Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

IS-F Cancelled!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 06:08 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard
Every time I read about a luxury car being sporty my skin crawls. When I buy a luxury car, I don't want a Camaro SS or a Corvette and feel a bump driving over a quarter. I want the seats to be like my armchair and the quiet like I am in a library.

Sports is when you compete. NASCAR is sports. Indy 500 is sports. Going with my wife to Lake Geneva is not sports. When the ride is over I want to feel sorry for me that it is, not: "Finally".

This is why I won't touch a German car. In Germany, they want to "feel the road". If I want to feel the road, I will get out of my Lexus, kneel down and feel it. Then, I will get up, dust off my pants or knees, get into my car and feel absolutely nothing. So, good-riddance to the IS-F and other "sports" abominations.
I don't understand your vehemence. No one is forcing you to buy, drive, or ride in an IS F. Lexus is not taking the ride quality of an IS F (or an IS or GS for that matter) and putting it into an LS. They're not doing it with the seats either, nor are they taking noise dampening out of the LS. The LS is as good for road isolation as ever. Your rant is no different than someone saying that Lexus should get rid of the LS because they think luxury should be only about sportiness.
Old 03-17-13, 06:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't understand your vehemence. No one is forcing you to buy, drive, or ride in an IS F. Lexus is not taking the ride quality of an IS F (or an IS or GS for that matter) and putting it into an LS. They're not doing it with the seats either, nor are they taking noise dampening out of the LS. The LS is as good for road isolation as ever. Your rant is no different than someone saying that Lexus should get rid of the LS because they think luxury should be only about sportiness.
he isnt the only one... we have another thread here where one user was asking where did all the quietness and luxury go in 2013 LS with F-Sport, forgetting that the regular 2013 LS is better than before when it comes to those two.

For a long time people in forums mostly, were against "options". I dont personally get it.

It doesnt really translate to real life, because I find it hard to believe that person looking at smooth 2013 LS wouldnt buy it just because there is optional F-Sport.

Just like people buying S550 dont care that AMG version has gazillion hp.
Old 03-17-13, 07:58 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

What I am vehemently against is bs fads. The "feel" of the road, the hard "euro" suspension, the metal pedals that have no logical purpose but limit my choices when I shop and the pleasure when I drive.

I like power and I like convertibles. I also like cruising distances. I spent close to a year looking for the right combination. I drove every imaginable car except for the super expensive exotics from Europe. The outcome was always the same: hard-riding and painful to my rear end and the back after just 15 minutes. (As convertibles go, I was ready to give up in the noise department.). My guess is that the car manufacturers do it deliberately to deliver on their own hype about "sportiness" and the gullible public buys it and I get screwed.

Why a 550hp car like CTS-V needs a stiff suspension and the seats that feel like plywood is beyond my comprehension. I would love to buy that car but I won't because GM designed it for the "spirited" drivers who never go farther than for a weekend ride to show off. By the time they really hurt, the ride is mercifully over. By that time I would be only by Gary on my way to Florida.

I am still waiting for an explanation where in the US other than Colorado, the "spirited" drivers can do all that "spirited" "like on rails" cornering without risking a serious accident.
hard riding? are you like 70 years old or something? there is a big market for a the guy with a family but still would like to have his performance. or the guy that wants a corvette and a luxury car but can have both.

so you want the ctsv to have 550hp, soft suspension and some plush seats? get outta here with that. have you ridden a sports bike? it's modeled after pure race bikes from the throttle to the power. they are not comfortable at all and you will be sore and ache all over sometimes. last thing you want is to be comfortable on a race sports bike with sensitive throttle. same as the ctsv. these are basically sports cars when you need them to be.

there is such a wide range of vehicles for people like you, try a Cadillac sts
Old 03-17-13, 08:10 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

What I am vehemently against is bs fads.
Sport luxury cars are a bs fad? I think I've heard it all now. Apparently all these sport luxury marques that have existed for the last several decades actually only popped up a few days ago and will be gone again next week.

If you can't find a car that you like, please start a thread on Car Chat and ask for recommendations based on your likes and dislikes. The helpful people on this board will assist you with their ideas and picks, just as they've helped a multitude of car buyers over the years.

I guarantee that it will be far more productive and beneficial to you than ranting and raving about the existence of a single, niche and low-production version of a model that no one will ever force you to drive, ride in, or buy. And at some point, I truly hope you'll realize that sport luxury cars going away just means that cars like the CTS-V will simply cease to exist - not that car manufacturers will suddenly decide to make them exactly to your preference.
Old 03-17-13, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Even if you don't drive fast or track your Lexus the new models drive much better than the old ones. It is clear that Euro tuning is what people want. This is not new to Lexus (IS 200/300 GS 300/400 SC 300/400).

