Black Metallic

INTERIOR: Hazelnut (Brown) Unperforated Leather

PLUSSES:

Responsive 2.0L Turbo engine.....even with AWD.

Engine refined at lower RPMs...buts gets noisier as RPMs build.

No-sponge, right-now responsive brakes.

Relatively quick steering response.

Flat, no-roll cornering (the flattest I've ever seen with a Lincoln).

Firm, reasonably smooth (but not a Town Car) ride.

Generally good road-noise control.

Nice hood strut instead of a manual prop-rod.

So-so underhood layout...but not bad for a luxury car.

Well-done paint job.

Generally nice, plush-feeling Interior trim materials.

Good front-seat headroom with the seat-cushion adjusted down.

Convex side-mirror inserts help blind-spot vision.

Turn-signal indicators in the side-mirrors.

Relatively nice, well-carpeted cargo area.

Rear seats fold for added cargo space.

Hybrid version relatively bargain-priced.

Previous 1Gen and 2Gen versions were generally reliable (FWD more so than AWD).

Relatively generous 6/70 and 4/50 warranties up to most luxury-car standards.

MINUSES:

Transmission shifts reasonably smooth, but not as silky as Cadillac and Lexus competitors.

Side mirrors, IMO, much too small (but the convex inserts help)

Odd-looking (IMO) wing-like grille and headlights.

Wind noise control OK, but not up to luxury-car standards.

Quirky, dash-mounted transmission-shift buttons.

Cheap, flimsy-feeling outside door-handle action despite the thick-diameter plastic.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Classic fastback rear roofline cuts into rear headroom and entry/exit.

Uncomfortable (for me), relatively hard-to-adjust drivers'seat headrest.

Ice-rink slippery, unsupportive front leather seats.

Awkward, under-dash electronic parking-brake tab.

Hard-to-reach power-mirror switches.

Cheap-looking/feeling black-plastic column paddle-shifters.

MY-TOUCH computer-screen complex and awkward.

Somewhat awkward finger-touch/slide climate/stereo sensors need getting used to.

Relatively small trunk opening for its decent cargo-volume.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the new MKZ, the front-end, with its swept-up grille, is recognizably a Lincoln product, though the overall effect is different. The old smiley-vertical tooth-bars (which looked like a grinning teen-ager showing of a new set of dental-braces) has been exchanged for a new, mildly upswept/horizontal, wing-like effect to the grille and headlights.....somewhat less-garish than before, but still a little out of the ordinary. The sheet-metal solidness seems OK, and the paint job is quite well-done, especially in the Tuxedo Black on my test-car and the extra-cost Ruby-Red. There are generally eight exterior colors offered (several of them at extra cost), but they may differ by model and region. (most of them, as usual for luxury-cars, are also way too dull for my tastes). Despite the thick, hefty physical size of the plastic exterior door-handles, they have a cheap, flimsy feel to their grip/pull-operation. The exterior side-mirrors generally swivel/lock with a reasonably solid feel (better than with many past Ford/Lincoln models), have handy integrated turn-signal indicators, and a small convex-lens insert for blind-spot coverage. Those inserts are sorely needed, though, as the mirrors are quite small in size, and otherwise don't cover much area. As is usual these days, there are no body-side mouldings to help protect against parking-lot dings.....though, fortunately, some new Chevrolet products are now starting to put them back on at the factory. The low, slanted roofline that tapers towards the rear (on the MKZ, it has more of a classic fastback look than the more-common humpback-whale shape) cuts into both rear-headroom and the size of the trunk-opening....more on that later.

UNDERHOOD:

Open up the fairly sold-feeling hood, and a nice single gas-strut, on the right, holds up the hood for you. Two struts, of course, would probably last longer and not weaken or wear out as quick, but at least it's not one of those El Cheapo manual prop-rods, which I've seen on some vehicles (yes, from Ford) costing as much as $50,000. On the underside of the hood is a nice insulation pad that muffles a least some of the turbo four's racket, especially at idle. The 2.0L EcoBoost turbo four-cylinder (2.0L turbos seem to be becoming quite popular with a number of automakers)generally fits in pretty well. The underhood layout is not the best I've seen, but is not bad by the typical frustrating luxury-car standards. A big black "EcoBoost" plastic engine-cover blocks access to almost all of the top-engine components, but some of the other components are reachable around the front, sides, and back of the block. The battery is located well-back on the right, partly hidden under a lip in the firewall, but at least the front part is open and exposed, with no annoying battery-cover. All of the dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are generally easily accessable.

