Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Holden Commodore bows, presages Chevy SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 10:55 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default New Holden Commodore bows, presages Chevy SS

New Holden Commodore bows, presages Chevy SS

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/holde...photo-5629737/

Holden has unveiled its redesigned VF Commodore sedan in Australia, and it's making no secret of the fact that its prized rear-wheel-drive sedan will be exported to the USA as the long-awaited Chevrolet SS.

While the Australian arm of General Motors has held back on details concerning the car's mechanicals and engines, we at least get to gaze upon the new exterior shape and interior design. The trim level Holden went with for the debut is the luxurious, upscale Calais V model.

What we see is an evolution of the current Commodore, the design of which was already well-liked by most. The long, low and wide sedan shape is still there, but with a few more creases in the hood, new fender vents, LED daytime running lamps below projector lamp headlights, and a new rear end with an integrated lip spoiler in the deck lid. What we see is a design different enough from the current car that even if the SS looks exactly like this, we won't be getting something that looks like Pontiac G8 wearing a Bowtie (like the police cruiser Caprice does).

The interior of the new VF Commodore, however, is a much bigger leap forward for the car, upgraded with a slicker design that incorporates the latest infotainment technologies. We're talking a big nav screen (featuring the automaker's MyLink system), electronic parking brake, high-res Heads-Up display and, wait for it, power window switches moved to the doors!

The Commodore will also be available with a host of the latest driver tech, including Reverse Traffic Alert, Blind Spot Alert, Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and Auto Park Assist. The latter actually takes semi-automated parking a step forward by not only assisting with parking of the parallel variety, but also working with 90-degree angle parks, as well.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/10/n...vy-ss-w-video/
Old 02-10-13, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a future police car here in the U.S. In fact, that's more or less (but not exactly) what the last rear-drive 1996 Impala SS was...........a regular full-size Caprice with police-spec running-gear.

In fact, with the Crown Vic now gone (and the cops lamenting its loss), this car might give the Ford Taurus and Dodge Charger some good competition in the police-market buisness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 07:39 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It kind of looks like a Subaru Legacy.
Old 02-10-13, 07:50 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dang... Wish we could import the Holden!
Old 02-10-13, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Dang... Wish we could import the Holden!
Pontiac did sell two RWD V8 Holdens before they went out of buisness.....the GTO and G8 GT.
Old 02-10-13, 08:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Buick sells a version of the RWD Holden in China.....but I don't know much about it. Last week at the D.C. auto show, the Buick reps (I spent some time at the Buick display talking about the Verano with them) hinted that a larger RWD Buick, perhaps Holden-based, may be coming to the U.S. in the future.....but didn't give any details. (perhaps as another Electra, Lucerne, or Roadmaster?)
Old 02-10-13, 09:28 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Pontiac did sell two RWD V8 Holdens before they went out of buisness.....the GTO and G8 GT.
Yeah, I liked the G8 GT
Old 02-10-13, 09:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a future police car here in the U.S. In fact, that's more or less (but not exactly) what the last rear-drive 1996 Impala SS was...........a regular full-size Caprice with police-spec running-gear.

In fact, with the Crown Vic now gone (and the cops lamenting its loss), this car might give the Ford Taurus and Dodge Charger some good competition in the police-market buisness.
You realize they already have a "Caprice" selling to Police fleets right?

Old 02-10-13, 09:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
You realize they already have a "Caprice" selling to Police fleets right?
I had heard it as a possibility, but I didn't know if it was final or not, or if any had actually been sold to American-market police forces yet.

In my area, I haven't seen any yet. Most of what the cops are driving are either Dodge Chargers or older Crown Vics that are still in service.....with an occasional Ford Taurus or Chevy Tahoe
Old 02-11-13, 08:15 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They are definitely in operation in the United States. I have seen them in Seattle, Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas.
Old 02-11-13, 09:53 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

For some reason, Chevy is calling the car a Caprice for police use only. The retail/NASCAR version will be called simply SS. It, like the G8 and last GTO is an Americanized version of the Australian Holden. The top engine will be some version of the Corvette/Camaro V8 and only RWD will be offered. It should be in interesting contrast to the new Impala.
Steve