Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Corolla official pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 09:52 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This is uglier than the Civic....and the interior wow
Not sure if serious...

Old 06-06-13, 09:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ is that the same Titanium Silver found on the new IS? good looking color
Old 06-06-13, 10:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This gauge cluster speedo/tach sucks badly

This one is much more appropriate

Should have axed the 4-speed. 6-speed (or 8) across the board and ditched the old 132hp 1.8L in favor of the newish 140hp 1.8L across the board with an optional 2.5L I4 as a sporty trim. Lots of missed opportunities. Other than that the exterior is sleek and this will sell like mad
Old 06-06-13, 10:12 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, suprisingly, there are lots of design cues from the Furia concept down to the wheel.

That wheel gap just kills it though, but luckily can be fixed later on.

Interior is a stunner

Compare to the Furia concept:

[/IMG]

Originally Posted by Whitigir

Old 06-06-13, 10:58 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Not sure what the thought process is on the 4 speed. The current base model already has 5...
I think Toyota is going with the tried and true thing here. I dont work with Toyoda so i don't know for sure but i think the mindset is: If it aint broke.....

A proven 4 speed that runs 300k+ miles is a lot more valuable than a brand new 6 with an unproven expiration.

And seeing as Corolla is still hanging around at the top of the reliability ladder, the 4 speed won't hinder too many sales. The average consumer in this segment doesn't care/won't know and wants something that can carry a family, wont break down, is cheap, runs cheap, and is comfy. Toyota hits the mark as is evident with the global sales.

Not saying that they should let the competition fly by, but ToMoCo must have a very compelling reason to not be innovative. And in this case i think the reason is to outlast the competition with quality.

P.s. This may be also a reason why Lexus vehicles are recently using carryover powertrains. They may be "weak" but they are probably quality.
Old 06-06-13, 11:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

its very impressive vehicle... standard LEDs, move to larger wheelbase, same as Prius now, same or better interior materials than European Auris (and much better than US Corolla of old), Eco model over 40 MPG, LED standard, 6 speed manual standard.

It also looks great to me. Very nice design, inside and out, timeless.

They will sell tons... even more than before.
Old 06-06-13, 11:14 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
I like how the "black mouth" is metallic and not cheap plastic like the RAV4. Looks great from this angle.
Old 06-06-13, 11:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
I like how the "black mouth" is metallic and not cheap plastic like the RAV4. Looks great from this angle.
Well Rav4's is matte so scratches don't appear... this is painted black.

However in the interior, there is nicer instrument panel in S model than in Rav4 :-).

apparently there are LED DRL's there now, they did not lite them up in any of the pics, just like not lit up LEDs yet.

they also fixed 2 problems Auris interior has (plastic surround of the Entune), so this is best Corolla interior in the world right now, unlike usual US getting the worst one.

all Corollas feature LED lowbeam headlamps with LED daytime running lights, an in-glass AM/FM antenna, color-keyed outside door handles, color-keyed outside mirrors, a 60/40 split fold-down rear seat, power door locks with automatic locking feature, power windows with driver-side one-touch up/down, air conditioning with pollen filter, standard Bluetooth connectivity and eight airbags.
Old 06-06-13, 11:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting... not what I was expecting from the tease shots. The blue car here looks immature and toyish, almost Neon/Dart-like, with it's jacked up rear end, abbreviated trunk (hate this new trend), and massive wheel gap in back. No elegance or grace here, but I guess that's what you get for the high school/college kid S model crowd. Rims are also silly and unattractive. If Toyota was going out of its way to draw in a younger crowd, I think this design will do it handedly. My eyes will be more on the LE grade.
Also dislike the new equal-sided rear triangle window (HS250 and new IS have it too). It's a plain, unimaginative, and non-dynamic shape anyone could have drawn up. One of the easiest ways to jazz up the body of any sedan is at this kink. Missed opportunity.
Interior looks decent, but nothing knockout. In two or three years, I see magazines calling it functional, but bland and boring. Materials appear nice. Glad they made manumatic shifting as part of the package. Toyota and Hyundai really deserve a medal for taking a stand on giving the driver some control at the wheel.
Overall, I'm a bit letdown. It's neither elegant nor sporty. The tease photos highlighted the best parts, but the rest of the car seems underwhelming. I'm sure it will sell great though, which is the whole point for the company.
Now, the most important thing about this new Corolla is how it validates my theory the Camry designers fell alseep with the current model. With the new Avalon and Corolla, the whole point is finally driven home. Case closed.
Old 06-07-13, 12:05 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why oh why!

Looks ok i guess. They will still sale like crazy.
Old 06-07-13, 12:25 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Elantra still my favorite to look at.
Ew, no. I'm not sure about your taste anymore.
Old 06-07-13, 12:38 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not gonna like... the new corolla is pretty nice

Although I wish that the 4-speed wasn't there ...
Old 06-07-13, 12:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Good Impressions

Wow. For the first time in my 24 years on this earth, I can actually call the Toyota Corolla attractive — good looking, even. After seeing the redesigned 2014 Toyota Corolla in person at an event in Los Angeles, I really can’t believe the cars pictured in the gallery below are Corollas, especially considering how frumpy the ancient outgoing model is.
I had a chance to sit in the 2014 Corolla Eco for a moment and first impressions are positive. The interior was well designed and intuitively laid out; the front seats were comfortable, the materials were on par with new Honda Civic, and visibility didn’t seem to be affected by the big C-pillars. All-in-all, Toyota may have a winner on it hands — but who cares what I think, they’ll sell hundreds of thousands of them regardless.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-toyot...#ixzz2VVv8Zd62
Follow us: @MotorTrend on Twitter | MotortrendMag on Facebook

Old 06-07-13, 03:29 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by Whitigir; 06-07-13 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-07-13, 04:18 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I have to say though, I'm seeing a lot of Dodge Dart in this. Who would've thought!

Quick Reply: 2014 Corolla official pics!