INTERIOR:

Probably the car's worst feature. IMO, there are a number of quirks and poor designs inside, though generally pleasant and good-quality trim-materials seem to have been used. The sun-visors and headliner are nicely-covered in soft fabric. The upper-dash and door-trim materials are likewise pleasant and soft-padded, and, including the Hazelnut-brown leather on my test-car, there is a reasonably nice color-choice. Headroom, without the optional sunroof, is OK in the front seat for tall persons. The stereo-sound quality is pretty good, though not quite to Mark Levinson standards.

But, aside from that, I wasn't impressed with much of anything else inside. I found the upper-headrest for the drivers' seat difficult to adjust and almost impossible to get into a comfortable position (It kept pressing into the back of my neck, no matter what I did to it...though I finally got it into a barely tolerable positon). Your butt, legs,and and torso slide all over the the slick leather front seats like an ice-rink. The small side-bolsters on the seats do virtually nothing. You really depend on the belt/harness assembly to hold you in place while sitting, though, of course, the MKZ is not intended for sports-car cornering or side-G forces. The very small electronic parking-brake tab, mounted too low under the left-dash, is awkward to reach and operate, and doesn't seem to flick naturally. The power-mirror switch is also mounted too low and too far away on the driver's door-ledge, and is also somewhat awkward to reach and operate. (the small side-mirrors don't tilt down in reverse automatically on some models, so you will use the switch a lot). The primary-gauges are generally clear-reading, but the center of the tach, on the left, is quite busy with a number of small figures crammed into it. The electronic shift-buttons for the transmission, on the left-center of the dash, are not only (IMO) quirky and gimicky, but a throwback to decades ago when some 60's- vintage Chrysler products had electro-mechancal shift- buttons on the dash, and the 1958 Edsel Citation had them in the center of the steering wheel (we all know, of course, what happened to the Edsels). And the Ford/Lincoln MYTouch and SYNC system in the center-dash, on the new MKZ, even without the NAV option, is even more complex and confusing than usual. Underneath the video-screen are several rows of built-in, horizontal chrome bars that are in effect, electronic finger-slide sensors....you slide a finger left/right to adjust things. (just try that on a bumpy road with your hand and finger bouncing around). And the inner latch/buckle assembly for the seat-belt/harness is mounted too low down inside the console-slot for easy-buckling.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the trunk (a power open/shut feature comes with some options/packages) and the relatively nice cargo-volume inside is more or less hindered by a relatively small trunk-opening....a direct result of the fastback, droop-down roofline cutting down on the size of trunk-lid. Still, while you clearly won't be able to haul home a new sofa or living-room chair (Lincoln will gladly sell you a new MKT or Navigator SUV for that), you will be able to get reasonably-sized packages and bags in the opening. And, once inside, your packages will ride along in relative comfort, resting their little tushes on nice carpeting covering both the trunk-floor and both of the walls. Under that nice carpeting on the floor, though, lies (yep, you guessed it)....another temporary spare tire. Lincoln's Roadside Assistance program, though, is petty generous, should you need it and not want to screw around with a flat tire
yourself.

ON THE ROAD:

After a number of problems both outside and inside, we come to some good news.....and, IMO, the car's best feature...is overall drivability. The MKZ, even with the 2.0 turbo, except for the quirky shift-buttons on the dash, is a relatively nice machine to pilot, and its German engineering shows. Start up the small turbo four with an electronic key-fob and a nice dash-mounted START/STOP button (similiar to the way the Buick Verano has its button integrated in the upper-dash), and it fires up and setles into a smooth, quiet, Lexus-like idle. Refinement continues through low-RPM accleration, and, like some of the 2.0L turbos from some other manufacturers, is quite responsive. There is easily enough torque, at low-to-moderate RPMs, without much turbo-lag, for this car to get out of its own way (I didn't spin the engine much past 4000 as it was brand-new). And that, of course, is with the weight/drag-adding AWD on my test car......FWD models will probably be even more reponsive. At the D.C. show, I was a little concerned about the ability of such a small engine in this size car. I'm now convinced....it can handle the job, though some buzziness starts as the RPM's climb past 3000-4000. The optional V6, though, would probably be more refined at all RPMs, and would probably be my choice.

