Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

used cars less than 2 years old?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-12, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Yanz
I am considering getting a gently used car, but am wondering why there are so many used cars for sale less than 2 years old with low mileage. I can understand used cars that are 3 years old with 30k miles because of leasing, but when I see a 2011 or 2012 car with less than 10k miles for sale, it makes me skeptical. I would think someone sold it because there was something really wrong with it. Am I being paranoid?

I'd rather not spend more than 40k, so I'd rather get something like a low mileage GS350 than a 2013 IS250. Thanks in advance.
If you like the idea of getting a new car every couple of years, and don't want the high payments of an actual purchase, consider a new-car lease, but only if you don't regularly drive more than 10-15K miles a year, take good care of your car's appearance, and don't live in an area where it is likely to be vandalized or damaged by storms. Leasing can be an attractive option for some people, and, if your car is used for buisness, under current tax-law, you can still deduct the lease-payments (though that could change if Congress and the President decide to change those laws in the budget-negotiations). The reason leasing is usually cheaper by the month is that you are only paying-off the car's projected two or three-year depreciation, not its entire sticker price. But, you have to make sure you understand (and accept) the mileage-limits and wear-and-tear clauses in the contract before you sign....exceeding them can cost extra money when you return the car after the contract is up.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-12 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-21-12, 10:39 AM
Yanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I will look to buy. I also drive maybe 5k miles/year, so lease would not be a good deal I think? I plan to keep the vehicle for at least 8 years. Current vehicle is a 2000 Acura TL. Cars sure were cheaper back then haha.

I will take the advice here and see what good options there are for some bigger name luxury cars.
Old 12-21-12, 03:57 PM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lol that's a lot of cars!!!!
that does not include non-lexus cars...................... 55 total
Old 12-21-12, 04:41 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Keep in mind that some model Toyotas depreciate at such a SLOW rate, you're better off buying a new one. The 4wd Toyota Tacoma comes to mind. Its like buy a new one for about 25-28k, or buy one 2-3 years old with 30k miles for about 21-24k.

Really though, for what those damn Tacomas go for, you might as well buy a full size Chevy, Ford, or Dodge for the same $$$$$, as even the v8 models get about the same gas mileage now days, and you have a much larger, more capable truck.
The past few new cars that I've shopped for, each time, I have found a 1-2 year old model for sale on the internet for MORE than the price I can negotiate for a new one.
Old 12-21-12, 04:59 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

There are many reasons people get rid of cars after a year or two, some people just like new stuff and don't mind taking the huge hits. I don't understand taking huge financial hits buying cars every year or so but I do see it happen, when I get something I make sure I like it and won't mind keep it for a long time.
Old 12-21-12, 08:43 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Another possible reason not yet suggested is fleet returns. Companies with large fleets, such as rental companies, may not keep them for more than 2 years. Less common now but more common a few years ago were the fleets kept as company cars for salespeople and as executive perks; those cars were turned over and returned to the manufacturer every year or two. That is less common now, as company cars are typically leased.
Old 12-22-12, 12:53 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
that does not include non-lexus cars...................... 55 total
Lol! You're my new idol.

I usually fall under number three as well but sometimes use reason number one or two as a scapegoat.
Old 12-22-12, 02:49 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

For me it has been not learning my lesson and buying what I wanted the first time around. My needs changed in 2010 so I bought my first truck. But I did not do enough research and ended up having to trade up to meet my needs in august of this year. Same Make, just different engine, model and options. The second one is the one I should have bought in the first place.