If Lexus continued to offer cushy cars they would be in a mess now.

Old 03-17-13, 09:57 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO this is totally rumormill stuff. If lexus were to really end the ISF line, they would announce it because it will make everyone rush out to buy the existing IS-F, boosting sales number = more money.
Old 03-18-13, 03:21 PM
Squirrelz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It certainly is.

Unless it's a car that is built and used in competition, a "sport" car is as sport as a "sports" bar.

What, specifically, would I do in a "sport" luxury car that is different from what I would be doing in the same car except with comfortable seats and a softer suspension? Please be specific if you can.

Also, please keep in mind that where I live there are other people that can be hurt and the cops that gladly arrest the idiots who think the traffic laws do no apply to them.
Even though I'm not taking my car 10/10ths of its ability 24/7. I still want a car that handles nicely when I want it to. I also want a nice interior and exterior styling. What category do I fit into? That's right, the entry level sports luxury market. You're telling others that if they want a sports car, they have to be NASCAR drivers, they should only drive Subaru STi and Lancer EVOs, and that they shouldn't want finer materials and design in their cars? What a load of crap. I'm glad we have all these options available to the market. I have my entry level sports luxury market, you have your luxo-barge LS, ES, 7 series, S-class to ride in.

People enjoy different things for different reasons. You enjoy cars for being able to provide you with smooth comfort. I enjoy cars that have a mix of both the fun thrilling feel of a sports car, with a little mix of finer materials. Why is my reason for liking the car I like any more wrong than yours? It isn't. So grow up, and learn to accept that people have differing opinions on many matters that are completely different than yours.

Last edited by Squirrelz; 03-18-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-18-13, 04:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
^^^^ Well the confusion is that the IS F might live on as the RC F as coupe only. Which would be REALLY REALLY REALLY dumb since the next 3 will be
M3
M4
M4 Gran Coupe
M4 Convertible

We are hoping that this just means that the IS F will be stopped as the new model debuts and a sedan IS F comes. I hope Lexus doesn't drop the IS F just to focus on the RC F (and upcoming coupes)
I agree with you

I hope the IS F is not cancelled but I'm more interested in the potential RC F, as I plan on getting another coupe in the next 2-3 yrs. The M4 is looking amazing, but reliability factor scares me, unless I lease.
Old 03-18-13, 05:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I said it earlier, soon enough there will be rumor of Lexus brand being cancelled since Toyota wants to sell more Toyota's.

:-)

In reality, Lexus sales are up in 2012, by 18% world wide. You will only see more of everything, not less.
Old 03-18-13, 06:09 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been working with my Preferred Lexus dealer in ATL on getting an ISF, which Before I heard about the "Cancellation" I was due to order a 2014 Current (2IS) Bodystyle later this year. When I heard about the 'Cancel of ISF, I got in touch with them and I have email copies from Lexus Corp, they fwd to me. The ISF will not live on in the 2014 (3IS) Bodystyle. So If i want one, I have to order my F (MY 2013) now than later because there is no later after a couple more months.

(My Source is the same people BLUEPRINT knows..) I don't know anything about the RC-F but I think if its true, its a Logical step for the F-Version cars.
Old 03-18-13, 06:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amgone75
talking with many lexus staff here in japan, osaka to be exact, they are all saying the isf will continue and the gsf is coming....
they dont know more than american blogs! Lexus JP? Blah

:-)
Old 03-18-13, 06:56 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Richard, from your thread on what not to do when buying/selling a car, can you even afford these luxury sports car we are even talking about?
Old 03-18-13, 07:33 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

I own ES and SC. I bought both for cash.
that didn't answer my questions. can you afford a 70k and a 80k car right now in cash? since thats the way you said is the only way to buy a vehicle.
Old 03-18-13, 08:44 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I've been working with my Preferred Lexus dealer in ATL on getting an ISF, which Before I heard about the "Cancellation" I was due to order a 2014 Current (2IS) Bodystyle later this year. When I heard about the 'Cancel of ISF, I got in touch with them and I have email copies from Lexus Corp, they fwd to me. The ISF will not live on in the 2014 (3IS) Bodystyle. So If i want one, I have to order my F (MY 2013) now than later because there is no later after a couple more months.

(My Source is the same people BLUEPRINT knows..) I don't know anything about the RC-F but I think if its true, its a Logical step for the F-Version cars.

F Sport has zero credibility at this point.
What the hell was the point of all the marketing for LFA and ISF if Lexus is just gonna let that momentum go to waist???

MB, BMW, Audi have a perf version for each model in their lineup......Lexus back to Zero

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-18-13 at 08:54 PM. Reason: potty mouth
Old 03-18-13, 09:09 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

ok we are good.

Quick Reply: IS-F Cancelled!