I wasn't quite as impressed with the 6-speed Sport-shift transmission as with the engine, though, on my test-car, it shifted reasonably smooth. Still, it lacked some of the silky-smoothness of Cadiillac and Lexus units, and the cheap-feeling black-plastic shift-paddles on the steering-column, like in other Fords, didn't help much. Nor do the aformentioned, (IMO) quirky shift-buttons on the dash....similiar to those found decades ago on the early-mid-60s Chrysler products. (I initially learned to drive on a button-equipped 60s-vintage Plymouth). I didn't care for those electro-mechanical shift-buttons back then, and I still don't care for the all-electronic shift-buttons in today's MKZ....though I imagine that one would get used to them, like I did 45 years ago.

The chassis-engineering, IMO, is excellent...almost to BMW standards. The car tracks straight, steering response is quick and first-rate by luxury-car standards, and there is very little body-roll even with mildly-spirited input and cornering. These excellent road-manners, of course, are also shared with the Ford Fusion. The brake pedal responds strongly and immediately, with virtually no sponginess or free-play, and it is mounted in a reasonably good position to keep my big size-15 clown-shoe from catching on the side or bottom of it when lifting from gas to brake. Road noise is generally well-controlled, but there was some significant (but still low) wind-noise while driving on this relatively windy day (typical of the D.C. area in March).

THE VERDICT:

I admit that the MKZ would not be my first choice as an entry-level luxury-sedan, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad car. Like its Ford Fusion cousin, the handling and steering response is first rate....as is also braking response. The ride, for the level of handling offered, is reasonably comfortable. The reason for this, of course, is the German influence on its chassis engineering. Its ride/handling compromise, IMO, is actually better than some of its rivals....particularly the stiff-riding Infinitis. The paint job is also well-done. The 2.0 Turbo Ecotec four is responsive and refined at lower RPMs, though buzziness mounts with RPMs. The bargain-priced MKZ Hybrid is definitely worth a look, if one wants a hybrid enrty-level luxury-car at a non-hybrid price (and tax-credits, if applicable, to boot).

But inside, IMO, the MKZ is quirky and poorly-designed. The Ford/Lincoln MYTouch/SYNC systems are notoriously complex and the subject of many owner complaints. The parking-brake tab, power-mirror controls, button-sensor shifting, unsupportive Slip-O-Matic leather seats, uncomfortable hard-to-adjust headrests, quirky finger-brush sensors, and lack of rear headroom for tall persons all need work.

For less money and a better overall design, I honestly think that, for non-hybrid models, the Ford Fusion is probably a better buy for the money. And, at the MKZ's price-level, so are some of the MKZ's current entry-level luxury rivals, especially the Cadillac CTS, Lexus ES350 (though the new ES also has some disappointments) Buick LaCrosse, and Audi A4. The new 2013 Fusion shares a number of the MKZ's good points, while avoiding a number of its quirks.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM
................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 05:07 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the review. Still a huge fan, and excited to see how the upcoming MKC small ute shakes up the market. A smaller sub MKZ would be a welcome addition to the Lincoln line-up as well. Some good things are happening at Lincoln, but there is still much work to be had. That said, the MKS needs a major overhaul as it is no true flagship nor replacement for the Town Car. Next Navigator should be interesting, rumor mill I posted a few days ago said that only the EcoBoost 3.5 would make its way into the engine bay with a V8 being optional on the Expedition. We'll see about that.
Old 03-21-13, 07:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Thanks for the review.
Sure...anytime. .

A smaller sub MKZ would be a welcome addition to the Lincoln line-up as well. Some good things are happening at Lincoln, but there is still much work to be had.
There would have to be a potential market for it. Right now, I'm not sure that's the case. But, if so, it wouldn't hurt to give the ATS some domestic-nameplate competition.

That said, the MKS needs a major overhaul as it is no true flagship nor replacement for the Town Car.
Yes, Lincoln is going to rue the day they dropped the Town Car. At the Ford/Lincoln dealership I was at yesterday for the review, the dealer's buisness manager, a very courteous middle-aged lady, happened to be right there in the showroom when they got the keys and the dealer-plate for me for the test-drive. She introduced herself to me, we started talking, and then we got on the subject of the Town Car. She said that sales of used Town Cars have been nuts......just going through the roof.. They can't keep any in stock. The ones being traded in sometimes re-sell the same day, before they can even be reconditioned in the used-car department. She said that a number of local limo-firms and Town-car customers are mad as hell that they can't get new ones any more.

