Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus: Project 777L

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 04:49 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely looking forward to this.
Old 01-03-13, 05:23 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry, my bad.

In my industry (Big Pharma, also small and large biotech) you have to communicate your pipeline.

For some reason, the investment community puts up with this lack of transparency in the auto industry.

The "want you to buy what they have on the floor now" is so true at the dealership level.

It does look like Tesla is being straightforward about what they are bringing (but their business model flies in the face of the industry, company owned stores, put down a big deposit and get in line).
Old 01-03-13, 09:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Tesla has to create buzz to get anyone to put some deposits in and get cash into the company. And their limited production capacity almost guarantees that demand will be greater than supply, so customers will want to reserve a spot to get a product.

Most tech companies also hide (or try to hide) their upcoming product details as much as possible to not infringe on the sales of currently selling models. Yes you may know some idea as to timing of when it might come out, but you don't know the exact specifications, etc. Much like with cars you might know when a refresh or full redo is going to come.
Old 01-03-13, 10:01 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

LC550 sounds perfect
Old 01-03-13, 10:15 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Sorry, my bad.

In my industry (Big Pharma, also small and large biotech) you have to communicate your pipeline.

For some reason, the investment community puts up with this lack of transparency in the auto industry.

The "want you to buy what they have on the floor now" is so true at the dealership level.

It does look like Tesla is being straightforward about what they are bringing (but their business model flies in the face of the industry, company owned stores, put down a big deposit and get in line).
Did you really compare the auto industry to the pharma industry? It's an article and not even an interview.. It's more speculation on 2 facts that 2 coupes are coming.

Old 01-03-13, 10:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, my bad.

With all due respect, that's not how the auto industry works. At all. I'm not familiar with the biotech or pharmaceutical industries, but if that's how it works in your industry fine. It's different than the auto industry, or the tech industry.

In MOST industries, specifics of future products and future lineups are almost never announced ahead of time. The more heated and competitive and industry is, the less companies talk about future products. The auto industry is highly competitive, as is for example the tech industry. Both industries are big examples where companies try and keep future products secret. Those companies that spill out too much information about future products usually end up suffering the most.

Lexus has done something a bit different with the special advance previews of the GS last year and the 3IS most recently for select journalists. The thing is though these advance previews were purely for journalists to get a feel of both cars. No competitive or detailed information was released in these cases.
Old 01-04-13, 02:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Sorry, my bad.

Tesla is all new company with all new products... all they can do is communicate whats coming next.
Pharmaceutical industry is completely different story as well.

Imagine if Tesla told you that in 1.5 years they will develop battery that is lighter and can do double the miles. Who would buy Tesla now?

It is all common sense.
Old 02-05-13, 10:36 PM
bagyo
Driver

Finally!!! Hopefully Lexus will keep the horsepower and performance capabilities high because 500hp for a car that will debut in 2015 with a price tag of over $100,000 is not going to cut it, especially by German high-end sports car standards. Lexus has to blow the Euro's out of the water if they really want to make a splash and shut all the skeptics/haters up.
Old 02-05-13, 11:04 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Render looks good, but a little similar to the LS. I prefer the LF-LC though.

If they do push this coupe out, i hope they at least offer 3 different engine levels. Low power hybrid, medium gas, and high powered gas. Should at least boost sales over the SC.
Old 02-05-13, 11:42 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagyo
Finally!!! Hopefully Lexus will keep the horsepower and performance capabilities high because 500hp for a car that will debut in 2015 with a price tag of over $100,000 is not going to cut it, especially by German high-end sports car standards. Lexus has to blow the Euro's out of the water if they really want to make a splash and shut all the skeptics/haters up.
You can buy Shelby Super Snake for around 80K. I think 500hp for 100K is a bargain considering inflation and stuff.
Old 02-05-13, 11:43 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Exciting news, but I much prefer the LF-LC on lexus's website to this render
Same here

Either way, im happy Toyota/ Lexus will bring back this sexy coupe!
Old 02-06-13, 12:10 AM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

cant wait, i bet they working the hell out the IS-F engine, poor thing going to get stretch 5 ways (LSh,RC,LC,IS,GS) GM style, lol
Old 02-06-13, 05:43 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, my bad.

A French proverb is probably the best retort to this post: Comparaison n'est pas raison

Pharma has to communicate its pipeline due to the long regulatory approval process. If that hurdle didn't exist, you better believe that they wouldn't be as transparent. Even with that requirement, how many times have they been caught red handed going around the rules or plain out breaking them?

Tesla is a new entrant into a nascent category with very few competitors. They can't raise capital or get wealthy, intelligent people to "put a big deposit and get in line" without putting their plans out there.
Old 02-06-13, 05:59 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't buy into this article too much - there is a ton of speculation, and a lot of it doesn't seem too accurate. For example, I have no idea where the 4.2L engine comes from.

I do hope that the LF-LC comes in a non-hybrid, and thus offers a sportier version featuring RWD and a more driving-focused experience.

I also doubt the SC could possibly come in anywhere as low as 50k. The GS350 already starts at around 50k, doesn't it?
Old 02-06-13, 10:45 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't buy into this article too much - there is a ton of speculation, and a lot of it doesn't seem too accurate. For example, I have no idea where the 4.2L engine comes from.

I do hope that the LF-LC comes in a non-hybrid, and thus offers a sportier version featuring RWD and a more driving-focused experience.

I also doubt the SC could possibly come in anywhere as low as 50k. The GS350 already starts at around 50k, doesn't it?
That's near where the RC will be. I have no doubt the "SC" replacement will start in the high 80's and into the six digit mark. 2010 SC's were already 70K

Quick Reply: Lexus: Project 777L