Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

November 2012 Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 07:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I will say the internetz are a riot when every year for the past decade we hear about the "camry killer"
the accord/civic combo easily outsold the camry/corolla combo by about 6k. but obviously the main issue there though is the need for a new corolla.
Old 12-07-12, 12:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the accord/civic combo easily outsold the camry/corolla combo by about 6k. but obviously the main issue there though is the need for a new corolla.
Are you making combinations to beat Toyota's Camry now? All I said are people that always say the Camry is going to beg whooped are always wrong as the Camry always remains #1 in sales. I'm not even arguing if the Camry is a better car, could care less and it isn't in many cases.

In a desperation attempt to somehow spin figures and try to deflect Toyota's accomplishment, you combine the Accord and Civic for one month? I mean we can combine a million things to beat the Camry.

Are you even aware how the Civic sold like that last month? Here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/23/h...2013-emergenc/

EXCLUSIVE
Honda warns dealers to clear out 2012 Civic
You could buy a Civic last month for the price of ham sandwich. They were letting them go as the 2013 arrived last month. The Accord is also all new.

But hey, lets try to downplay Toyota, the parent company of Lexus on Clublexus. Rather lets use the "combo" methods to retort.

Here are some other combos we could possibly use. Toyota is the #1 selling brand in the world fighting with VW for that title. Toyota is also #1 in quality it seems. Toyota sells in more segments than Honda actually participates in. If I combined;

Real Trucks
Sports Cars
V-8s
V-10s
RWD
Real 4x4s
Real Hybrids
yadda yadda

It wouldn't be close to a comparison. They don't' have them, they don't offer them. Bottom Line the fact remains that people for years and years crown the next new mid-size family car "the camry killer" and the only thing killing is the Camry.

Combo away!

Old 12-07-12, 01:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
This was Corolla's best November in the History of sales :-).
So no, there is probably no need for new Corolla in the US yet.

Toyota has a lot of competition internally and as such its single models cant really sell that well. Maybe next gen Corolla will sell better but this one is already selling like crazy for a Corolla.

Both Camry and Corolla have a lot of Toyota competitors - like Prius family, Avalon... All of them are cross shopped. Honda doesnt have that so I can see Camry getting less sales once new Corolla comes out as a lot of cars in Toyota stable will be in similar price range.

2013 Camry specs are out and it got some upgrades to equipment and interior detailing... i now expect GS350 to also be more updated than previous model.
Old 12-07-12, 04:59 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

There are none to buy. If you want a certain color good luck. They are selling every FRS/BRZ you can get. The BRZ is even WORSE. I was looking for a white/black loaded model and I HAVE to go out of state.
That's a bit strange given the sales history thus far.....usually if there's that much demand then sales would increase month to month as supply catches up. In this case it looks like after a couple of initial spikes, sales has dropped of precipitously. Let's hope that's not the case and it is indeed a supply issue...
Old 12-07-12, 05:00 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
By that rationale, then there was no need to redo the '12 Civic either?!
Old 12-07-12, 05:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
By that rationale, then there was no need to redo the '12 Civic either?!
kind of - new Corolla might be nicer, a lot nicer, but it will likely be more expensive as well. target demographics will probably be need to changed, a lot.

And as I said, it is best November in the histroy of Corolla sales in the USA. It is what it is.
Old 12-07-12, 05:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ST430
That's a bit strange given the sales history thus far.....usually if there's that much demand then sales would increase month to month as supply catches up. In this case it looks like after a couple of initial spikes, sales has dropped of precipitously. Let's hope that's not the case and it is indeed a supply issue...
Twins sell worldwide, not just in USA. In October, they sold 3800 in Japan alone.

Subaru said that could have capacity of up to 100k/year for twins, but that probably means doubling of their current capacity... and Subaru already has problems with producing enough cars, as they are maxed out everywhere.
Old 12-09-12, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Are you making combinations to beat Toyota's Camry now?
no. the camry sells great, no question.

In a desperation attempt to somehow spin figures and try to deflect Toyota's accomplishment, you combine the Accord and Civic for one month? I mean we can combine a million things to beat the Camry.
lol @ 'desperation attempt' - i really couldn't care less about camry, corolla, accord, or civic, as i have little interest in boring sedans.

it was just an observation as normally the camry/corolla combo completely dominates. good point about the '12 civic being blown out.

But hey, lets try to downplay Toyota, the parent company of Lexus on Clublexus. Rather lets use the "combo" methods to retort.
wasn't downplaying toyota at all. your honda-loathing and toyota-defensiveness are shining bright.

It wouldn't be close to a comparison.
you're quite right. comparing toyota and honda companies overall is completely pointless, just like the trashing of honda or acura to feel good about toyota and lexus.

toyota and lexus are doing great. their product lines are improving a lot. sales are hot. they still have models i consider weak, but it takes time to upgrade everything and they seem to be going in a great direction.

honda, a much smaller company, is doing ok, their new accord is great and doing great, as is their cr-v. but we all know their acura brand is a very mixed bag at best, in a near/entry luxury segment, with some weak and/or old models. the refreshed rdx is very nice though. they do not (cannot) compete with lexus at all.
Old 12-19-12, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I have to agree. The Corolla may not be very popular among auto enthusiasts for its relatively sedate and appliance-like road-manners, but it is an excellent, reliable, well-built compact that gets the job done for untold numbers of owners. Its only real need, IMO, is a five or six-speed automatic like most of its competitors now have...the smooth/refined but inflexible four-speed is now clearly out of date.