I'm not necessarily one to say "I told-you-so"....but the hot used-car market for Town Cars was something that I first predicted some time ago, when the announcement was made to stop Town Car production. We will probably see the same thing (but maybe to a slightly lesser extent) with the Cadillac DTS/De Ville. They are (likely) going to be in high demand as used-cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-21-13 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 10:51 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sure...anytime. .

There would have to be a potential market for it. Right now, I'm not sure that's the case. But, if so, it wouldn't hurt to give the ATS some domestic-nameplate competition.

Yes, Lincoln is going to rue the day they dropped the Town Car. At the Ford/Lincoln dealership I was at yesterday for the review, the dealer's buisness manager, a very courteous middle-aged lady, happened to be right there in the showroom when they got the keys and the dealer-plate for me for the test-drive. She introduced herself to me, we started talking, and then we got on the subject of the Town Car. She said that sales of used Town Cars have been nuts......just going through the roof.. They can't keep any in stock. The ones being traded in sometimes re-sell the same day, before they can even be reconditioned in the used-car department. She said that a number of local limo-firms and Town-car customers are mad as hell that they can't get new ones any more.

I'm not necessarily one to say "I told-you-so"....but the hot used-car market for Town Cars was something that I first predicted some time ago, when the announcement was made to stop Town Car production. We will probably see the same thing (but maybe to a slightly lesser extent) with the Cadillac DTS/De Ville. They are (likely) going to be in high demand as used-cars.
Cadillac DTS won't have that spike, as the XTS has replaced it.

Lincoln sold Town Cars almost entirely to Fleet. Doesn't really fit in with the image they're trying to build. Also not great for profitability.
Old 03-21-13, 11:01 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn, I really expected you to also test drive the MKZ hybrid, as that one is the most attractive car in Lincoln's stable, at least in my opinin. The rear end on the MKZ is especially fancy looking. Oh well, I patiently wait for the hybrid review

And yes, cutting the Town Car is something I do not agree with. It is a piece of AMERICAN HISTORY! Honestly, no car ever screamed the good ol' USA louder to me, not even the Corvette. Sports cars are global, and if one were to be completely novice about cars, a Corvette can pass as foreign material. But man, seeing a Town Car just says America. The taxi cabs, the limos. The body on frame Town Car/Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis is a piece of floaty American history I will definately miss.

Let's not forget it also gave rise to the car with THE MOST street presence, bar none:
Easily making heads turn, click here!
Old 03-22-13, 06:59 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Anyone know when the MKZ became available? In Feb only 945 were sold in NA and 1,348 YTD. Not a good start if the car has been on the market for a few weeks.
Old 03-22-13, 07:27 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take the LAcrosse anyday over this. The interior of teh bUICK is stunning.
Old 03-22-13, 07:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lincoln (and Cadillac) recognized several years ago that their target demographic was aging - and departing this mortal realm . . . but until recently they weren't doing anything about it. They needed to attract a "younger" demo, not exactly teens and twenty-somethings, but forty -ish and older citizens were raised in the era of "downsized" cars rather than the wheeled aircraft carriers of the '50's. They wanted luxury, sure - but they expected at least a small amount of handling, braking, and accelerative properties baked into their sobersided sedan.

OK, you're not going to please everybody with a more modern take on the luxury car, but if you look at the sales numbers from Mercedes, BMW, and yes, Lexus among that older, better-able-to-afford luxury car demographic, you'll see probably 85%+ of your market. Trust me, if you go down the road peering under the steering wheel and drooling, you're probably not a candidate for ANY car, let alone a new luxo-barge. Lincoln and Caddy have erased them from their target demo - finally . . . and are building cars for the rest of us. So we're showing a good deal of gray hair, and maybe we don't fold up into a tiny sportscar like we used to, but we haven't lost our tactile senses that determine that engineering and refinement are part of our idea of luxury.

Great review as always Mike!

I agree totally about that trunk, having owned a Civic EX sedan with a similar arrangement. The trunk was quite large, but because of the high sill that was required for torsional rigidity once they made the back seat fold, it was almost useless. It was fine for vertical loading of grocery bags, etc, but if you needed to haul something long and bulky - nevermind if the interior dimensions said it would fit inside - you weren't going to poke a grandfather clock, a shelving unit, or a roll of carpet through that narrow vertical mail slot. It's not a big trunk if you can't access most of it.
Old 03-22-13, 08:20 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Anyone know when the MKZ became available? In Feb only 945 were sold in NA and 1,348 YTD. Not a good start if the car has been on the market for a few weeks.
Ford/Lincoln has stated that they're slower getting the cars to dealers than ideally planned. Because of recent recalls of the Fusion and Escape, Lincoln was shipping a lot of the built units from Mexico up to Michigan for another round of quality checks before sending them back out to dealers. This is obviously time intensive and costly. But they said they'd rather have this than announce quick recalls on another new model.

It's unfortunate since they tried to create some buzz even back with the Super Bowl advertising, and then the dealers didn't have any units to show or sell.
Old 03-22-13, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Cadillac DTS won't have that spike, as the XTS has replaced it.
The XTS has a notably better interior than the DTS, and, of course, the AWD option for bad weather that the DTS never got, but, otherwise is not as comfortable...like most newer luxury-cars today, it is stiffer-riding then its predecessor.....something which will not sit well with many traditional Cadillac buyers. Traditional Cadillac buyers will also (likely) have a lot of trouble with the new CUEs system.

Lincoln sold Town Cars almost entirely to Fleet. Doesn't really fit in with the image they're trying to build. Also not great for profitability.
The problem is that Lincoln is in buisness to sell cars, not "build an image". And it is precisely those fleet-buyers you mention (primarily limo-firms and taxi/airport-service) and traditional Town-Car buyers who are angry that new ones are either very hard or impossible to get now. A company cannot sell what it does not offer.
Old 03-22-13, 09:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Ford/Lincoln has stated that they're slower getting the cars to dealers than ideally planned. Because of recent recalls of the Fusion and Escape, Lincoln was shipping a lot of the built units from Mexico up to Michigan for another round of quality checks before sending them back out to dealers. This is obviously time intensive and costly. But they said they'd rather have this than announce quick recalls on another new model.

It's unfortunate since they tried to create some buzz even back with the Super Bowl advertising, and then the dealers didn't have any units to show or sell.
A fairly large Lincoln dealer near me shows 20 MKZ's in inventory. Maybe inventories are improving. I hope Lincoln can get that initial buzz back.
Old 03-22-13, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Darn, I really expected you to also test drive the MKZ hybrid, as that one is the most attractive car in Lincoln's stable, at least in my opinin. The rear end on the MKZ is especially fancy looking. Oh well, I patiently wait for the hybrid review
I did test-drive the Ford Fusion hybrid a few weeks ago, which has essentially the same drive-train, but only did a short write-up, not a full-review. Ford had given out $50 Mastercards at the recent D.C. show to encourage test-drives, and I chose the Fusion Hybrid because the Fusion line, in general, impressed me. That's why I said, in the MKS review, that I thought the Fusion may (?) be a better buy for the money than an MKS. With the MKS review, I also wanted to specifically sample the 2.0T to see if it could handle the car's weight and AWD (it certainly can)

This is not a full-review, of course, but I hope it helps some.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...on-hybrid.html

And yes, cutting the Town Car is something I do not agree with. It is a piece of AMERICAN HISTORY! Honestly, no car ever screamed the good ol' USA louder to me, not even the Corvette. Sports cars are global, and if one were to be completely novice about cars, a Corvette can pass as foreign material. But man, seeing a Town Car just says America. The taxi cabs, the limos. The body on frame Town Car/Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis is a piece of floaty American history I will definately miss.
You certainly are not alone with this view.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-22-13 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-22-13, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

That fire-shrouded Super Bowl ad (I watched it, too) where the MKZ rises from the ashes of the Town Car was, IMO, an insult to human intelligence. No wonder the company is in trouble.
Old 03-22-13, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Can't speak for IL where you are at, but MKZs are in stock now at East Coast dealerships, though not in big numbers. The dealership I was at (one of the larger ones) had about 4 or 5 of them...including a red Hybrid.
Old 03-22-13, 09:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrraider
I would take the LAcrosse anyday over this. The interior of the Buick is stunning.
I agree that the LaCrosse certainly has more chrome bling inside, but the quality of the plastics and other materials used inside the LaCrosse is not quite up to what Lincoln uses for the new MKZ. IMO, it's too much of the old GM plastic underneath, with a superficial thin coat of bling on top of the plastic to try and make it look showy. The LaCrosse's reliability record has not been impressive, while the MKZ, at least with past versions, has been average with AWD and well above average with FWD. The LaCrosse, however, like the MKZ, does have an AWD option for bad weather and an E-Assist Hybrid version, and Buick's standard factory warranty also matches that of Lincoln (and Lexus).

Quick Reply: MM Full-Review: 2013 Lincoln MKZ